Re: Your Photography

Postby ThingOne on Wed 20/Apr/11 10:16am

Tugboat wrote:Me likey a lot :love:

I really like your photos Adrian, you able to take us through this one?..

Camera,
Lens
Shutter
Aperture
And post processing? Photoshop etc..ie what you did. (would be nice to see the photo before processing as well)

Or if all top secret, then i will just say Nice Pic.. :sly:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby chuckie34 on Wed 20/Apr/11 12:10pm

Tugboat wrote:I've had it 4 weeks so I figured it's about time I took a photo of it...

ummmm, where do you put the bikes? :eh:
chuckie34
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 20/Apr/11 12:34pm

chuckie34 wrote:
Tugboat wrote:I've had it 4 weeks so I figured it's about time I took a photo of it...

ummmm, where do you put the bikes? :eh:

Across the bonnet. Hunting styles.
mudguard
Member for: 20 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 20/Apr/11 1:02pm

My Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM is on Trade Me Cheap.

And my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM will be up on sunday, one last shoot with it this weekend then will be switching to the primes.
wuffy
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 20/Apr/11 6:51pm

ThingOne wrote:
Tugboat wrote:Me likey a lot :love:

I really like your photos Adrian, you able to take us through this one?..

Camera,
Lens
Shutter
Aperture
And post processing? Photoshop etc..ie what you did. (would be nice to see the photo before processing as well)

Or if all top secret, then i will just say Nice Pic.. :sly:

Cheers Clive. Nothing should be top secret in a thread like this!

My original intention was to expose for the sky and then shoot a long exposure (using an ND if necessary) and then highlight the car with a flash shot from an angle. This plan went to pot quite quickly as the batteries in my flash were pretty much kaput so I had to make do with available light only.

Camera: Canon 1D MkIII
Lens: Ef 17-40 f4L @32mm + ND4 filter
Shutter: 0.8sec, 0.2sec, 0.5sec, 1.6sec and 3.2sec (Manual mode with auto bracketing set to capture 5 exposures)
Aperture: f8.0

Post-processing: Nothing terribly complex. All up about 10 mins work.
Workflow was pretty much:
- Import the RAWs into Lightroom and then export the bracketed sequence as 16bit TIFFs;
- Tonemap the 5 frames in Photomatix Pro. Nothing too extreme, strength is set to about 55;
- Import the tonemapped JPG back into Lightroom;
- Boost the contrast, clarity and vibrance;
- Add a grad filter effect to pull back the sky exposure a bit more to really help bring out the orange dawn hue,
- A couple of brushstrokes on the closest headlight to pull back the exposure a bit and reveal a bit more detail in the headlight assembly;
- Add a bit of vignetting in the corners;
- Done!

Here's the middle range exposure from the sequence with no work at all. Doesn't look much at all on its own as it was always intentional that the end image would be composed of all five exposures.

My favourite from the morning is probably this one. Pretty much same process as above except a little bit of extra colour help added in to the grad filter effect to make the sky just a little more spectacular than it really was and a wee bit of cloning on the ground to get rid of a patch of oil that looked like it had leaked out of my car!!!

chuckie34 wrote:ummmm, where do you put the bikes? :eh:

:lol: To be perfectly honest I haven't tried yet although to go in the back it's definitely going to involve removing both wheels!! Golf clubs I was a little worried about, but apparently it's a common question and the guys at Jeff Gray BMW/MINI just happened to have a set laying about to prove it! I now know I can get two sets of golf clubs, two trundlers and a picnic in there so a bike with both wheels off may just fit. Either that or I'm back to taking the missus's Golf GTI on biking trips again.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 20/Apr/11 9:42pm

Thanks for all that, great stuff

I haven't really done any bracketed shots yet , played around with some HDR but it's a little surreal looking.
I have all the tools just not the knowledge. Yet.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 21/Apr/11 3:23pm

Got up at 3.45am and drove 2.5hrs to get to Castlepoint for sunrise, based on a pretty good weather forecast. Unfortunately the morning was pretty overcast and the light flat. A little bit of colour in the sunrise but not what I'd hoped for.

Last edited by Tugboat on Sun 22/May/11 2:24pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby wolffman1 on Fri 22/Apr/11 12:01pm

It looks like there is a bit of filter darkening on the lighthouse in that second one. Did you use filters or was it all lightroom magic? The HDR on the mini is nicely done.
Long drive, but it still beats going to work. It took me 90 minutes to get to work yesterday on missbehaving trains, I'll swap you that for an unsuccessful photo adventure anyday.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Fri 22/Apr/11 5:21pm

Yeah there is filter darkening in that second one caused by the grad filter tool in Lightroom which I used to pull back the sky exposure more to exploit the colour in the sky. Camera was fitted with an ND8 for some of the shots increase exposure times. I might do a bit of work in Photoshop to fix that.

Also did my first ever panorama yesterday. Pretty simple 3 shots stitched together using Hugin.

Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby onyabike on Fri 22/Apr/11 10:34pm

onetwo
all-natural.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby fox on Sat 23/Apr/11 10:56am

Hey guys, after having a jam on my mates Canon 550D and absolutely loving it I wanted to ask about purchasing second hand dSLR's I've done a bit of research and know the basics like checking the sensor, lense and focus and looking for wear in the strap etc, but nothing beats the hands on advice of experienced photographers so I was wondering if you guys could give any tips or possibly show me a couple of links on trademe that you personally would consider?
fox
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Sat 23/Apr/11 9:05pm

Hard to know without a budget!?

Pretty much any old canon will do, I would avoid the 300D and 10D (old and slow, 10D isnt ef-s).
Apart from that as they get newer they get better (in terms of lcd size, sensor, gardgets etc).

Nikons older bodies tend to be nosier than canons due to using ccd instead of cmos, but do tend to produce very good results in decent light.
RJD
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sat 23/Apr/11 10:18pm

We're looking to upgrade to a 550d from a less than year old 1000d. Want around $600 ono for lens and body.
speeding_ant
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby tombomb600 on Sat 23/Apr/11 11:05pm

Few shots I've taken over the last few months
CicadaWEB.jpg
IMG_1229WEB.jpg
IMG_1681SHOPNET.jpg
IMG_1269WEB.jpg
IMG_1591WEB.jpg
tombomb600
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby fox on Sun 24/Apr/11 11:31am

Cheers RJD yeah i was looking around the 500 600 mark. Thats the sorta stuff that I exactly wanted to know! Thanks for that! Cheers Andy ill have a think and let you know!
fox
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts