Postby Mr_GTR on Wed 9/Jul/08 10:15am

Ha, ok a lot of that went over my head, but that sounds fun. And you came away with some results!
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 9/Jul/08 1:36pm

Those are most excellent Pete, great set, must have been a bit of fun, and friggin' cold.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby woodsy on Wed 9/Jul/08 1:48pm

VERT wrote: cheers, all photos were long exposure with a shutter release. Each exposure was around 4-5 minutes. Settings used were ISO 100, F/7.1 and I was playing with the white balance on some of them. None of the shots were colour altered in Photoshop, its amazing the colours you can naturally get from long exposures.
I didnt use a flash on any apart for the tomb where I ran around the back of building and fired the flash a couple of times.
Otherwise on some of the shots I was using an LED torch to light up some of the areas.

4-5 min exposures how long was process time b4 you could veiw on lcd bout the same time or quicker
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby VERT on Wed 9/Jul/08 3:47pm

woodsy wrote:
VERT wrote: cheers, all photos were long exposure with a shutter release. Each exposure was around 4-5 minutes. Settings used were ISO 100, F/7.1 and I was playing with the white balance on some of them. None of the shots were colour altered in Photoshop, its amazing the colours you can naturally get from long exposures.
I didnt use a flash on any apart for the tomb where I ran around the back of building and fired the flash a couple of times.
Otherwise on some of the shots I was using an LED torch to light up some of the areas.

4-5 min exposures how long was process time b4 you could veiw on lcd bout the same time or quicker

you mean how long it takes to appear on the LCD of the camera after I had released the shutter release?

A couple of seconds? umm what difference would that make? I thought that would be dependant on how fast the CF Card was that was used, nothing to do with the taking of the photo
VERT
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 9/Jul/08 3:53pm

VERT wrote: so I was hanging out in the cemetery last night and this is what I got http://www.flickr.com/photos/vertphoto/ ... 2808/show/

Shit hot! :thumbsup:
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby TheRealHotKarl on Wed 9/Jul/08 4:00pm

VERT wrote: so I was hanging out in the cemetery last night and this is what I got http://www.flickr.com/photos/vertphoto/ ... 2808/show/

I like the last one 7022 was it? real nice with the stars in straight lines, the Black of the surrounding graves. liked.
TheRealHotKarl
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby NZsquigg on Wed 9/Jul/08 4:49pm

Awesome pics vert, curses for only having a point and shoot camera :angry:

anyway heres a few of the semi decent pictures I have.

Also, what does ISO stand for? I want to take photography next year so I need to learn these things
DSCF1150.jpg
A frog found at a stream in Daintree Australia
DSCF1108.jpg
Rail track
DSCF1156.jpg
Lol beer bottle with a torch underneath
NZsquigg

Postby avantibill on Wed 9/Jul/08 7:21pm

VERT wrote:
woodsy wrote:4-5 min exposures how long was process time b4 you could veiw on lcd bout the same time or quicker

you mean how long it takes to appear on the LCD of the camera after I had released the shutter release?

A couple of seconds? umm what difference would that make? I thought that would be dependant on how fast the CF Card was that was used, nothing to do with the taking of the photo

My camera takes just as long to process the image to LCD as the length of exposure.

EG, 20 sec exposure, 20 seconds for camera to "develop" pic to LCD screen, so it takes say 2 minutes to see a pic I took for a 1 minute exposure (1 minute exposure + 1 minute proccessing)

The first pic in the slide, I am guessing that i a green laser pointer? (How many mW?)
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby NZsquigg on Wed 9/Jul/08 7:40pm

someone should try some long exposure shots of street riders at a skate park or somewhere
NZsquigg

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 9/Jul/08 8:00pm

avantibill wrote:
VERT wrote:
woodsy wrote:4-5 min exposures how long was process time b4 you could veiw on lcd bout the same time or quicker

My camera takes just as long to process the image to LCD as the length of exposure.

EG, 20 sec exposure, 20 seconds for camera to "develop" pic to LCD screen, so it takes say 2 minutes to see a pic I took for a 1 minute exposure (1 minute exposure + 1 minute proccessing)

The first pic in the slide, I am guessing that i a green laser pointer? (How many mW?)

You must have noise reduction on in the camera, it is in one of the function settings. Noise reduction takes a fake black 'exposure' that lasts as long as your exposure in an effort to reduce long exposure "noise" - for instance, bad pixels, grain etc etc. I have it turned off myslef as I cannot be bothered waiting for it, and I do not mind noise.
PhilterNZ

Postby NZsquigg on Wed 9/Jul/08 8:10pm

Some other of mine I found from the Omaka Airshow in 07
DSCF0441.jpg
DSCF0463.jpg
DSCF0474.jpg
NZsquigg

Postby avantibill on Wed 9/Jul/08 8:34pm

PhilterNZ wrote: You must have noise reduction on in the camera...

Yeah I have. I will turn it off next time I will do a long exposure and see the difference. Funny, I still think of noise reduction as the extra feature "Dolby Noise Reduction" that were on mid and upper range cassette decks from the 70's and 80's. (OK, I am showing my age now :( )
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Thu 10/Jul/08 4:19pm

LOL - you remember tapes !!! Dolby was way too flash for my mono cassette player....
Karamatura 2.jpg
Karamatura Stream
PhilterNZ

Postby VERT on Thu 10/Jul/08 4:33pm

love your water Phil
VERT
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Thu 10/Jul/08 6:16pm

That one is straight out of a Craig Potten (sp?) calendar Phil!

Nice long exposures VERT - very cool effects with the flashes in the background etc. Very cunning you are...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts