Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2013/14

Postby noel_whiteside on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:17pm

XCguy wrote:
Trees and Noel_Whiteside wrote:we went and did lots and lots and lots of climbing

You two are inspirational :thumbsup:

Stupid is the word you are looking for, you two are stupid
noel_whiteside
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby mfw on Sun 4/Aug/13 8:31pm

noel_whiteside wrote:
XCguy wrote:
Trees and Noel_Whiteside wrote:we went and did lots and lots and lots of climbing

You two are inspirational :thumbsup:

Stupid is the word you are looking for, you two are stupid

All of the above :D

Missing the port hills road riding scene now :alien:

But XCguy on the bottom of a hillclimb leaderboard - now that's a first!
Hmm, maybe time to ping Al Bush and shake things up a bit :satan:
mfw
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Sun 4/Aug/13 10:14pm

Cool :cool: Might have to get the climbing legs sorted. Been focussing on the flat stuff with the Benchie races and all that.
Al_Bushman
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Tue 6/Aug/13 3:50pm

Uploaded a few for yas. Dyers time could do with some improving. Great day to do Sumner-Evans-Mt Pleasant. Very light WSW wind which made the final stretch a bit of a grovel. Dyers stuff was done yesterday. :)
Al_Bushman

Postby XCguy on Tue 6/Aug/13 5:38pm

Far too lovely this afternoon to be sitting in the office so I went and played in the hills and knocked off another 3 climbs in the process. Great to see others have done the same, including Mr Bushman :thumbsup: Based on how my legs felt after that ride I might leave my attempt at the Whiteside Hurtfest for another few weeks :blink:
XCguy
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Wed 7/Aug/13 8:37pm

About time somebody brought these averages down.

I took advantage of the two climbs-for-one ride and strategically chose Dyers-Worsleys. I've never done that climb before on a roadie, it felt kinda strange to not sprint the last bit to the Kiwi, knowing I had the pinch up to Worsleys to save for.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Ahad on Fri 9/Aug/13 5:53pm

:sleeping:
Last edited by Ahad on Tue 27/Aug/13 12:22am, edited 2 times in total.
Ahad
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Kev on Sat 10/Aug/13 6:41am

Geographical constraints (I live 11,000km away) prevent me from competing** in the in the Port hills leader board. However, I am curious to compare my performance so I have set about finding some equivalent climbs in my own back yard. The first step of this process is to measure the Port Hills climbs. So I fed the data from mapmyride into a spreadsheet and plotted some charts. Now i can set about finding some hills with a similar profile. The chart is attached so everyone can visualize the climbs on the leaderboard.
(Tip of the hat to Sam Horgan. I got the idea of plotting the climbs from this Post)

porthillsclimbs.PNG

** Participating is perhaps a better word because I certainly wouldn't be breaking any records
Kev
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Ahad on Sat 10/Aug/13 7:18pm

Hey thats pretty cool fugspit. Hopefully you can find some good local climbs.

Was in a bit of a rush today to get to the top of Mt Pleasant and back so I could take the daughter to netball. Left late so had no leeway. Quite surprised at my Govs SOK time as was expecting somewhere in the 14's. Passed a few cyclists on the first drag which is always motivation to keep ones pace up. Forgot how much just one climb at speed takes out of you, so legs toast by time I got to Mt Pleasant. So just rode up into the fog/cloud to get a time.
Ahad
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Tue 13/Aug/13 8:52pm

Managed to sneak a (not-so) quick after work run up Kennedys.

I do not know what possessed me, but I wanted to do it on my old steelie, soon regretted that decision into the pretty fresh head wind at the top.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Wed 14/Aug/13 8:07pm

Bugger - rode the bastard at good speed today. First ride since the 135km race on Saturday so was keen to test the legs after the big build-up and big race. Got half way up and realised I hadn't set the start on my computer! Recon it was in the low 16's.
Al_Bushman

Postby danose on Thu 15/Aug/13 12:35pm

Rik wrote:I do not know what possessed me, but I wanted to do it on my old steelie, soon regretted that decision into the pretty fresh head wind at the top.

could be worse - my last ride up there was on a singlespeed with a pack on, not so much a case of what the time was, more aimed at just making it up to the takahe without my knees falling off
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 22/Aug/13 8:12am

A cold ride up the hills last night. A quicker time for dyers-wors.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby mfw on Fri 23/Aug/13 4:12pm

Click on this then select Noel Whiteside (or whoever), then hover over chart and see where all losses gains are made compared to your opponents :cool:
http://raceshape.com/strava-segments/705607
mfw
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby XCguy on Fri 23/Aug/13 6:37pm

Took JK out for a ride to get a Governors time for her. But part way up I thought that the conditions were far too good to waste so it was "hope you don't mind sweetie, but I am heading back down to have a crack myself". Very pleased I did. Your turn Ahad ;)
XCguy
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Cycling | Leaderboards | Road Cycling - Latest Posts