Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby bugle on Wed 5/Jan/11 11:20am

32 or 34 (what ever the 09 STP0 came std with) I'll go out to the garage and count the teeth today lol

It's all good most times, climbing steep stuff on loose surfaces and down hill on the road are the weak points. The E13 bash guard is great for munting over stuff too!
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 20 years 3 months

Postby jeyboi on Wed 5/Jan/11 5:58pm

Headed out this arvo once the mist/cloud had cleared. Turned out to be a stunner, with almost no wind even up on the hilltops.

Started with a wee blat at Makara - St Albans, Snakecharmer, then the top of Zacs, Northface, RLE, Swigg & Starfush. Headed along the road to Northland, up Tinakori Hill to the summit, and then along the ridgeline to Wilton. Down and through suburbia, a wee detour through Smila Cres, and up the hill to Broadmeadows. Off the tarmac, and continued to the top of Kaukau. Bombed back along Skyline to Makara Hill, and finished with a run down Wahine before heading home. A nice brisk ride in 2:12 :thumbsup:
jeyboi
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Wed 5/Jan/11 6:22pm

jeyboi wrote:Pram beach > Perham's Road > Karapoti course > 3 Sisters > Pram beach.

Parts of the Karapoti course are rough as guts - the bottom of Dopers, a few sections of Deadwood and the middle section of the Rock Garden. Heaps of loose chunks of rock, making the climbing difficult.

Sure was good to get out though, after 10 days off the bike! :blush:

Karapoti + 3 sisters (on a good day) is up there as one of my all time favourite rides.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby kiwi_zg on Thu 6/Jan/11 7:04pm

It was blowing hell of a gale on top of Makara peak this afternoon, pretty dodgy on the top part of Zac's.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 6/Jan/11 8:29pm

Wobbler wrote:did a 491/spoonhill run today, that track is well minta. Cleared all the switch backs on the way up unlike the other day which got me stoked.

same again, such a rad track.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 7/Jan/11 8:16am

had a wee sift in the royal albany trails last night, LOTS of fun with steep switchbacks and narrow as trails with lots of over hanging trees.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby jimmi on Fri 7/Jan/11 9:05am

shmoodiver wrote:had a wee sift in the royal albany trails last night, LOTS of fun with steep switchbacks and narrow as trails with lots of over hanging trees.

Hey Shmoo. Great to hear you enjoyed the trails! Just a reminder - trail building and maintenance is the second Sunday of every month meeting at 9am at the cell tower (ie - this Sunday).
jimmi
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 7/Jan/11 9:19am

i'd be there with bells on if i wasn't in vegas for the weekend
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 7/Jan/11 9:42am

keen to berm some of them corners too
shmoodiver

Postby wachtourak on Fri 7/Jan/11 6:42pm

Wobbler wrote:
Wobbler wrote:did a 491/spoonhill run today, that track is well minta. Cleared all the switch backs on the way up unlike the other day which got me stoked.

Obviously it needs more rollers though
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 7/Jan/11 7:05pm

wachtourak wrote:
Wobbler wrote:

Obviously it needs more rollers though

oh of course, more rollers are the solution to a problem that does not exist
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby hickie on Sat 8/Jan/11 6:48pm

East harbour regional park. Best time to ride it is in a southerly as you get pushed home and the Ocean is far more interesting.
Image0241.jpg

Did about 40km in all with a couple of short brutal climbs (which I didn't clear on the single speed). Mostly 4wd track, but some single track and a couple of board walks.
Image0229.jpg

Now the GWRC owns the farm at the end the private property signs are gone and the gate is wide open so the only obstacles to getting round to the Wainui coast road are the sandy beach at the end and the Wainui river...
Image0246.jpg
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby fatwombat on Sat 8/Jan/11 6:55pm

Just a little 22km diddly-bop in Makara peak: AMP Connector, RLE, Sally Alley, Missing Link, Aratihi, Upper Leaping Lizard, Lower Leaping Lizard, Possum, Nikau Valley (VERY overgrown, lots of faceslapping!), back up ML & Aratihi to the summit, North Face, Smokin', Big Tom's, SWIGG & Starfish, Carpark Bypass, up Koru, down the 4WD toward St Albans, up Rimu and out at Allington. All very sheltered except for 100m over the summit.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby AJK on Sun 9/Jan/11 6:05pm

Had a bit of a mosey around the Hutt today, did some tracks I'd not done before. Saw a reasonably amount of sun.

Out to the top of the Wainui hill via the Hutt Road/Petone, etc. Then along the Mt Lowry and Rata Ridge tracks (which are pretty sweet). Back across Wainui and a Jungle Gym/Labyrinth/Spoonhill Loop, then back up Jungle Gym and Labyrinth and along the ECNZ Road all the way to Stokes Valley. Back into Wellington via some of the Hutt River Trail and the Hutt Road. About 90km all up I think, if only the Southerly had died off a little more for the return leg. Oh well, a good ride - and now I have beers to enjoy!
AJK
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby D2 on Sun 9/Jan/11 8:43pm

Awesome ride up the Harper & Avoca valleys. Ventured past first huts as far as we could - need to cross the river next time a couple of times & reach another hut further up, now that we have studied the map a bit better. Magic South Island high country with fantastic weather thrown in. Camped at Lake Coleridge.
D2
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts