Re: Your Photography

Postby Malcy on Mon 27/Oct/14 9:24pm

Stink.

I wondered if that's what that CME meant, a bit gutting really. :)

Stupid sun spots that don't produce *shakes fist*
Malcy
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Malcy on Mon 27/Oct/14 9:26pm

And a wee google finds this

http://www.aurora-service.net/aurora-forecast/

Nice!
Malcy
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby ryda on Tue 28/Oct/14 8:07am

A couple from Port Road street sprints in the weekend

ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby EoinC on Tue 28/Oct/14 9:27am

Good onya, Ryda - Glad to see someone else posting on here. Looks like you had a good time at the sprints.
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby ryda on Tue 28/Oct/14 9:39am

Thanks Eoin, it wasn't to bad, did a lot better than last time :),

I'm still working through my Oz trip pics

Mutton Bird Island to the left from Lock Ard Gorge viewing platform

ryda
"WTF"

Postby EoinC on Tue 28/Oct/14 9:58am

ryda wrote:I'm still working through my Oz trip pics

Mutton Bird Island to the left from Lock Ard Gorge viewing platform

Need moar, Ryda, otherwise I'll continue to flood the fotowidth with trackie bumpf. It's not an idle threat...
A26.jpg
A27.jpg
A28.jpg
A29.jpg
A30.jpg
A31.jpg
A32.jpg
EoinC

Postby ryda on Tue 28/Oct/14 10:27am

EoinC wrote: I'll continue to flood the fotowidth with trackie bumpf. It's not an idle threat...
:paranoid: :crazy: :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Apostle looking West from the beach at Gibson steps
this pic (actually none of them) did the sea justice, it was pretty big and lots of spray

Jetty at Lorne
Last edited by ryda on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:22am, edited 1 time in total.
ryda
"WTF"

Postby ryda on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:22am

Cape Otway Light House
Cape Otway Light House

I guess seeing the the Otways is considered a "Rain Forest", I spose you would have to expect rain :paranoid:

House at Cape Otway

Looking west from the the 12 Apostle viewing platform...it was worse than wellington railway station for people
ryda
"WTF"

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:30am

Dumb question maybe however how many of the images posted on here are straight from camera, zero editing ? They're depressing as I've got a 40D but never get any shots that look even close to most on here. The colours are so much duller. Operator error, equipment error or just lacking editing ?
UK_Exile
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby ryda on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:39am

Not sure on the answer to your question as I am still learning. :paranoid:
Editing is all part of Photography, it has been for ever......what used to be done in the darkroom is now done on a PC (ok, and a bit more), :)
ryda
"WTF"

Postby RJD on Fri 31/Oct/14 8:41am

None of mine. I shoot raw as I choose to do the editing myself rather than letting the camera do defaults.

Good colour can be got in camera, but you usually need to set the white balance out of auto (auto will try its best to neutralise colour in golden hour etc!), and get the exposure correct ( under or over will dull the colours). Also set picture style to vibrant or landscape.
RJD
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 31/Oct/14 9:24am

Same as Rob, I shoot in RAW. For colour photo's, it's generally just adjusting the white balance (particularly for indoors), changing the saturation if required, and cropping. For B&W, it may be adjustments to exposure and contrast, and cropping (same as I did in the days of the darkroom). I edit my photo's for printing and still haven't got the interwebby part figured out, so my exposures look all over the place when I see them on here (doesn't seem to stop me posting, though...). I still don't know how to do all the layery-compositing stuff in photoshop, so mine are just as snapped. I'm a bit of a numpty with the software, and probably only use about 3% of what it's capabilities. I still tend to think in B&W, so I'm often looking for subtle and harsh contrast when I'm wielding a camera.

Be aware that there can be a big difference between how things look on a monitor, and how they print.

The main thing to 'focus' on is getting a reasonably good composition in the first place (and making sure you do actually take photo's). At any given outing, the number of photo's you should have taken is n+1. Most of all, have fun.
EoinC

Postby EoinC on Fri 31/Oct/14 10:23am

A bit mor (note that these theories may not be 100% accurate, but form a basis for me):
When I get off my erse and actually go and take photo's, I generally think about what I'm after first (which helps me get up off my erse). My lenses are all primes (ie not zooms), but I usually only take one with me, otherwise two. The reason for shooting in RAW, rather than JPEG, is that you are capturing a bit more light data (or rather not compressing it), and you can make more adjustments post-capture. If your camera has a histogram feature, you can use it to see whether your exposure combination (shutter speed / aperture / ISO) is clipping the highlights and / or shadows. Any clipped light data is detail that you won't be able to do anything about (whiter than white / blacker than black). Clipping is OK in some shots, but it is something for you to control, rather than the camera's auto settings. If you use a histogram, the basic mantra is "expose to the right" (ie get the bulk of the light data sitting over to the right of the histogram, watching for highlight clipping). This is based on the accumulative nature of digital photon capture (ie lighter capture equals more data equals more you can do with it, and a higher signal to noise ratio).

This may result in photo's that don't look good on the camera's screen, but give you a good range of light data to work with (ie good details throughout from shadows to highlights). Some scenes may not require this, but I think it's generally better to capture as much as you can, and decide on the final exposure levels when viewing on a monitor, or a print.

It's good to have a clear understanding of the effects of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, particularly as applied to your camera / lens combination. The overindulgence in track cycling photo's posted above all suffered from having to use high ISO's (3200 to 5000) in order to get shutter speeds fast enough to counter camera shake. It also forced me to use lenses wider open (often with aperture settings of f/2.0 - 2.8) than I would have liked given that the subjects are moving and changing direction quickly. That results in lots of crappy unusable shots, but that's the joy of digital. If your camera has a manual setting, try testing the relative effects of changing aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, so that you are familiar with what you need to adjust to get the composition, exposure, and noise level that are going to get your shot as you want it.

I don't think it's important, but I seldom look at the back screen to see how the shot turned out. I tend to use it to take test shots of the scene to get the basic exposure levels, but after that it's just shooting, with the occasional check to see that I'm not way out of whack. That continues until I move to the next scene / location.

Caveat emptor: I'm a numpty with my own likes, dislikes, and non-scientific theories, so everything above may be crap, but it works for me in my own little World.
EoinC

Postby danose on Fri 31/Oct/14 12:11pm

UK_Exile wrote:Operator error, equipment error or just lacking editing ?

I'm guessing you're just taking JPEG off the camera? I'd go invest in either Lightroom or DXO optics (and switch to shooting RAW). Not a lot between them price wise, Lightroom is a touch more user-friendly though

https://shop.dxo.com/login_product.php#dop

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/store/han ... uType=FULL

note with the Lightroom one you the Adobe site will try hard to sell you the 'creative cloud' license for AUS$10/month (which gives you both lightroom and photoshop) - wheras that link will get your JUST a proper perpetual license for lightroom for a one time payment. Not that the cc deal is bad - but I suspect you'll never ever use photoshop so a perpetual license will work out cheaper in the long run
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 31/Oct/14 12:25pm

I quite like a lot of the pics I took at a winter kayak race but there's none with bright colours. They are all straight off camera & posted so that competitors had pics & certainly posted not for their photographic image value! Are any of these type images ok for editing in software ? Or are they too dull to 'fix'
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Using 40D with new Tamron 16-300
UK_Exile
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts