Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Tue 24/May/11 9:02pm

thelongwalk wrote:To theylooklikeus, welcome in from the lurking. As far as I know Squatters is still a no bike zone, it has always been one in the past. Squatters is not really a priority for the WCC at the moment. The map I've got doesn't show any private land ownership but there is off course a process to go through including talking to adjacent land owners, who would use the track, what type of track is best, does it need to be fixed , who would do maintenance etc. With its current design it is very steep (perhaps unsustainable from a maintenance point of view for MTBing) so perhaps a two way track would be off benefit but this would mean doubling the length.

I'm personally quite keen to build/extend a track there that fitted into the vision of WCC but it will be a few years away as we are building windmill next in that area and WCC wouldn't like two jobs in one place.

But if you wish to get the ball rolling or ask questions, email Dave Halliday at WCC, tracks ranger and a damn fine asset for MTBers in Wellington.

Until then please keep away as the locals definitely know it's a no bike zone and at least one is allegedly already against mtbers. Don't want to give them further cause to be upset.

Thanks for the info, and yeah I will keep off it. If I'm staying in Wellington at the end of the year when I'm finished my degree I may just have to enquire about it.

As for its hypothetical future maintenance, I would leave it as-is; I like the roots and ruts :sly: but that probably wouldn't suit most users...
TheyLookLikeUs
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby ursavage on Fri 27/May/11 4:41pm

DSC_8362.JPG

Ok so the other night... and only around the driveway ... but I just had to try out the new Wee Ride! By the looks both Dad and Son (and Grandma) were pretty wrapped!

Mum was somewhat less than impressed that Dad took son out in pyjamas, and yes he chose the red flaming helmet :crazy: :lol:

Looking forward to more off-road adventures!
ursavage
"Would rather be riding"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Nathan007 on Fri 27/May/11 7:57pm

The Weerides a great seat. Bought one for our at the time 14 month old. Also put it onto a singlespeed.
Took a couple of rides before I put the seatpost to the right height and took the flats off and my normal pedals on.
Nathan007
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 27/May/11 10:16pm

ursavage wrote:Ok so the other night... and only around the driveway ... but I just had to try out the new Wee Ride! ... and yes he chose the red flaming helmet!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
yay flames - things always go faster if they have flames. Hope you have hundreds of happy kms with that, I did with my youngest (AND her first test ride was in her pajamas too! :butbut: :) ).
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 27/May/11 10:59pm

ursavage wrote:
Ok so the other night... and only around the driveway ... but I just had to try out the new Wee Ride! By the looks both Dad and Son (and Grandma) were pretty wrapped!

Mum was somewhat less than impressed that Dad took son out in pyjamas, and yes he chose the red flaming helmet :crazy: :lol:

Looking forward to more off-road adventures!

Awesome!
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Sat 28/May/11 2:55am

Another awesome ride (gosh I love nighttime MTB-ing so much). Just got my bike back from i-Ride - replaced my stuffed SRAM drive train with Deore dual cranks (22-36) and XT rear mech & shiffters. Plus I got a great deal on a set of near-new Stans ZTR Flow wheels - these took 900g off the bike weight after I got rid of the tubes. So I had to take it for a test drive ...

I went into Mak Pk with the wombatessa: in at St Albans; up Rimu & AMP, Big Tom, Magic Carpet, Koru-SA-ML-Aratihi to the top. Awesome feeling to have kept up with my daughter all the way to the summit, haven't managed that for a long time! Then down NF-JFK-Smokin-RL Ext, Bog Tom again, SWIGG & Starfish, back up Koru and down Snakecharmer to exit the park at St Albans.

Just a little 16.5km ride there. Most of the tracks were in pretty good condition: Magic Carpet is a bit greasy in places but holding up well; the track surface on SWIGG & Starfish seems to be totally water-resistant. Quite a lot of eroded sections on Aratihi and the top section of North Face has a few 'glue-pot' mud holes that have grown a lot since last time I was up there. JFK and Smokin = fantastic! And the carpark bypass track is really good - despite being built on a boggy riverbank, the surface has survived all the rain without any deterioration at all.

The bike was so much smoother and more responsive, I managed to average the sort of speed I was doing 2 years and 10kg ago when I was training for Karapoti. It's hard to credit that the benefit of the new wheels could be that big, but there was nothing else to make it a fast ride - it was pitch dark, on wet/greasy tracks, I was feeling the effects of lack of sleep and lack of training. I guess I'll have to get out more now to prove that wasn't fluke.
:)
fatwombat

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 28/May/11 4:55pm

awesome sift out at the sandpit with my beautiful wife. caught up with Clark Smith and David Beatson for a real good strop through some trails i haven't ridden in a long time. broke the dog, HARD.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Sat 28/May/11 7:56pm

Very pleasant afternoon riding Makara Peak on a spectacularly fine Wellington day
Colin
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Sat 28/May/11 11:25pm

shmoodiver wrote: broke the dog, HARD.
Oo-ER! :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 29/May/11 1:51pm

yeah, she was totaled by the end of the ride. Fun little sift out at riverhead with spokes today, slippery, mucky, muddy fun times!
006.JPG
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Sun 29/May/11 3:22pm

Transient->Highbury Fling->Fenceline->Goldmine->Fenceline - at this point was going to ride up Scouthall and down Deliverance, but looked up Wrights hill and thought fuck it - Cruise down the road to Makara Peak->Koru->Swigg/Starfish X 2 then back to town via the road. Was gonna go back via Salvation->Scouthall then the way I came, but too lazy. Working 6 day weeks for the last few weeks and not being bothered to ride on my day off cause a) it's been raining or b) i've been too lazy and just wanted to sit at home has turned me into an unfit fatty haha

Also, trying to ride up goldmine is a dumb idea, for future reference...

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/fullscreen/35707450/
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 29/May/11 3:28pm

Mt Vic Ridgeline -> TTS -> Brooklyn -> Transient -> Mt Vic Ridgeline -> Ridgeline -> Bus Tunnel.

Cruisy ride with good buddies - good times! Being able to catch up to DH boys on our trail bikes makes me :)
speeding_ant
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sun 29/May/11 5:35pm

Spent a couple of hours at Makara Peak today and then rode home to Johnsonville via the Skyline and Mt Kaukau,etc. Bloody windy.

The last mini-cattle stop before Mt Kaukau has a piece of 2x4 nailed across it. Anyone know why?
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby rackerrack on Sun 29/May/11 6:09pm

Did a few runs with my boy at Kapiti.It wasn't to shabby at all.
rackerrack
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby fatwombat on Sun 29/May/11 6:24pm

MTBO on Mt Vic - 12 km of sprinting, stopping and sprinting again, clambering up steep banks with bike on shoulder ... awesome pain, awesome fun.
fatwombat

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts