Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Colin on Wed 11/May/11 10:59am

A week ago now, but anyway:

Saturday - sifty ride from Anakiwa to Mistletoe Bay.

Some real 'your bike can stand up on it's own' mud where DOC are making improvements to the track.

Sunday - Aorere to James MacKay Hut on the Heaphy
Monday - James MacKay to Kohaihai River (Karamea)
Tuesday - Kohaihai to James MacKay
Wednesday - James MacKay to Aorere

Heaphy is a better riding than I was expecting. Enough technical interest to be fun but easy enough to be accessable by most reasonably fit riders on a well maintained bike.

Aorere to Karamea is the more fun way to ride the track.

Both ways is big. But doable.

Weather can be extreme. We had to spend an extra night at Brown Hut waiting for fords at the Aorere end of the track to go down to a level we could get the cars through.

Friday - Peaking Ridge.

Broke my hanger at the top of the hill so had to come down chainless. Still a kick arse trail though, even if I struggled to get my flow on chainless.
Colin
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby ursavage on Thu 12/May/11 12:01am

Night ride in levin. Super fun, great to ride all the hard work that the crew has put into the up hill. Much more interesting than grovelling up the 4WD track. Rode down Gardeners (?) track for the first time (thanks Tyler for showing us the way). Wow what a cool track. Top section was dry and flowed great. Bottom section was rooty, muddy, slippery and oh so much fun! Was even more interesting when our ride buddy forgot to charge his light and it turned off all of a sudden half way down the hill. Oh well you better ride in the middle from now on. I rode at the back, was fun everyso often to turn my head as he approached a techy section ... Lights out ... Bwahah
ursavage
"Would rather be riding"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Caffeine on Thu 12/May/11 11:37am

Colin wrote:A week ago now, but anyway:

Saturday - sifty ride from Anakiwa to Mistletoe Bay.

Some real 'your bike can stand up on it's own' mud where DOC are making improvements to the track.

Sunday - Aorere to James MacKay Hut on the Heaphy
Monday - James MacKay to Kohaihai River (Karamea)
Tuesday - Kohaihai to James MacKay
Wednesday - James MacKay to Aorere

Heaphy is a better riding than I was expecting. Enough technical interest to be fun but easy enough to be accessable by most reasonably fit riders on a well maintained bike.

Aorere to Karamea is the more fun way to ride the track.

Both ways is big. But doable.

Weather can be extreme. We had to spend an extra night at Brown Hut waiting for fords at the Aorere end of the track to go down to a level we could get the cars through.

Friday - Peaking Ridge.

Broke my hanger at the top of the hill so had to come down chainless. Still a kick arse trail though, even if I struggled to get my flow on chainless.

That's an awesome week or riding. Glad to hear the Heaphy is fun - looking forward to giving it a go when I can.
Caffeine
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby fatwombat on Fri 13/May/11 12:50am

Tuesday's ride was so good I had to go back and make sure I didn't imagine it so I sort of re-rode the same tracks a bit differently: started with a loop of Big Tom - Magic Carpet - Top Koru, then up SA-ML-Aratihi to the summit - no stars tonight, just drifting fog and a biting northerly. Then down NF-JFK-Smokin-BTW-S&S to the carpark, up Koru-SA-ML-Aratihi to the summit again - the fog was thicker, the wind was bitier the second time. I was a bit knackered from so much exertion instead of eating dinner, so I finished with another descent of NF etc to the picnic table, hard left down AMP connector and out at the top of Allington.

There was less surface water than Tuesday but the tracks seemed greasier. The potholes on North Face are worse - especially after the first 2 switchbacks there is a little rock step, and a mini-bog has formed at the bottom of it. If you're not alert it'll grab your front wheel and invite you to make a close inspection of the track surface (it nearly got me on the 2nd descent tonight).

The ride would have been more fun if I didn't have a mechanical problem: as I headed in at the start of my ride I discovered that my shifters could move the chain to bigger cogs but not to smaller ones. After a bit of faffing I found that by pushing my thumb up against the big shifter lever as I clicked the small shifter lever, the cable released and shifted down, so at least I could ride. It was cumbersome though, and now I've lost half the skin off the knuckle of my right thumb!
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 13/May/11 12:55am

ursavage wrote:Night ride in Levin. Super fun, great to ride all the hard work that the crew has put into the up hill. Much more interesting than grovelling up the 4WD track. Rode down Gardeners (?) track for the first time (thanks Tyler for showing us the way). Wow what a cool track. Top section was dry and flowed great. Bottom section was rooty, muddy, slippery and oh so much fun! Was even more interesting when our ride buddy forgot to charge his light and it turned off all of a sudden half way down the hill. Oh well you better ride in the middle from now on.

Is that in the bike park where they hold the secondary schools national champs? Some fantastic tracks there - in the dry - but being pine needles over clay, don't they get pretty greasy in the wet? They certainly had carnage at the NZSS event in April!

I rode at the back, was fun everyso often to turn my head as he approached a techy section ... Lights out ... Bwahah

Oooh that is cruel!!!
:sly: :D
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby ursavage on Fri 13/May/11 7:33am

Yes the same. Although we were riding a different line.

I hear you about the clay, Pine needles, and let's add in large volumes of rain... Can get so clagged up you can't even get the wheels to turn in the frame sometimes! The joys of Manawatu riding :-)
ursavage
"Would rather be riding"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 14/May/11 4:57pm

First go around The Grand Loop at Makara on the single speed.... Pretty hard yakka but we got there.... My knees are ridiculously warm. Is this a sign that I should probably get the next biggest cog?

Anywho, loving the single speed at the moment... :D
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 14/May/11 5:17pm

Not sure Karl, does warm knees when you are young mean worn knees when you are old ? :eh:

Did a couple of loops of Transient, as far as the armouring, to see how it rode. Amazing how quick the wind and sun has dried out most of the track, except the slippery east side. Put another 50 psi in my back shock, has been way too boggy, much nicer ride.
thelongwalk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 14/May/11 6:43pm

Yeah, I have heard bad things about knee deterioration so I'll have to investigate maybe going to the next biggest cog to save my already gammy knees...

I'll have to take a spin up Transient this week to check out the armouring one night.. too bad the weather's gonna crap out again tomorrow... :crazy:
mudlover/hater

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Sat 14/May/11 8:47pm

mudlover/hater wrote:Yeah, I have heard bad things about knee deterioration so I'll have to investigate maybe going to the next biggest cog to save my already gammy knees...

I don't ss anymore because I stuffed a knee tendon. Dr reckoned I could have avoided it by working other muscle groups for balance (core especially) and doing plenty more hamstrings stretches.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 14/May/11 8:55pm

Yeah, I put my back out (week off work) last year after a particularly strenuous (read: all leg muscles cramped up at the same time!) Mt Vic race last year and the physio gave me a bunch of good stretches and exercises to do. Been making a point of doing those after every single speed ride so far so I'll see how I go but the bigger cog might be the best preventative measure... ;)
mudlover/hater

Postby kneemick on Sat 14/May/11 9:25pm

ursavage wrote:I hear you about the clay, Pine needles, and let's add in large volumes of rain... Can get so clagged up you can't even get the wheels to turn in the frame sometimes! The joys of Manawatu riding :-)

Coming down Gardiners today made a mental note to change the Larsens out on the hardtail due to this lol
kneemick
"In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby sifter on Sat 14/May/11 10:28pm

mudlover/hater wrote:Yeah, I have heard bad things about knee deterioration so I'll have to investigate maybe going to the next biggest cog to save my already gammy knees...

I'll have to take a spin up Transient this week to check out the armouring one night.. too bad the weather's gonna crap out again tomorrow... :crazy:

I recommend knee-warmers in these colder months too :thumbsup:
sifter
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 15/May/11 12:48am

I rode vegas today, mostly dipper and tahi. over and over and over.... :crazy:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Sun 15/May/11 9:52am

I rode Mt Oxford last night. About 1200m of vertical beech forest descent with night lights :D

Feckn freezing up the top, but good once we got into the forest again.

Was great fun!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts