Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dented on Mon 4/Jun/12 7:34am

Pretty ugly looking dent. I initially thought it must have been caused by something getting dragged around in the spokes, but then I wonder how the underside of the seatstay gets the dent unless the wheel was spinning backwards?!? And also why it didnt just bend/break a spoke instead.

The series of parallel paint splits at the edge of the dent, they get caused because the tube has bulged outwards at that point. In other words, the tube has basically been turned inside-out by the dent. Indicates a fair amount of stretch has taken place, and I suspect if you could magic away the paint in that area you would see a similar look to the aluminium in exactly the same place (ie: some weakening/cracking of the material, aluminium may seem like it bends nice and easily, but thats just a prelude to failure).

On the upside, my opinion on it is if you continue to ride it, its not going to have a sudden catastrophic failure, more of a slow deterioration over time. And even if it did, whats the worst that can happen? Not like its a headtube or anything.

Disclaimer: Everything I know about dents involves cars and panel steel.
dented
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 4/Jun/12 8:19am

what dents said.

if it were a hardtail I'd be more wary, but if you keep the shock nice and compliant you'll buy some more time on it.
someone like Pearson might be able to carbon wrap it for a long term repair.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Ernie Douglas on Thu 7/Jun/12 3:29pm

In practice, if someone were to run a set of race wheels and training wheels on a roadie, what is the biggest difference between cassettes they could roll between the two wheels without having to adjust derailleurs etc? for example: moving between 11-25 and 11-28

Thanks
Ernie Douglas
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby danose on Thu 7/Jun/12 5:30pm

Ernie Douglas wrote:In practice, if someone were to run a set of race wheels and training wheels on a roadie, what is the biggest difference between cassettes they could roll between the two wheels without having to adjust derailleurs etc? for example: moving between 11-25 and 11-28

Thanks

Avoiding Adjusting ders comes down to making sure the cassette position relative to the rh locknut is the same - worse case this can mean a couple of spacer washers behind the cassette

Just make sure you size the chain for the bigger cassette
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Ernie Douglas on Thu 7/Jun/12 6:38pm

Thanks, in that case what's the biggest difference one can get away with before having to change the chain?
Ernie Douglas
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Thu 7/Jun/12 7:49pm

Ernie Douglas wrote:Thanks, in that case what's the biggest difference one can get away with before having to change the chain?

See your derailleur specs for what you can get away with sprocket wise.
EG:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 746860.pdf
And then size chain to match.
znomit
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby danose on Thu 7/Jun/12 8:35pm

znomit wrote:
Ernie Douglas wrote:Thanks, in that case what's the biggest difference one can get away with before having to change the chain?

See your derailleur specs for what you can get away with sprocket wise.
EG:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 746860.pdf
And then size chain to match.

yep - the 34t cap seemed generous back when 53/39 was the standard up front (real men of course were still riding 53/42) and a 28 on the back was unheard of - but of now with wide range roadie cassettes (11-30!) and compacts with wider spacing (50/34) it's getting pretty easy to exceed the max cap on a shortie
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 7/Jun/12 11:58pm

Won't somebody think of the B-tension!
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 8/Jun/12 8:57am

:lol:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Sun 10/Jun/12 10:17am

Thoughts on the getting these bearing races out? They both died, the other eight I got out intact, just need these gone so I can put the new Enduro ones in. I've tried to tap them out with a screwdriver, levering them out with a similar sized bolt.

Thoughts?
2012-06-10-018.jpg
mudguard
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 10/Jun/12 10:26am

Careful work with a dremel or even a file.

Not like the cunzor at a bike shop did once, ganking the crap out of my frame around the outside edge...Just work away at the inside of the race slowly until you weaken it sufficiently to pop it out. Some lube and a bit of warmth before applying too much force will help you to move it about in a tight space without too many tears.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 20 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 10/Jun/12 10:57am

a quick zap with a TIG would do the trick, will cause the race to contract
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sun 10/Jun/12 7:01pm

So I'm keen as an effing bean on one o' them there clutched derailleurs... is there any reason why I won't be able to use my 9speed shifter with one?

Chur y'all! :paranoid:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 10/Jun/12 7:13pm

mudlover/hater wrote:So I'm keen as an effing bean on one o' them there clutched derailleurs... is there any reason why I won't be able to use my 9speed shifter with one?

Chur y'all! :paranoid:

Cable pull rate is different between 9 speed and dynasys
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 2 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sun 10/Jun/12 7:23pm

Bugger. Really don't wanna have to buy a new drivetrain, especially a 10speed one... Would the SRAM version (when it comes out) still use the whole exact actuation dealy, thereby enabling me to use my 9speed shifter and cassette etc?

Thanks PBR!
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts