Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Fraser on Wed 23/Mar/11 9:48am

nostromo wrote:Interesting info on E85
http://www.alcotane.co.nz/?page_id=121

E85 fuel is OK. It burns a little cooler and cleaner than petrol. The inner hoon in me loves this.

But I am thinking that the same sort of people who buy a Prius will think that E85 will be genius for the environment. But the hypocrasy of this will overshadow what they are trying to achieve.
Fraser
Member for: 20 years 7 months

Postby rackerrack on Fri 25/Mar/11 6:24pm

Hey Dented,was that your mates car on 3 news? Is it road legal now? What a beast!
Gasser.jpg
rackerrack
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 25/Mar/11 8:29pm

Anyone had any experience with early 90's Imprezas? Selling my old Fiat for something a bit more practical and looking at a 1993 Impreza, 2L Turbo, 4wd, Manual Hatchback.
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 25/Mar/11 8:31pm

How thrashed is it?
speeding_ant
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 25/Mar/11 8:48pm

wuffy wrote:Anyone had any experience with early 90's Imprezas? Selling my old Fiat for something a bit more practical and looking at a 1993 Impreza, 2L Turbo, 4wd, Manual Hatchback.

early 90's turbo suby = pit to throw $$ into, especially if you're not mechanical, unless you know the history, avoid, IMHO

oh, and ring your insurance company and ask what the insurance will cost on it ;)

probably similar $$ will get you a mid 90's Toyota Carib BZG - or if you want a bit more room a similar age Toyota Caldina (non turbo)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby dented on Fri 25/Mar/11 8:54pm

rackerrack wrote:Hey Dented,was that your mates car on 3 news? Is it road legal now? What a beast!
Gasser.jpg

:D
Yes, yes and yes!

Me and him took turns driving it around laps of Whangamata today, I only just got home a half hour ago. Got a lot of attention in it today, it is the cover/feature car for NZV8 next issue.
dented

Postby rackerrack on Fri 25/Mar/11 8:59pm

Nice.Bloody insane what they let on the road these days.
rackerrack

Postby dented on Fri 25/Mar/11 9:11pm

rackerrack wrote:Nice.Bloody insane what they let on the road these days.

I couldnt possibly comment. Actually he had to jump through plenty of hoops with the Low Volume Vehicle Inspection red tape, and made a number of significant changes to front and rear suspension, but got there in the end. We ran around all day with uncapped headers, infact I just checked out the 3 news site for the video that played on the news tonight, you can see me sitting in the seat closest to the camera as the car goes past, what you dont see is my 2yo girl on my knee, and my 4yo boy in the back seat. It was more-or-less walking pace cruising all day, and once youre in Whangamata, the cops turn a blind eye to the cruising as long as you dont do skids or do any drinking. Glad I got out of there this afternoon, that place is going to be busy tomorrow...
dented

Postby nostromo on Fri 25/Mar/11 9:38pm

rackerrack wrote:Hey Dented,was that your mates car on 3 news? Is it road legal now? What a beast!
Gasser.jpg

Woah thats high. Good for doing oil changes
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 25/Mar/11 9:44pm

pushbikerider wrote:
wuffy wrote:Anyone had any experience with early 90's Imprezas? Selling my old Fiat for something a bit more practical and looking at a 1993 Impreza, 2L Turbo, 4wd, Manual Hatchback.

early 90's turbo suby = pit to throw $$ into, especially if you're not mechanical, unless you know the history, avoid, IMHO

oh, and ring your insurance company and ask what the insurance will cost on it ;)

probably similar $$ will get you a mid 90's Toyota Carib BZG - or if you want a bit more room a similar age Toyota Caldina (non turbo)

A quick-quote from AA was 500 but that'd be higher if I got a proper one, not too bad considering I already pay 350 for a 1300 CC car from 1978 :D

Will have to be cautious I suppose, check everything twice. Really looking for something with a bit of grunt for MotoSoc track days and Motokhanas etc, and preferably 4wd for winter down here so an Impreza would fit the bill perfectly.
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby jeyboi on Fri 25/Mar/11 9:54pm

wuffy wrote:A quick-quote from AA was 500 but that'd be higher if I got a proper one, not too bad considering I already pay 350 for a 1300 CC car from 1978 :D

Haha, good luck with that one. I thought it was really unfair when at 19 years old I got my first turbo car and had to pay $2,400 per year in insurance premiums.

In retrospect it's completely fair, everything possible should be done to discourage people under 25 from owning anything but 1300cc Corollas.
jeyboi
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby TheIngloriousbastard on Fri 25/Mar/11 10:00pm

Metro 1275 in mini. needed a few modifications to the firewall *cough*Hammer*cough*. Makes all of 72hp atw, and being geared down from 13"s to 10"s makes it hook some arse. 20hp more than a 1275gt or cooper s standard :cool:
5.JPG
TheIngloriousbastard
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 25/Mar/11 10:11pm

wuffy wrote:A quick-quote from AA was 500 but that'd be higher if I got a proper one, not too bad considering I already pay 350 for a 1300 CC car from 1978 :D

Will have to be cautious I suppose, check everything twice. Really looking for something with a bit of grunt for MotoSoc track days and Motokhanas etc, and preferably 4wd for winter down here so an Impreza would fit the bill perfectly.

I would be really surprised if you could get 3rd party for a turbo 4wd car for $500, let alone full cover

I would expect that for me it would cost at least $500 for a turbo suby (and I'm a couple of years older than you ;) )

but that is an aside, if you really want to go turbo 4wd, do it, just be careful with classic boi racer rides, as often they are fucked, riced out, neglected or bro raced
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby LycraLarry on Fri 25/Mar/11 10:12pm

Spokes wrote:
nostromo wrote:Friend of mine has just started building a 'Mallock' which is a front engined space frame sports car designed for racing. Well he had the plans out yesterday and some steel and today when I visited he'd already welded together all the bottom tubes together to form the whole floor (the boy works fast). He sat on the floor such as it was and held an imaginary steering wheel and pointed out various imaginary components around him, yep I could see it all :D
Will have a fiendish big HP 240RS motor in it, should be a monster.

I almost bought a Mallock U2 years ago. Couldnt quite afford it. Maybe one day.

theres one for sale on trade me :

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 988802.htm
LycraLarry
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 25/Mar/11 10:18pm

LycraLarry wrote:
Spokes wrote:
nostromo wrote:Friend of mine has just started building a 'Mallock' which is a front engined space frame sports car designed for racing. Well he had the plans out yesterday and some steel and today when I visited he'd already welded together all the bottom tubes together to form the whole floor (the boy works fast). He sat on the floor such as it was and held an imaginary steering wheel and pointed out various imaginary components around him, yep I could see it all :D
Will have a fiendish big HP 240RS motor in it, should be a monster.

I almost bought a Mallock U2 years ago. Couldnt quite afford it. Maybe one day.

theres one for sale on trade me :

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 988802.htm

Now that is cool, simple classic lines, I'm sure his one won't look that nice, in fact I'll tell him he couldn't possibly make his look as cool as that :)
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts