Re: Your Photography

Postby RJD on Fri 10/Dec/10 12:07pm

For some reason I just dont get on with it.

The cataloging is ok and the editing is alright but I always seem to have to do something more often than not in photoshop.

The export/save/weby stuff is a bit of a pain too.

Probably I just dont understand it well enough but I dont get it.

Download the free trial and have a play.
RJD
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Fri 10/Dec/10 12:19pm

Jono wrote:Anyone have an opinion of adobe lightroom? I've got photoshop elements, but I'm looking for something a bit more streamlined for dealing with RAW images now that I've got a camera that makes it worthwhile...

I'm running the trial and love it. The only other RAW processing I've done with with the OEM Canon software though - so not much to compare with.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby Jono on Sat 11/Dec/10 10:08am

Well I had a look on a distributors website at work, and I could get it for about $170, so purchase made. The 64 bit compatibility was an aspect that appealed to me, as photoshop elements can get a bit sluggish at times...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 20 years 9 months

Postby wolffman1 on Sat 11/Dec/10 6:52pm

Lightrooms a pretty good program that does probably 90% of what I need for a general photography. For me 1 photo in 10 might also get a tickle in Photoshop, but often LR is all I use.
The B&W conversion is a bit average, but it will do a lens distortion correction based on most lenses which is great.
This guy here, http://lightroomkillertips.com/ has plenty of good tutorials which got me up to speed pretty quickly on a lot of stuff, if you can handle how his accent butchers the english language. Like a fine spray of gravel poured into your earhole
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby wuffy on Sat 11/Dec/10 9:40pm

Few photos I shot today, love the one of the Rider on the Evil. Got the panning speed/direction spot on for it :love:

All these were with the plastic fantastic 50mm btw :thumbsup:

mate was too stingy to lend me his 70-200 2.8L :hmmm:

1/8000th of a second goodness :love:

Love the composition in this one.
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Sun 12/Dec/10 8:15am

Nice, good set, nifty fifty is a decent bit of gear.

I remember when I had a 70-200...
RJD
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 12/Dec/10 8:48am

wolffman1 wrote:Lightrooms a pretty good program that does probably 90% of what I need for a general photography. For me 1 photo in 10 might also get a tickle in Photoshop, but often LR is all I use.

+1

I'm using LR v2.7 and seriously thinking about upgrading to v3.3 even ahead of going to Photoshop CS5 over the CS3 I'm still using.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 12/Dec/10 9:26am

Spartacus FTW...

Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby EoinC on Sun 12/Dec/10 7:37pm

Conners wrote:
Jono wrote:Anyone have an opinion of adobe lightroom? I've got photoshop elements, but I'm looking for something a bit more streamlined for dealing with RAW images now that I've got a camera that makes it worthwhile...

I'm running the trial and love it. The only other RAW processing I've done with with the OEM Canon software though - so not much to compare with.
I use Rev. 2 (I don't know what's current). It's good. I don't bother with Photodairy anymore.
EoinC
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Sun 12/Dec/10 7:38pm

Photoshop itself, in CS5 and CS4 version does raw processing well. It's what I used for the photos above.
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby murphyflair on Sun 12/Dec/10 7:45pm

Tugboat wrote:Spartacus FTW...

Sweet shot bro :thumbsup:
murphyflair
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby woodsy on Mon 13/Dec/10 9:12am

i use lr once you get your raw import profile/color profiles(http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Camera-col ... -2010.html) set up for your cameras its pretty good
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby wolffman1 on Mon 13/Dec/10 9:27am

Tugboat wrote:I'm using LR v2.7 and seriously thinking about upgrading to v3.3 even ahead of going to Photoshop CS5 over the CS3 I'm still using.

The things I really like about lr3 is the lens correction, one click and all the pinhole or barrel distorion is gone. I do a lot of seascapes and a curvy horizon shits me off, even if it's straight across the frame. The publish to flickr is a real time saver as well as you can drag it into that directory and it automatically publishes. It saves a lot of time and I have less duplicate files on the computer now but if the image is updated in lr it will often drop out of a website posting, even though its updated on flickr. The b&w conversion is improved and it will add grain which works pretty well. The other big improvement is the noise reduction which works really really well. I saw a big step between lr2 and lr3 and its a reasonable upgrade cost.
I'm still learning Photoshop so I don't know how much difference there is between the versions. Do you still get a reduced upgrade if you skipped cs4?
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 13/Dec/10 7:16pm

Cheers Chris... the lens correction is the clincher I think. Time to upgrade.

Yep... to the upgrade discount from CS3 to CS5. You even get it from CS2!

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop ... p/upgrade/
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby nzmatto on Tue 21/Dec/10 7:55am

The other day was a sad day....my trustee riding partner (AKA my camera) died. After putting in one last effort....
003.JPG

the lens refused to close
camera 001.JPG

After checking things over properly I decided the best tool for the job
camera 002.JPG

Lined 'er up
camera 003.JPG

and gave a little tap
camera 006.JPG

RIP little buddy. :(
And after that moment of sentiment it's already been replaced with another hand me down.

nom, nom, nom, Christmas.... :rolleyes:
001.JPG
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts