Re: Sifter Goes (bike) Riding

Postby nostromo on Fri 2/Dec/11 6:23am

What an epic, best installment in the sifter chronicles yet. :thumbsup: And props to team Mum and Dad.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 2/Dec/11 12:28pm

sifter wrote:Big November, done and dusted. I survived Taupo, and am at least physically unscathed! =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... taupo.html

Now, for some rest...

well done mate, I don't think you realise what a good ride you put in :)

you were strong all day!

BTW did you not get any support at all on lap2? I told you what to do!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mjl on Sat 3/Dec/11 8:03am

Klarkash-ton wrote:BTW did you not get any support at all on lap2?

I rode lap #2 with no support. I carried a bottle on my back, and refilled at an aid station before the first solo riders caught us. Carried a bunch of food.
mjl
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Dec/11 12:43pm

I was starting to go a bit stir crazy this month. Resting doesn't seem to agree with me, and I was feeling a bit down. All picked up about a week ago though, and I had a great trip with Marjolein between Picton and Nelson. Fat-tyre touring at its best! =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... stmas.html
IMG_5169.JPG
sifter
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Mon 26/Dec/11 3:26pm

Top stuff, bro! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Fri 30/Dec/11 9:43pm

It's been a busy week. Had a great ride with Megan at Miramar on Christmas Day. As we rode up Conviction I wondered if I'd oversold it, but by the end of the second run of Jail Brake, I was no longer worried! We did 4 laps then went and got stuck into opening presents.

The 27th was scene of the Bridge to Nowhere ride =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... ecial.html Thoroughly recommended, especially for those with petrol-head tendencies! :blush:

On the 28th Simon and I popped up the mountain road, managing a notch under 64 minutes on our mountain bikes (though running fast Stan's Raven tyres), then Jo and I stumbled on none other than Tama at the Horopito end of the Ohakune Old Coach Road! I rode too fast on the old viaduct and it made my eyes go funny! :D

330519_10150451079289426_669949425_8545557_1977006478_o.jpg

Then, yesterday Jo and I did Tree Trunk Gorge as an out-and-back from the northern end. We parked on Kaimanawa Rd, and went through to Tree Trunk Gorge before turning back. I reckon this is a much better way of enjoying the ride than the loop I did last year...

Back at home now, and I'm glad its pissing down! I need a rest! :blush:
sifter

Postby Colin on Sat 31/Dec/11 8:21am

Sounds like you all hard a good time :thumbsup:

I have the Bridge to Nowhere on my 'one day' list
Colin
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Sat 31/Dec/11 9:58am

Colin wrote:Sounds like you all hard a good time :thumbsup:

I have the Bridge to Nowhere on my 'one day' list

I think you'd love it Colin. :)
sifter

Postby EoinC on Tue 3/Jan/12 12:31pm

sifter wrote:Big November, done and dusted. I survived Taupo, and am at least physically unscathed! =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... taupo.html

Now, for some rest...

That's a great read, Sifter, and I'm sure your family got a lot out of the experience, too. Disappointment may be worthy fuel, but it's also good to look back at your journey, and see what you have achieved.

Happy New Year - We're looking forward to your 2012 adventures.
EoinC
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby EoinC on Tue 3/Jan/12 12:49pm

sifter wrote:...Fat-tyre touring at its best! =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... stmas.html
Nice one, Sifter.
EoinC

Postby sifter on Tue 3/Jan/12 2:39pm

Many thanks Eion! Happy New Year to you too!
sifter

Postby EoinC on Tue 3/Jan/12 4:31pm

sifter wrote:Many thanks Eion! Happy New Year to you too!
And don't worry, we've all got a bit of the Bogan lurking in us - If no-one saw you grinning whilst rarking it up down the River from Nowhere, it can't be held against you.
EoinC

Postby sifter on Tue 3/Jan/12 10:28pm

EoinC wrote:
And don't worry, we've all got a bit of the Bogan lurking in us - If no-one saw you grinning whilst rarking it up down the River from Nowhere, it can't be held against you.

:D

(PS: The River from Nowhere - I like that!)
sifter

Postby EoinC on Wed 4/Jan/12 6:26pm

sifter wrote:
EoinC wrote:

:D

(PS: The River from Nowhere - I like that!)

If the Bogan gene ever became dominant, you could always build yourself a longtail boat to prevent onset of fangitis...

Remember - KKK Propellor Shafts for...safety!
EoinC

Postby sifter on Thu 9/Feb/12 9:54pm

It's been a pretty crazy start to the year.

Had a wonderful holiday with my beautiful daughter and our cousins, but back into the racing now.

St James Epic was epic... =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... james.html

Then, to take our minds off the Kiwi Brevet, Simon and I did a bunch of MTB Orienteering in the weekend =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co. ... -lost.html

Had a nifty ride up Makara Peak on Wednesday night, and despite the legs still feeling pretty blown from Sunday and Monday, Simon and I managed to get our arses up Starfish, SWIGG, Big Tom's Wheelie, and the bottom of RLE through to the North Face trio in just over 21 minutes each! Not in the league of Brendan Sharratt or Nick_K or Jonny or Clive, but still, a lot of fun.

I'm thinking of hitting up the PNP 40km ITT on Saturday morning, then sifting at the Makara Peak Rally and then Love to Roll with Kaitlyn on Sunday :love:
sifter

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts