Re: Go The Dads!

Postby thelivo on Mon 30/Sep/13 5:04pm

Mel wrote:
Or, just get a 20" MTB if he's not going to race BMX. They're still okay to muck around on at the BMX track. I recommend one without front suspension as it's usually heavy and mostly ineffective. You can get a better ride quality by using a rigid fork and lower pressure in a high volume tyre.



20" MTB's seem to mostly weigh more than a medium sized country, and have gears hence why I was looking at the BMXs.


You know what the real problem is though... one bike is never enough. ;)


I totally agree. His dad, not so much. ;)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby dented on Mon 30/Sep/13 6:48pm

thelivo wrote:OK thanks guys. The reason was that my godson is ready for something bigger than his 16", the race BMX's look like nice frames, (and gears for 5 year olds seem to get zero use from having watched a few), he lives a few hundred meters from the BMX track in Taupo, and we were wondering if we could get something that would do dual duty because he loves riding in the forest as well. So given that my idea won't work, any suggestions?

I'd be looking at a mini BMX race bike and I'll tell you why. I have 3 kids that race BMX ages 7, 5, and 4. But, we also like to get to the Redwoods as often as we can. The kids love riding there every bit as much as they do the BMX track, maybe even more? Riding Dipper, or any of the Challenge tracks, is fine on the race bmx (although the oldest one has been riding his mtb there for 12 months now, and the 5yo is almost 6, and she has only just gone to a mtb in the forest). Dont worry about grip, its fine on the skinny tyres, and anyway teaches them to regulate speed when necessary anyway. There are probably more roots on the Taupo mtb trails, but I reckon he's still ok on a race bike in the forest up till probably 7 anyway. You're right about the weight penalty of a 20" mtb, and Mel is totally right about the ineffectiveness of suspension forks. And they dont really 'get' the gears till about 6 or so either.

The Taupo BMX Club are a great bunch of people (I know some of the committee members really well), a small club but really pushing forward and big on the 'family' aspect. They would really welcome any new riders, particularly the younger ones, now daylight savings is here, see if you cant get your fella along to one of their club days, will be nice and low key.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby vecorvector on Mon 30/Sep/13 10:08pm

For the days when you need more space. My bike, daughter's trailer bike with dolls seat then the trailer for the dolls coming from nannies house for a sleep over.
image.jpg
vecorvector
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby sifter on Tue 1/Oct/13 7:24am

Cool!
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby dwgknz on Tue 1/Oct/13 8:02am

Thinking of getting a tag along bike or trail gator setup for a 2 1/2 year old. He can ride his 12 inch with training wheels well but tires easy so we only get a km or so down the road before he decides to walk and I have to push two bikes.

Any recommendations?
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby dented on Tue 1/Oct/13 8:36am

I have only ever used the Phillips version of tag-a-long bike, but it worked well for me. Got my first on it at about that age, although the legs are so short, and the cranks so long, the best thing to do at that age is to tie a foot-long length of broom handle in place somewhere just above the BB/chainring area, for junior to use for footpegs. Lay the handlebars way back so they are sitting in a comfy upright position, and get them used to it at low speeds on the grass before you hit the Grade 5 stuff. Obviously its important that they know its all up to them to hold on. But at that age you also need to be aware of the sudden 'falling asleep at the wheel' syndrome that also develops after you hit 40. So keep an eye on them.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby thelivo on Tue 1/Oct/13 11:29am

Cheers Dented!

Also found some more knobbly tyres in 20 in , 1 1/8 so can improve grip in the wet a little bit.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby lubie on Tue 1/Oct/13 11:31am

vecorvector wrote:For the days when you need more space. My bike, daughter's trailer bike with dolls seat then the trailer for the dolls coming from nannies house for a sleep over.

LOVE IT!!! :D
lubie
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 1/Oct/13 12:30pm

Thanks to the PNP mtb club for the great race at Te Marua last Sunday. Special pricing for newbies meant my wife and 9yr old son were inspired to have a go. Lots of other kids there made it a great atmosphere for him. She did really well and he was amazing, given the super muddy conditions and it being his first (1) mtb race and (2) time riding in the bush by himself. Unfortunately he now wants a better bike (or am I just looking for an excuse to bike-shop...)
BrokenKonaRider
User avatar
"Pants"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby yak71 on Tue 1/Oct/13 1:18pm

thelivo wrote:OK thanks guys. The reason was that my godson is ready for something bigger than his 16", the race BMX's look like nice frames, (and gears for 5 year olds seem to get zero use from having watched a few), he lives a few hundred meters from the BMX track in Taupo, and we were wondering if we could get something that would do dual duty because he loves riding in the forest as well. So given that my idea won't work, any suggestions?


From 5-7 my boy rode a 20in gt mach one bmx. It's a small 20in bmx, front and rear brakes(not back pedal). It's got short cranks for little legs compared to other 20in bmxs so hills can be a pain but he got round Dipper in the Redwoods and Tourist Trap(I think?) in Craters. It's not too heavy - I know what you mean, I looked at several race bikes too - but in the end we went with the GT for the slightly fatter tyres to give a little cushion off road as well as price - still gets jolted around on it though compared to bigger wheeled bikes obviously.
He rode the Rimutaka incline as a 6 year old on it, could ride up the hill from school which is pretty steep, he won the school duathlon on it ,loves to have a blast round the local bmx track on it, and most of all loves riding the Dipper, so I reckon it's a pretty good bike, maybe not the best for racing though if you're gonna do that.

He's out grown it, just bought a new bike for him(mongoose fireball), so funnily we have a gt mach one hanging in the garage which I really should get around to selling......
Capture.JPG
Bad still pic from a movie of Toby riding at Craters on his GT
yak71
User avatar
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby Datsane on Wed 2/Oct/13 12:54pm

I've been looking at 20" bikes for my oldest for some time, he's 6.5years.
Out of all the bikes I looked at I found I'd decided to go for a BYK 450 7spd, then found out they stopped bringing them into NZ.
Reps would tell me of a couple of cool kids bikes Trek Superfly 20", GT Zasaka 20" neither are avaivable any longer :(

GT this year have ditched the shit sus fork on the 20" bikes, so I'm going with an aggresor (sp). They spec them rather poorly but hey its his first MTB got to start somewhere. Its not super light, but bigger wheels, gears and its less than his current 16" BMX.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby dwgknz on Wed 2/Oct/13 3:34pm

dented wrote:I have only ever used the Phillips version of tag-a-long bike, but it worked well for me. Got my first on it at about that age, although the legs are so short, and the cranks so long, the best thing to do at that age is to tie a foot-long length of broom handle in place somewhere just above the BB/chainring area, for junior to use for footpegs. Lay the handlebars way back so they are sitting in a comfy upright position, and get them used to it at low speeds on the grass before you hit the Grade 5 stuff. Obviously its important that they know its all up to them to hold on. But at that age you also need to be aware of the sudden 'falling asleep at the wheel' syndrome that also develops after you hit 40. So keep an eye on them.


Thanks Dented I'll see if I can get hold of one to have a go with.

What was your policy around the older kids? If I stick the 2 yo on a tag along the 4 yo will be all up in my grill and would refuse to ride his bike at all! I'd end up with the vecorvector train in no time.....
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby dented on Wed 2/Oct/13 4:13pm

dwgknz wrote:
dented wrote:I have only ever used the Phillips version of tag-a-long bike, but it worked well for me. Got my first on it at about that age, although the legs are so short, and the cranks so long, the best thing to do at that age is to tie a foot-long length of broom handle in place somewhere just above the BB/chainring area, for junior to use for footpegs. Lay the handlebars way back so they are sitting in a comfy upright position, and get them used to it at low speeds on the grass before you hit the Grade 5 stuff. Obviously its important that they know its all up to them to hold on. But at that age you also need to be aware of the sudden 'falling asleep at the wheel' syndrome that also develops after you hit 40. So keep an eye on them.


Thanks Dented I'll see if I can get hold of one to have a go with.

What was your policy around the older kids? If I stick the 2 yo on a tag along the 4 yo will be all up in my grill and would refuse to ride his bike at all! I'd end up with the vecorvector train in no time.....

My policy on that is jelly snakes and pineapple lumps.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby lubie on Thu 3/Oct/13 4:45pm

:D Quality Parenting advice! :withstupid:
lubie
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby Datsane on Thu 3/Oct/13 9:17pm

Mine was "I'll go myself then."
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

35 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit