Re: Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby skaffen on Mon 25/Apr/11 4:45pm

I went for a ride up the Waitawheta River track, off the Karangahake Gorge, yesterday. It's a great ride that's a mix of cliff-side mining trails and bush covered single track, with a few tunnels, good river views, and a bit of bush bashing :).
I usually ride up the Waitawheta track to Dicky Flat, then back a bit, a half hour push up through the bush on the Dubbo 96 track to Mt Karangahake, then ride down the Country Road track, down Crown Hill road, through the old railway tunnel, and back around the river walkway to the car park.

bri.jpg
tun1.jpg
riv.jpg
skaffen
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 25/Apr/11 5:11pm

Got rather muddy out Wainui today. Was good. Sift up jungles->labyrinth and then a loose as run down 491/spoonlol and down the (very slippery) new link down to wetland loop and a couple of laps of directa->jungles->snails

woo woo, been out there three times in the last 5 days and not burnt out on it yet and ridden my bike every day of my 5 day weekend, split the rest between deliverance (which was in primo condition on saturday, rock garden very greasy and slippery and the rest dry and fast) and makara peak
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Postby jeyboi on Mon 25/Apr/11 7:31pm

I got out for 3 good rides in Eskdale MTB park over the weekend. :thumbsup:

The first ride was Friday morning with a couple of punters - we just had a nice sift around, checking out the trails and talking shit for a couple of hours. Saturday I got out and about for another couple of hours. Sunday I had a poke around the other end of the forest for about 3 hours, getting quite lost and riding several trails backwards. :D

Loved riding at Eskdale - the trails aren't quite like anything else I've ridden, and great fun :cool:
jeyboi
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby stealth mode on Mon 25/Apr/11 7:56pm

3.5hrs Whirinaki Forest was wet and muddy mmmm :thumbsup:
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 25/Apr/11 8:53pm

skaffen wrote:I went for a ride up the Waitawheta River track, off the Karangahake Gorge, yesterday. It's a great ride that's a mix of cliff-side mining trails and bush covered single track, with a few tunnels, good river views, and a bit of bush bashing :).
I usually ride up the Waitawheta track to Dicky Flat, then back a bit, a half hour push up through the bush on the Dubbo 96 track to Mt Karangahake, then ride down the Country Road track, down Crown Hill road, through the old railway tunnel, and back around the river walkway to the car park.

that looks like a very cool ride
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 8 months

Postby jeyboi on Mon 25/Apr/11 8:53pm

stealth mode wrote:3.5hrs Whirinaki Forest was wet and muddy mmmm :thumbsup:

J for Jealous
jeyboi

Postby Nick_K on Mon 25/Apr/11 9:14pm

Hit up Queenstown and Wanaka over the long weekend. Loving the new bike.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 25/Apr/11 9:49pm

Quick loop of the polhill tracks, up to carparts ext, back down to aro st, new bits average.

Have found a quarry so one day no bad mud.
thelongwalk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby jeyboi on Sat 30/Apr/11 2:55pm

Got out for a neat skid before work this morning.

Headed up Wahine, along Skyline, then down the Cemetery trail. Along the road to Hibro, then up Sawmill and the Rollercoaster to the wind turbine. Down Carparts Extn, and carried on to Long Gully, before heading up Wrights Hill. Down Scout Hall and Goldmine, back up to Hibro, and down Transient (first time riding the track in it's entirety) to head into town

Mint morning for it, still loving the single speed action :love:
jeyboi

Postby wachtourak on Sat 30/Apr/11 4:13pm

The one time I went to ride down the cemetary trail I think I took a wrong turn as whatever I rode down did not match descriptions I've read at all. Is the turnoff before you climb up to the summit of Johnstons Hill, or after?

Put some new forks on mah whip yesterday so went and steamed round the grand loop @ Makara to make sure I had the setup right. Some of those holes on Ridgeline are getting mighty large :D
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby .I. on Sat 30/Apr/11 4:36pm

wachtourak wrote:The one time I went to ride down the cemetary trail I think I took a wrong turn as whatever I rode down did not match descriptions I've read at all. Is the turnoff before you climb up to the summit of Johnstons Hill, or after?

If your coming from the south? after http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/178
you follow the 4wd track around the back of the summit

j-hill cem.JPG
.I.
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 30/Apr/11 5:29pm

Thanks. Still not sure what I managed to come down when I went exploring up there ages ago, but it was from up around the Johnstons hill summit somewhere, it was marked as access to the cemetary and wasn't marked no bikes but was most definitely a walking track. Went down some stairs to start with and It was like the rooty bits of deliverance but harder and had some switchbacks that were so tight I couldn't clean them haha
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Sat 30/Apr/11 5:35pm

jeyboi wrote:Got out for a neat skid before work this morning.

Headed up Wahine, along Skyline, then down the Cemetery trail. Along the road to Hibro, then up Sawmill and the Rollercoaster to the wind turbine. Down Carparts Extn, and carried on to Long Gully, before heading up Wrights Hill. Down Scout Hall and Goldmine, back up to Hibro, and down Transient (first time riding the track in it's entirety) to head into town

Mint morning for it, still loving the single speed action :love:

Did you manage the steep bits of the roller coaster on the ss? If so, nice!
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Sat 30/Apr/11 7:17pm

Just got back from a lovely ride in Makara Peak. Man, it's special riding tracks you've helped build...

Wahine, Varley's, Zac's, North Face, JFK, Smokin', Ridgeline Extn, Big Tom's Wheelie, Sally Alley, Missing Link, the first half of Aratihi, Upper Leaping Lizard, Nikau, ML, Sally Alley (naughty naughty...), SWIGG & Starfish.

Mint :)
sifter
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 30/Apr/11 7:28pm

Sally Alley backwards is sooo good and quite flowy... Done at night is no worries cos you can see most peoples lights from ages away..... still, naughty naughty, haha...

I just went up for a quick lap of the lower loop today and felt like a stink guy cos I didn't have time to stop and help with a bit of digging on JFK... Couldn't not go out for a little taster now that the weather's calmed down for a bit... Bangin'.
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts