Re: Go The Dads!

Postby sifter on Fri 3/Dec/10 8:13am

Oli wrote:Awesome to hear, Nostromo. :thumbsup:

:withstupid: And, "cake" is a bloody good choice in my opinion! Makes much more sense to me than "cat" which is where Kaitlyn started!
sifter
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Fri 3/Dec/10 8:14am

Yeah! Cake! :cool:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby Mel on Fri 3/Dec/10 2:18pm

Cake is the best word ever. Ella would be proud. :thumbsup:
Mel
Member for: 20 years 2 months

Postby Fango on Fri 3/Dec/10 3:03pm

Nostromo - you MUST read the book "The Brain that Changes Itself" check out the author's site at http://www.normandoidge.com
Fango
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 3/Dec/10 4:49pm

Fango wrote:Nostromo - you MUST read the book "The Brain that Changes Itself" check out the author's site at http://www.normandoidge.com

Interesting. Some impressive reviews too. Brain scans of Autistic people show the activity working strangely not just impaired as with someon with cerbral palsy or brain damage. I've read that they think the way the neurons develop or interconnect is different.
Who knows, still they like cake.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 3/Dec/10 10:29pm

As long as its not chocolate cake everyone likes cake.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 3/Dec/10 11:42pm

nostromo wrote:
Fango wrote:Nostromo - you MUST read the book "The Brain that Changes Itself" check out the author's site at http://www.normandoidge.com

Interesting. Some impressive reviews too. Brain scans of Autistic people show the activity working strangely not just impaired as with someon with cerbral palsy or brain damage. I've read that they think the way the neurons develop or interconnect is different.
Who knows, still they like cake.

And to quote myself, they are learning things all the time about the differences in Autistic brains, but not the cause of these differences yet which would get closer towards understanding a cause for Autism.
Just very recently they have worked out they can pick up Autism on MRI
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40470527/ns ... al_health/
And secondly and probably more importantly this article is saying there are clear deficiencies with mitochondria in children with autism
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ience+News)

Or a cake deficiency is possible.
nostromo

Postby Fraser on Sat 4/Dec/10 9:58pm

Went on a bit of exploring, however Manu insisted that we take his scooter rather than the bike. This is near Leppavara, Finland. Old trenches from WW2 :) This is about halfway down and there are 5 levels of trenches, now overgrown and morphing into a bike park.
It isn't steep enough for snowboarding during the winter.
Image0081.jpg
Fraser
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Mon 3/Jan/11 9:32am

Got a new cellphone with a decent camera (LG GT540; Android), its damn handy.
James walking up Mt Kau Kau a few days ago (when he stops he's not sad or avoiding looking at me as it might appear, he's just listening to sounds I'm pretty sure).

Then running along tongue out doing an impression of a dog on a ute
nostromo

Postby EoinC on Mon 3/Jan/11 1:58pm

nostromo wrote:...he's just listening to sounds I'm pretty sure)...
That's neat, Nostromo. There's a lot going on in that head. Not many of us are observant enough to taste the wind.
Keep up the rich experiences, and I hope you all have a great 2011.
EoinC
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Mel on Mon 3/Jan/11 7:46pm

Cool vids. I was worried when he spent so long at the top of the stairs, but I reckon he could feel the wind more there - rushing up in the open space of the stairs, compared to the rest of the path that looked quite sheltered.

Opening your mouth in the wind can make different noises inside your head too (moving your tongue to altering the pitch) . And it tastes funny. :D
Mel
Member for: 20 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Mon 3/Jan/11 11:25pm

Very observant both!
This one which I'm glad I thought to capture, shows his current obsession, seemingly making triangle-ish and Z shapes with three straight objects of any type, spoons, nails; anything that comes to hand, then unconnecting where they cross over ad nauseum.
This one only lasted a few secs either because they weren't uniform or the other obsession - water was close by - but it can be for yonks if he gets something uniform like the other night when I gave him some shiskebab sticks. Really calms him if he's anxious.

What to make of it :paranoid: If only he could talk!
nostromo

Postby EoinC on Tue 4/Jan/11 1:58pm

If he could talk, he probably then wouldn't be able to perceive all the things he can perceive (just like us).
One thing you may already be aware of (I grasped it from looking back at my Downs Syndrome daughter) is that it's easy to gloss over what our children have achieved. For example, James appears to be very steady on his feet, and is healthy and strong. Sometimes those achievments can be pushed aside in our concentration on other standards that we feel are necessary.
Does James like to draw / paint / play with clay? Those may be areas where he can discover and control.
Happy New Year.
EoinC
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 4/Jan/11 4:46pm

nostromo wrote:Very observant both!
This one which I'm glad I thought to capture, shows his current obsession, seemingly making triangle-ish and Z shapes with three straight objects of any type, spoons, nails; anything that comes to hand, then unconnecting where they cross over ad nauseum.
This one only lasted a few secs either because they weren't uniform or the other obsession - water was close by - but it can be for yonks if he gets something uniform like the other night when I gave him some shiskebab sticks. Really calms him if he's anxious.

What to make of it :paranoid: If only he could talk!

Triangle shapes? Bicycle frames are made up of triangle shapes… :)

Good to see the vids.
I’ve probably said to you – I’ve led programs with Intellectually Handicapped Adults and when we could we’d look for small developments – often in areas that we hadn’t expected.
It helped to keep a positive outlook.

I hope you have a good year of it :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby goldfish on Tue 4/Jan/11 7:34pm

EoinC wrote:........ it's easy to gloss over what our children have achieved. For example, James appears to be very steady on his feet, and is healthy and strong.

That was my immediate impression - "what a healthy and obviously loved and well looked after little boy!" :)

Good to remember also that lots of kids do lots of 'weird' stuff. 'Typically developing' three year olds will do all sorts of things which seem peculiar to our socially conditioned adult eyes. Great to see how much James is engaging with his environment, and wonderful to hear that he's starting to engage with people, too.

Keep up the awesome parenting job - can't wait to see what James acheives in 2011 :thumbsup:
goldfish
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Sifting - Latest Posts