Re: Things That Make You Go W00t

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 29/Feb/16 8:14am

EoinC wrote:Making some slowwwww progress (destructive) on our gaff-rigger restoration...

jeebus, that's a lot of old wood... nice. Cant wait to see the finished product. Love that shit!
What length is (s)he?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 29/Feb/16 11:26am

21' plus ~4' bowsprit. Built out of 3/4" jarrah planks by the Soltoggio brothers as a commercial squid-fishing boat.
Here she is when she was in her element...
Imagea007 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea004 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jo on Mon 29/Feb/16 12:49pm

That looks awesome!

One day when I'm retired I'll buy a boat like that. :love: And move somewhere with a better climate for sailing than wellys. :rolleyes:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby EoinC on Mon 29/Feb/16 11:42pm

Chur, Jo. She was great for adventuring (and for reading Barbie books whilst being swung in a hammock hanging from the boom). Camping in an open boat is uber-grouse.The Phoenix will rise again...

The bow sticking into the picture in the last photo above is a slightly bigger sistership (~25'), which was built out of kauri in NZ back in the 1890's. She was sailed as an open boat across the Tasman, and spent 50+ years commercial fishing out of Sydney, before sailing around the South of Australia to Perth. Brave fellows...
Imagea008 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Imagea009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 1/Mar/16 5:49pm

New bits make me go woot :D Especially when it makes my bike slackererer. Thanks Booto.
whee.jpg
AgrAde
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 1/Mar/16 10:41pm

Nice, looks like they've changed the top cap style since I got mine. They are an excellent thing.

Is that a Straitline SSC stem? If so, the faceplate should be tightened flush at the top before torquing the lower bolts, no gap.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 1/Mar/16 10:43pm

Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby AgrAde on Tue 1/Mar/16 10:57pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Nice, looks like they've changed the top cap style since I got mine. They are an excellent thing.

Is that a Straitline SSC stem? If so, the faceplate should be tightened flush at the top before torquing the lower bolts, no gap.

The little pump around the carpark felt promising, going to head out on a ride tomorrow and hit some familiar trails. Looking forward to seeing how the bike has changed.

It is a straitline stem, no idea what sort was just given to me out of a parts bin. Thanks for the heads up. It didn't come with instructions :blush:
AgrAde

Postby beater32 on Wed 2/Mar/16 8:41am

I'm keen on trying one of the Works Components Anglesets too. So interested in hearing the difference. What angle are you changing from ?
beater32
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 2/Mar/16 11:34am

My Works is in a DMR Trailstar frame. They were always a bit steep for me, you can't get more than - 1° in a straight 1&1/8" head tube, but it made a real difference.
+ bonus it drops the BB a little too, to help compensate for the over forking I gave it.
Velocipedestrian

Postby beater32 on Wed 2/Mar/16 12:21pm

On a Kona Process with 68 Deg h/a . It gets a bit nervous at speed..Was thinking just a 1deg change might help. Bit of a costly experiment though.
beater32
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 2/Mar/16 12:36pm

I fired a customer today
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 2/Mar/16 12:56pm

:D they must have been a twat.

beater32 wrote:I'm keen on trying one of the Works Components Anglesets too. So interested in hearing the difference. What angle are you changing from ?

Theoretically, from 68 to 67. Haven't measured it though.
AgrAde

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 2/Mar/16 4:29pm

Do it, the $/upgrade is a good one.

Congrats Shmoo, it's gotta be satisfying to be doing well enough to ditch the munters.
Velocipedestrian

Postby philstar on Wed 2/Mar/16 5:57pm

shmoodiver wrote:I fired a customer today

what'd they do?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Sifting - Latest Posts