Re: Port Hills Bike Park

Postby gumby on Thu 29/May/14 8:15pm

Cracroft.jpg

Christchurch, New Zealand
Breaking from our traditional role as consultant, Select Contracts is developing an exciting new project in the Southern Hemisphere. Having secured a lease on mountainous land adjacent to a population of over 350,000 people we are currently in the consenting process for a major new bike park development that will be the first of its kind worldwide. Also including ziplines, accommodation, retail and restaurants, the project heralds the beginning of a new concept that will operate year round. With full Municipal and Government support we are currently inviting expressions of interest in the second round of funding (the first round is now fully subscribed). Anticipated returns are over 25% and detailed market research is available to support the business plan.

Ms. Sutton is Chairperson of Select Contracts Group, a vertically integrated design, fit-out, business planning and operational experience in the global leisure industry, including leisure resorts, theme parks, water parks, hotels and indoor entertainment centers in all corners of the world. With offices in Dubai, Vancouver, UK and New York, Select underscores its business practices with respect for the environment, green initiatives and sustainable energy while delivering results for its clients. Prior to Select, Ms. Sutton served as a drilling engineer in the North Sea with Continental Oil Co. and in the gold mines of South Africa with Anglo American. She graduated with First Class Honors from the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology as a civil/mechanical engineer. On September 30, 2013 in connection with the acquisition by Habanero Properties LTD., Fiona Sutton has resigned as a director of the Company.
gumby
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 29/May/14 9:17pm

If you ever meet Ms Sutton you may be surprised. She has an english accent and when you meet her in business mode the fact that she loves nothing more than fanging through a DH park on a DH bike would never cross your mind...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 29/May/14 9:21pm

slowMTB wrote:
Trail wrote:For locals I am sure a season pass will add up to enough value for enough people. For visitors who fly in to use the park, well they will pay what they will pay... just like they do at Whistler or Queenstown...

Even if a few locals think it is cheaper to drive shuttles than to use the lifts I doubt it would kill the business.

Probably missed it BUT do we actually have a price for a season pass yet?

Not but we should start having a panic now
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 29/May/14 10:01pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:Suppose it might depend what price gravity is selling for on spot markets?

i believe its about 9.8 $/m2 currently
wont change much in the future I don't think

hypothetically less on rogue trails though, or it would be if they existed, which of course they don't :paranoid:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Slapheid on Thu 14/Aug/14 4:28pm

Not sure if this has already been posted on one of the other related threads but, as its happening TODAY, its worth a bump:
"Proposed Christchurch Mountain Bike Adventure Park Information Drop-in Session - The applicant/owner for the proposed Bike/Adventure Park in Cashmere Forest (McVicars) on the Port Hills is holding an information drop-in session for the public. The session will provide a display of the development plans and a full description of the development proposal. Any questions and feedback will be welcomed. Thursday 14th August 2014, Between 2pm and 7pm, Cashmere Bowling Club Pavilion, 12 Crichton Tce, Christchurch."
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 14/Aug/14 7:34pm

Apparently a lot of old codgers were down there complaining about potential water drainage into their property. Didn't hear about it till this avo myself so couldnt get down but I pulled this off KB's facebook.

wuffy
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:08pm

They cut all the trees down....
RHR_Rob
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:11pm

I can still see some trees :)
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 20 years 3 months

Re: Port Hills Adventure Park

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:17pm

Um, so how does turning a bunch of trees on a hill into an Adventure Park (not a bike park) increase drainage of water into adjacent properties !?

There were significant numbers of local residents in attendance at todays information sesssion, and that is good as they can now say they are adequately informed about what is proposed - a "family oriented adventure park" with a luge, zip-lines, low level chairlift, rock climbing, oh, and mtbiking (beginner to World Cup DH level) + base station accommodation, bike hire & shop, food & beverage outlets, etc

Seems pretty much all go, providing no snags come from this consultation / consenting process.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:19pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:I can still see some trees :)

420blazeitforjesus
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:35pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:Um, so how does turning a bunch of trees on a hill into an Adventure Park (not a bike park) increase drainage of water into adjacent properties !?

I'm guessing that there will be some clearing to construct the activities. That will contribute.
Plus I'm sure there'll be paths etc to access the pylons --> more paths of least resistance for water coming off the hill.

It's not a big deal but it does need to be addressed. That valley collects a shitload of water (there's often a lake in winter).

Friends of mine own the vineyard at the bottom of the Park. The company has been super accommodating of their requests around dust and security (road will be sealed and company will construct deer fencing on the boundary) :thumbsup:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:40pm

scatter wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:Um, so how does turning a bunch of trees on a hill into an Adventure Park (not a bike park) increase drainage of water into adjacent properties !?

I'm guessing that there will be some clearing to construct the activities. That will contribute.
Plus I'm sure there'll be paths etc to access the pylons --> more paths of least resistance for water coming off the hill.

It's not a big deal but it does need to be addressed. That valley collects a shitload of water (there's often a lake in winter).

Friends of mine own the vineyard at the bottom of the Park. The company has been super accommodating of their requests around dust and security (road will be sealed and company will construct deer fencing on the boundary) :thumbsup:

ah
I met your freinds once- lovely people. does that mean the access road is down the east side of the valley?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:48pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:I met your freinds once- lovely people. does that mean the access road is down the east side of the valley?

:)

Access is off Worseley's (on the flat before you get to the square right), through the farm so more along the western side of the valley than the eastern
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 14/Aug/14 8:51pm

scatter wrote:

It's not a big deal but it does need to be addressed. That valley collects a shitload of water (there's often a lake in winter)

They had photos on display today which showed the lake - maybe a whitewater course outfall to the Heathcote could be incorporated.....

But yes, my bad, there will inevitably be some trees cleared to create activities. The plans also showed a moderate sized residential 'subdivision of the flat land between Worleys Road & park boundary, which of course will have to have drainage installed.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 14/Aug/14 9:18pm

So i can buy a house with a chairlift at my front gate :-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions - Latest Posts