Postby onyabike on Tue 19/Jul/11 8:30pm

Peaking today in a loose sorta way
walk-the-plank.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Colin on Tue 19/Jul/11 10:58pm

Added Transient, Car Parts Extension and ummm Hawkins Hill.

And return to my commute home.

Stunning night out in Welly. Trails are riding so nice after almost a week of no rain.
Colin
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby hickie on Thu 21/Jul/11 9:17pm

Towai Traverse in the dark is an excellent track to ride, especially the gully near the top with all it's twists and turns :)

It was also in good condition after the last few days dry weather, pity it isn't going to be like that for the weekend :(
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby TheMantis on Sat 23/Jul/11 4:35pm

Slightly moist in Wellington today.

Turned up to an almost empty carpark at Makara Peak at 1230. Lazily rode up Koru - Snake Charma - Zacs Track - North Face - JFK - Smokin - Snake Charma again - Sally Alley - Missing Link - ate through the last of my front brake pads and carried Black Jesus up the last bit of Missing Link - started changing brake pads - laughed at the fat cunzor changing brake pads in the rain - realised that the fat cunzor was me - up the 4WD track - Leaping Lizard - Nikau Valley (nice!) - back up Missing Link - Leaping Lizard - realised that my rear brake pads were rooted, awesome! - across flooded Karori Stream - back to car park. Saw only four riders during the whole ride.
DSC06974.jpg
Hmmmm, no wonder the rear brake was shrieking louder than a 15 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.
TheMantis
"Taking care of last place so you don't have to"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby MattV on Mon 25/Jul/11 5:59pm

:thumbsup:
DSC05508A.jpg
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Mon 25/Jul/11 6:09pm

pfft.... :eh:

who would go out in that??

Also, note to self... watching mtb movies is NOT a good substitute for going riding.....

All I wanna do now is go riding..... garrr!
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby TheMantis on Mon 25/Jul/11 6:46pm

Holly shit! Snow in the mighty New Plymouth. Never in my life have has it even come close to snowing there. I wish I was able to go riding in the Hutt today.
TheMantis

Postby TheMantis on Fri 29/Jul/11 7:19pm

Mount Lowry and Rata Ridge this afternoon - riding mint too. Followed by being told off by some vegetable servo station minion for daring to use their hose to clean my bike before heading off for some beers in the metropolis of Wainui. Ended up at WTP for a gentle sift down Snail Trail.
TheMantis

Postby TheMantis on Sat 30/Jul/11 5:30pm

Another unexpected lovely day in the capital. Decided to have a dodgy loiter at Hawkins Hill and Polhill. Ride went like this : Car Parts - Roller Coaster - Highbury Fling - Transient - Aro Valley to sneer at the hippys in bare feet - back up to Roller Coaster via the black top - Highbury Fling again - Transient again - Aro Valley (amongst the hoity toity arty farties sipping bland coffee derivatives) - back to the windturbine. The plan was to sift off to Long Gully but the wind was getting pretty nasty and we needed sustenance.

Things learnt today : The tracks at Polhill are fucking awesome. Transient pretty much made me jizz my pants - twice. Riding back up from Aro Valley twice makes me thirsty for ice cold beer. Maximum thanks to the good folks who beaver away creating these recreational conduits for us to enjoy.
TheMantis

Postby Colin on Sat 30/Jul/11 10:14pm

Laps of the lower tracks at Makara Peak to stay out the wind (and 'coz SWIGG Starfish is my fav)

Pleased to have got out before the forecast rain

Had it quit in the the end. Legs fell off before the rain arrived. Still hasn't arrived.
Colin

Postby TheMantis on Sun 31/Jul/11 5:50pm

Time for another edition of "TheMantis rides Wellington"

Today the boys and I hit up WTP in recognition of yet another awesome Wellington day. Whilst the fellas on the big bikes took the easy option by riding up Wainui Rd, I headed up The Directa and Jungle Gym before rejoining the posse for a trundle down Snail Trail. After taking the same routes back up I continued up Labyrinth and the disciples lined up a few runs of Beeline. Followed Towai Traverse till the end and had a bit of a mosey around. This track made me very, very happy. Mostly unfinished but heaps of fun in it's current state. Big up's to Neil and his crew for making shit happen. It never ceases to amaze me how far WTP has progressed in only a few years. Returned along Towai Traverse with the intention of going back down Labyrinth. After seeing a young nipper heading down Spoonhill on a little miniature MTB I thought it would be rude not to myself. By crickey! The young buck was savaging 491. I managed to hold it together and returned to the WTP car park with a modicum of pride still intact.

Heaps of people out having a ride today - bloody good on ya.
TheMantis

Postby Colin on Tue 2/Aug/11 10:41pm

Went and hit a few laps of Big Weta and Chopper tonight before they get trashed when the trees are felled.

Tracks are dry and grippy. And so different to most Welli-track. Much Fun.

Had a ball. Might have to give another bash in the week-end if the rain holds off.
Colin

Postby Caffeine on Wed 3/Aug/11 12:54pm

Colin wrote:Went and hit a few laps of Big Weta and Chopper tonight before they get trashed when the trees are felled.

Tracks are dry and grippy. And so different to most Welli-track. Much Fun.

Had a ball. Might have to give another bash in the week-end if the rain holds off.

The trees are being felled? Dang :( Love those tracks. Do you know when the logging starts? Might have to try and get up there on the weekend too.

I had a go at the Polhill tracks this morning before work. First time I have been right through to Back Door from Aro. Awesome work from those involved. Also came down Barking Emu for the first time and had a blast. My GPS told me 11km from the Tip Track to Aro via the Roller Coaster - what a sweet run, so much appreciation to the track builders (particulalrly the one I almost parked my bike in as he was bent over a grubber on Car Parts :blush: )
Caffeine
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Wed 3/Aug/11 1:21pm

I'd heard in a few weeks. And that a request has been made to have it put off until after the PnP race

Haven't heard if that request was successful or not..
Colin

Postby stealth mode on Thu 4/Aug/11 2:23pm

the REV circuit
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts