Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Datsane on Tue 11/Jan/11 10:43pm

Anyone know if a Toyota V8 would fit in a Sw20 MR2 ? Without having to cut or beat the engine bay.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Wobbler on Tue 11/Jan/11 10:45pm

hell no
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 12/Jan/11 6:10am

kona.stinky. wrote:Where abouts was that?

The Auto Collection at Imperial Palace, Las Vegas.

Slapheid wrote:That's cool and everything but what were the bikes parked in front of those old cars?

Dunno.
They'd just had their first historic bike auction.
There was this:
167242_10150113307172594_614937593_7670188_3879238_n.jpg

An employee was coasting a bike down the polished concrete ramp and jammed on the brakes.
Locked the front and promptly binned it in front of us.
Bam.
A mint restored Ducati loses its wing mirror and gets scratched up.
Everyone dropped nuts.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 12/Jan/11 6:43am

Datsane wrote:Anyone know if a Toyota V8 would fit in a Sw20 MR2 ? Without having to cut or beat the engine bay.

unlikely, but there is someone currently shoe horning the 3.0? 6cyl from a recent Previa/ estima into an SW20 at the moment
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 3 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 12/Jan/11 10:56am

pushbikerider wrote:
Datsane wrote:Anyone know if a Toyota V8 would fit in a Sw20 MR2 ? Without having to cut or beat the engine bay.

unlikely, but there is someone currently shoe horning the 3.0? 6cyl from a recent Previa/ estima into an SW20 at the moment

I'd rather cut things then admit to people where the engine came from :lol:
The 1UZ is only 3kg or so heavier then the 3S :blink:

I have come across acouple of swaps but they all seem to have a start but no end.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 12/Jan/11 12:08pm

:crazy: 1UZ MR2?? You're mad!! Looks like it has been done once, by SARD (whoever they are):
Wikipedia wrote:Le Mans: SARD MC8-R

The Sard MC8-R was a modified and lengthened version of the SW20 built for GT racing by Toyota's works team SARD (Sigma Advanced Research Development). The MC8-R housed a twin-turbo version of the 4.0 liter Toyota 1UZ-FE V8 producing 600 bhp (450 kW).[21] Eligible for the GT1 category, the MC8-R lacked pace against the new generation sports cars and homologation specials such as Porsche 911 GT1, but did compete alongside a similarly modified Toyota Supra. One MC8 road car was built in order to meet homologation requirements, but its current whereabouts are unknown.
A SARD MC8 road car built for homologation

1995 and 1996

* The MC8-R made its first outing in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans piloted by Alain Ferté, Kenny Acheson, and Tomiko Yoshikawa. It retired after 14 laps. Later that year the car attempted the 1000km Suzuka, this time managing to finish 26th overall.

* One MC8-R was entered in the 1996 24 Hours of Le Mans, piloted by Masanori Sekiya, Hidetoshi Mitsusada, and Masami Kageyama. The team qualified 37th and finished 24th, second-to-last of finishers.

On that note, this is on Trademe at the moment. I likes it!!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 539854.htm
It's on my list of considerations if I manage to sell the Lynx.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 12/Jan/11 3:59pm

Maybe a little mad :paranoid:
Looking at those they have lengthed them between the rear wheel and the door.

That Supra would be cool as SB. Fit some wider tyres at the rear, with 205s :crazy:
Maybe a 5stud conversion at a later date with a better brake package
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 12/Jan/11 5:14pm

Yeah, I'm reasonably keen on that Supra. Wonder if it'd be better than this though??:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 403856.htm
ShoreBoy

Postby nostromo on Wed 12/Jan/11 10:13pm

I'm kinda down on Skylines at the moment. They seem to mainly just go past my house, going graggahrsssh-ngaarrrr in a way that doesn't sound quite right and annoys the fuck out of me/keeping the kids awake/turning up in news articles associated with road deaths. Also when I was motor racing they seemed pretty average when push came to shove, the ones I saw couldn't get the power down in a satisfactory way.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 12/Jan/11 10:35pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Yeah, I'm reasonably keen on that Supra. Wonder if it'd be better than this though??:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 403856.htm

That thing would be a hand full, BUY IT.
The Supra would be alot more forgiving to drive IMO, is road legal and looks a lot tidier. The person doesn't know much about car set up because gravel and tarmac set ups are miles apart.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby ShoreBoy on Thu 13/Jan/11 10:52am

Datsane wrote:That thing would be a hand full, BUY IT.
The Supra would be alot more forgiving to drive IMO, is road legal and looks a lot tidier. The person doesn't know much about car set up because gravel and tarmac set ups are miles apart.

:lol: I was wondering about that (setups). IF I was to buy that starlet, Id most likely be setting it up for tarmac/track stuff, but retaining it's road legality.

There's quite alot of options for the price range I'll hopefully be looking in ($7.5kish), just have to figure out whether I'd be better off going in small steps in terms of HP gains over the Lynx. Somehow, I think going from 95hp to 240 odd (starlet) would be quite a jump. Also thought of the possibility of picking up a 4AGZE AW11 MR2 and putting a cage in, but it might be cheaper to buy something already caged etc.

Of course, someone has to buy my car first... :(
ShoreBoy

Postby Datsane on Thu 13/Jan/11 2:40pm

Wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to put that starlet back on the road.

AW11 4AGZE would be cool. When the supercharger dies turbo it :)

Good luck with the sale of the lynx.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby ryda on Thu 13/Jan/11 3:25pm

Datsane wrote:Wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to put that starlet back on the road.

thats a faily recent number plate and the rego holder looks pretty new so my guess is, it is road legal?
or they have good way around the docs
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Thu 13/Jan/11 9:23pm

AE86's rock (unless they've got either pop-ups or a notchback) and this one looks particularly sweet. Formula Atlantic 4AGE. Don't think it's running to the full 10k in the vid though, but nice car. http://www.linkecu.com/newsfromlink/trd-ae86-n2-4age-atlantic-running-a-g4-storm
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Thu 13/Jan/11 9:27pm

ryda wrote:
Datsane wrote:Wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to put that starlet back on the road.

thats a faily recent number plate and the rego holder looks pretty new so my guess is, it is road legal?
or they have good way around the docs

It is road legal, reg is on hold and no WOF (horn broken).
ShoreBoy

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts