Vanessa Quin Breaks Neck

Postby Tugboat on Mon 29/Jan/07 3:34pm

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but stuff is running a story that reports Vanessa Quin had a lucky escape at the Nationals after fracturing her C2 vertebrae. Knew she had crashed and injured herself but didn't realise it was that serious!! :crazy:

www.stuff.co.nz wrote:Top New Zealand mountainbiker Vanessa Quin broke her neck during the national championships in Nelson at the weekend but has escaped being paralysed.

The former world downhill champion fractured her C2 vertebra after spilling in her seeding run on Saturday. She also cracked her sternum and suffered hand injuries.

The horror crash comes after an injury-plagued 2006 season, where she shattered her arm in a world cup race in Spain and needed further surgery after the Rotorua world championships in August.

It's left the 30-year-old from Tauranga contemplating another six months off her bike, although she's just relieved she's still able to walk.

"I've had some pretty amazing crashes where I've walked away scot-free ... but this one was over the handlebars which is never good," Quin said from her hospital bed.

The C2 injury is the same vertebra former Superman actor Christopher Reeve and top New Zealand jockey Ken Browne both crushed, leaving them paralysed.

It's the second time in five years Quin has broken a bone in her neck, after crashing on a velodrome in 2002. Her boyfriend, Niki Urwin, is a former motocross champion who was paralysed after crashing during a competition in Melbourne four years ago.

"Because I've been through one neck injury, I wasn't too scared when they diagnosed it, but there were a few teary moments. The doctors are pretty happy with the stability of it, and there are absolutely no spinal problems at all - no tingling or anything."

Quin's crash came halfway through her seeding run on a deteriorating track through a Nelson pine forest.

"I was quite winded so I sat there for a minute until the marshalls came and got me off the track.

"I knew straight away that things weren't all where they should be but I just needed to move because I knew how long things take to happen that far into the forest."

With the aid of a marshall, she managed to walk nearly a kilometre down the track to the first-aid tent, where a medic immobilised her neck.

Six men then stretchered her off the course to a nearby forestry road and Quin said the response from organisers and event staff had been `outstanding'.

She will now be in a metal brace for up to 10 weeks and hopes to be well enough to fly back to Tauranga later this week, determined to get back on a bike again soon.

"Like I've said in the past - you can't live your life in cotton wool.

"I'll take this one day by day, and I'm just feeling very, very lucky."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3944208a1823.html
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby random-dude on Mon 29/Jan/07 3:44pm

bugger, thats not to good
random-dude
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby VERT on Mon 29/Jan/07 3:50pm

wholey fcuk!!
VERT
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby bugle on Mon 29/Jan/07 3:57pm

Damn!

All the best for a quick recovery Voq
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 20 years 5 months

Postby lubie on Mon 29/Jan/07 3:58pm

Heal Quick Vanessa!
lubie
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby Mel on Mon 29/Jan/07 5:31pm

Aw stink! All the best to VOQ for her recovery. Hope to see her back racing again soon. :thumbsup:
Mel
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Mon 29/Jan/07 5:41pm

this makes me sad.

can vorb send her a 'get well soon' card :eh:

I'd sign it :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby kipp on Mon 29/Jan/07 5:46pm

Vorb could also send her a "congratulations your harder than superman" card aswell, i'd sign that :D
kipp
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby YakinAway on Mon 29/Jan/07 5:52pm

that sux all the best to VOQ for a speedy recovery
YakinAway
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby pulsar on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:05pm

Holy shitballs! That's awful, especially after she's just coming back after her wrist being bung. She fully rocks, especially cos' she gave me a race jersey. W00t. I hope she has a fast recovery. :crazy:
pulsar
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:09pm

thorg wrote: this makes me sad.

In a spirit of doing something positive:

I will buy the card, get it signed by Chch people, and send it to wherever (wellington?) for someone else to coordinate getting signed, then it can be sent where vorbers are, and eventually passed to Vanessa.

If anyone thinks its a good idea. Natral might volunteer for seeing ppl to get it signed up there if we twist her arm.

Anybody think its a plan?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:17pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:

I will buy the card, get it signed by Chch people, and send it to wherever (wellington?) for someone else to coordinate getting signed, then it can be sent where vorbers are, and eventually passed to Vanessa.

If anyone thinks its a good idea. Natral might volunteer for seeing ppl to get it signed up there if we twist her arm.

Yes. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:18pm

Do I have to sign it if I carried her down?
SlackBoy
Member for: 20 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:22pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:

One per region? then she gets LOTS of vorb get well cards :)

Send to a nice vobii in her region, who takes them to her on a pre determined date?

I'd volunteer to do Northland :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby Ug on Mon 29/Jan/07 6:24pm

You must have been very busy on Saturday Slackboy. I think it was you that helped me when I crashed as well.
Ug
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts