Re: Your Photography

Postby phunk on Sun 21/Aug/16 12:04pm

I know even less about lenses at the moment, maybe something like a 35mm 1.4 prime, or 50mm 1.8? Or a fixed aperture zoom?
phunk
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby hoze on Sun 21/Aug/16 9:21pm

Nikon's entry level cameras are really good value, and you will get superb image quality.
I have the D3300 which is the cheapest DX model, and it's a great camera.

I use a 35mm f1.8 prime (DX), and a 50mm f1.8 (FX) prime. I also have a 16mm Samyang which is really sharp. THese are all great lenses, and relatively inexpensive.

On a Nikon DX camera, like the 5500, the 35mm lens has a field of view similar to a 50mm on a full frame camera. The 50mm has a field of view similar to an 80mm full frame, which makes it good for portraits.

Nikon don't make as many DX lenses as they do full frame FX lenses, so you have a smaller number of options to choose from. You could also say that the best quality Nikon lenses are all FX, and all expensive.

There are also some limitations with DX cameras like the 5500 and the 3300. You can't get the shallow depth of field that is possible with a full frame camera, and while you can mount older manual focus lenses, the metering system doesn't work correctly.

If I was going to buy a Nikon DX camera today, I would probably try to save up for a D7200, rather than the 5500. It has a better view finder, and has better support for older Nikon lenses. Having said, that I’m sure the 5500 is a great camera, and like you said it has a touch screen, which i understand lets you choose your focus point.
hoze
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby hoze on Sun 21/Aug/16 9:24pm

Snow on the Tararua's from my deck...
ImageDSC_5552 by John McKnight, on Flickr

D3300, Nikon 55-300 VR.
hoze

Postby hoze on Sun 21/Aug/16 9:33pm

These shots were taken on a Nikon F-301, with a 50mm E-Series F1.8, using Fuji Superia 200.
I "scanned" the negatives with my DSLR and a macro lens, and then colour inverted in the Gimp.
(I'm still figuring out how to process colour negs, so the colours are a bit out there...)

ImageWindMan.gimp by John McKnight, on Flickr

Boats for Eoin:

ImageDSC_5483.third by John McKnight, on Flickr
hoze

Postby Conners on Sun 21/Aug/16 9:51pm

Nice shots hoze!
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Sun 21/Aug/16 9:56pm

Your marina photo reminded me of this one that I took back when I thought having watermarks on photos was a good idea...
The similarities are endless, I mean there's boats in a marina, and...... yeah that's it :D

ImageBridge Marina - Tauranga by Ben Conway, on Flickr
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 22/Aug/16 10:22am

hoze wrote:These shots were taken on a Nikon F-301, with a 50mm E-Series F1.8, using Fuji Superia 200.
I "scanned" the negatives with my DSLR and a macro lens, and then colour inverted in the Gimp.
(I'm still figuring out how to process colour negs, so the colours are a bit out there...)

Boats for Eoin:

Kewl, John. The colors have come up well on the Superia. There are a few PS actions floating around to remove the orange base of many C41 Colour films.

Boat a and Oriental Bay - You can't go far wrong with that combo!
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 22/Aug/16 10:25am

Conners wrote:Your marina photo reminded me of this one that I took back when I thought having watermarks on photos was a good idea...
The similarities are endless, I mean there's boats in a marina, and...... yeah that's it :D

Nice shot, Ben, and well exposed. Watermarks are so 2010... :rolleyes:
Cheers.
EoinC

Postby EoinC on Mon 22/Aug/16 10:48am

phunk wrote:I know even less about lenses at the moment, maybe something like a 35mm 1.4 prime, or 50mm 1.8? Or a fixed aperture zoom?

Good advice from John. In full-frame, most fashion / portraiture is with 80-90mm focal length. Having a fast lens allows for shallower depth of field, but also more options in ambient light vs flash for a given ISO. With the Nikons, low light noise is very well handled, so increasing ISO is relatively less of a concern.
I would put 90% of my spending focus on getting a good lens (and there are several excellent 3rd party lenses available now - eg the Sigma Art's). Feet make wonderful zooms, and learning to shoot with 1 lens is, at least in my mind, a good way to focus on what's important. Difference in camera features are becoming so minute as to be of little real consequence, unless you are working in a very specialized area.

Nearly everything I shoot currently (90% is film) is with either a 35mm lens on 135-format (same as full-frame), or 80mm on 120-format (equivalent to 50mm on full-frame). The little 35mm is wonderful to use walking around (not good for portraiture etc), and the 80mm on MF is a beast to carry, but a pleasure to use, and doesn't really have me looking for another focal length...unless a SWC 38mm Biogon happened to come walking through the door.

I would also suggest looking at some of the mirror-less options over a DSLR. Because of the reduced distance from the Sensor to the lens mount, they allow using almost any lens with an adaptor.
EoinC

Postby phunk on Mon 22/Aug/16 4:21pm

Some awesome advice cheers. Now leaning towards the d3300 as I can then afford to get a few lenses to play with, I cant see myself ever spending large on lenses so not too much issue with the limited DX range. Will look at the mirrorless options too - although the wife wants an optical viewfinder so will see.
phunk
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby jo on Mon 22/Aug/16 4:32pm

:blink:

Once I "retire" I might re-invest again. Thanks EoinC - I might post up one or two of my old favourites. I have scanned my whole collection now and ditched the slides :cry: At least I can look at them properly now. :rolleyes:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby jo on Mon 22/Aug/16 9:06pm

From Brewster Hut.
img482.jpg
Toilet photo
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby hoze on Mon 22/Aug/16 9:41pm

Conners wrote:Your marina photo reminded me of this one that I took back when I thought having watermarks on photos was a good idea...

ImageBridge Marina - Tauranga by Ben Conway, on Flickr

Wow, that's really nice Ben, Great flickr stream as well.
hoze

Postby hoze on Mon 22/Aug/16 10:09pm

phunk wrote:Some awesome advice cheers. Now leaning towards the d3300 as I can then afford to get a few lenses to play with, I cant see myself ever spending large on lenses so not too much issue with the limited DX range. Will look at the mirrorless options too - although the wife wants an optical viewfinder so will see.

Phunk,
If you are looking at the d3300, there is a new model that's just been released - just for variety I think they called it the d3400. It might be worth waiting for that to go on sale or looking for a discounted price on the 3300.

Also if you get a kit lens, then make sure its the AF-P version - like this one -https://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CAMNIK3310I&name=Nikon-D3300-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit-with-18-55mm-AF. The AF-P version has faster auto-focus, and is apparently sharper than the older 18-55 VR2.

Also don't forget about Canon. Take a look at Conners' Flickr stream https://flic.kr/ps/YjksF to see the excellent results you can get with Canon gear if you know what you are doing.
hoze

Postby hoze on Mon 22/Aug/16 10:32pm

ImageKatherine's Right Hand by John McKnight, on Flickr

Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX. F2.8 @ 1/250th.

ImageDSC_4345 by John McKnight, on Flickr

Nikon 50mm F1.8G. F8.0 @ 4.0 seconds.
hoze

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts