Re: Go The Dads!

Postby EoinC on Wed 22/Jun/11 10:18pm

nostromo wrote:Hi EoinC, was hoping you'd pop along..theres a really good local school right near us with an excellent unit, but thats full, a few weeks ago our plan was to just get him in the school in a mainstream class and then hopefully when a place came up we might be able to get him in the unit, maybe in a years time, but they just moved the frikkin zone on us and our house is outside, so we're not even guaranteed a place in the school, we have to take our luck. But we've been and met the principle and my wife did crying :) and we met the DP and so forth, and without making an actual promise he still thought we could get in there, so I'm hopeful. We're going to keep going and seeing them until they give in.
G'day, Nostromo.
One of the areas that may help is if you talk with them about working together to get a teacher aid (ie someone who will work with your son in the mainstream class, which takes some of the pressure off the teacher). This may be a student teacher who is looking for work experience, or a dedicated Special Ed teacher aid. It may be worth talking to the Teacher Training College (used to be at K-Town?) about whether they can do anything to help, even if it's on a temporary trial basis.
Another thing is to talk with Autism New Zealand about what they can do in the way of assistance, advice, and advocacy (zoning, resources etc). Don't stop there, though, as other groups, such as New Zealand Downs Syndrome Association, deal with similar issues, and may be able to help, too.
When you are talking with schools about mainstreaming, don't forget to push how beneficial it is to the social skills of the other kids (and the future of society) to have integration in their midst - And the younger it happens, the better it is, before they start developing irreversable numbnutt attitudes. Many schools probably wish that their average punter parent cared half as much about their progeny as you do about yours, so showing them what a close-knit and involved family you are may win you support where it is most needed.
If zoning is an issue, go and wheedle the local Poli into action. Don't be shy about asking to be treated as a special case - You and your family have enough to deal with without worrying about one rule fits all. Check out some of those other parents of autistic kids - I think you'll find some people who are very good at the advocacy path, and can point you in the right direction to get the help and decisions that you require.
Where you get resistance from a school, it may be that they want to help, but they're just not sure of the risks and impacts. If you can give them reassurance (such as a trial period, with planned review at the end), you may just win them over. Don't rely on the logic of your argument - Understand the pressures and preconceptions they may be experiencing, and work at quelling them. It may mean doing things like meeting the Parents Association, or whatever they call it. Also get to know the teachers in the Special Ed Unit, as they may barrack for you in the background. If they get to meet your son, it may add the personal touch.
Another plus may be if you can show that you'll get involved in the school, doing whatever it is that adds value. Supportive parents are in short supply at many schools, and it may be a relief to them to have parents keen to help out.

Whatever it is, if what's in the box isn't working, think outside it, and remember that your kids rely on you to cut the path through the jungle, so don't be shy about swinging that machete.

Cheers...
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 22/Jun/11 10:53pm

EoinC -"like"
Nostromo - good luck.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby neels on Fri 1/Jul/11 9:03pm

It's bike building time.

My 12 year old is too big for his bike, so I thought I'd re-frame it for him. Then I figured, why should I do it when he can do it himself. :thumbsup:

So after handing him a set of allen keys, and a wee bit of assistance with crank extractors and a bottom bracket tool....
01072011217.jpg

And then it's time to put it back together..
01072011217.jpg

Pics to come when he's finished. :p
01072011218.jpg
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 1/Jul/11 10:14pm

Good job, Neels.
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 1/Jul/11 10:21pm

EoinC wrote:Good job, Neels.

:withstupid: awesome! :)
sifter
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby neels on Fri 1/Jul/11 10:39pm

Bugger, got as far as a frame that needs chasing and facing.

Off to the LBS tomorrow, then he can finish the job, at least he knows what all the bits of a bike are now.

Easiest bike build ever, he does the work and I sit and drink beer :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
neels

Postby neels on Sun 3/Jul/11 7:49pm

Hmm, couldn't find the young fella near the tv, lego or the playstation, eventually managed to locate him here....

03072011219.jpg

Progress is being made. :D
neels

Postby nostromo on Sun 3/Jul/11 9:07pm

Bloody hell, so they do become useful eventually :)
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 3/Jul/11 9:43pm

nostromo wrote:Bloody hell, so they do become useful eventually :)

Apparently :rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Butch on Sun 3/Jul/11 9:53pm

Dude, he's stealing your wheels!
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Sun 3/Jul/11 9:56pm

Butch wrote:Dude, he's stealing your wheels!

And tools soon :o

Will swap for psp
znomit
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Sun 3/Jul/11 10:45pm

Great stuff, Neels! You've turned him! :sly:
Oli
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby neels on Sun 3/Jul/11 11:07pm

Yep, they do become useful eventually, he's my garage minion.

And if you need motorbike fork seals, alternator bearings or an oil change done, his hourly rate is still cheap.

The stealing of tools started a loooong time ago. :p
neels

Postby nostromo on Sun 3/Jul/11 11:23pm

Actually that reminds me I took my 9yr old on a rollout with me few weekends back, and she was really good. I just let her have breaks whenever she got tired, took her to lunch and paid her $5 an hour, saved me 2-3 hrs work I reckon.
IMAGE00000.jpg
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby neels on Sun 3/Jul/11 11:27pm

nostromo wrote:Actually that reminds me I took my 9yr old on a rollout with me few weekends back, and she was really good. I just let her have breaks whenever she got tired, took her to lunch and paid her $5 an hour, saved me 2-3 hrs work I reckon.

I see she brought her support crew along too. :p

Amazing how useful kids actually are if you give them good instructions, and let them go at a pace that suits them. :thumbsup:
neels

Sifting - Latest Posts