Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 16/Jun/10 6:53am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Here he is :)
Marcel on bike 15.6.2010.jpg
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Go The Dads!

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 16/Jun/10 6:16pm

:) Here he is again. We went down to the school again (all of us) and this time he got the hang of turning to come back again, aiming for and occasionally running over a can and starting off (ok, that needs work but he gets it 43% of the time).
As Oli says - it's great seeing him getting it :D
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 16/Jun/10 6:19pm

:)
Marcel cornering.jpg
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Fraser on Thu 24/Jun/10 4:43pm

It took 3 countries and a bunch loads of people with PHD's and 200 years of cycling. But they have found the formula for riding a bike. :thumbsup:

Dads it is black and white. Yes just explain to your 2 year old this simple formula.

The equation, uses 31 numbers and symbols, plus nine pairs of brackets but means: Inertia forces + gyroscopic forces + the effects of gravity and centrifugal forces = the leaning of the body and the torque applied to the handlebars of a bike.
Or put more simply if you don't pedal fast enough to keep moving while keeping the bike straight, you fall over.
"People more than a hundred years ago were trying to figure out why a two wheeled bicycle, given forward momentum, like a push, would seem to balance by itself." said Dr Schwab.
Dr Schwab explained: "Using our equation we can simulate the motion of a bike and predict whether it will remain stable or not."

Simply print out this formula below.
Tape this to their handlebars as a reminder or for quick reference should they ask. 'Daaad...why did I fall off?'
math.jpg
Fraser
Member for: 20 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Thu 24/Jun/10 4:49pm

Fraser wrote:It took 3 countries and a bunch loads of people with PHD's and 200 years of cycling. But they have found the formula for riding a bike. :thumbsup:

Dads it is black and white. Yes just explain to your 2 year old this simple formula.

The equation, uses 31 numbers and symbols, plus nine pairs of brackets but means: Inertia forces + gyroscopic forces + the effects of gravity and centrifugal forces = the leaning of the body and the torque applied to the handlebars of a bike.
Or put more simply if you don't pedal fast enough to keep moving while keeping the bike straight, you fall over.
"People more than a hundred years ago were trying to figure out why a two wheeled bicycle, given forward momentum, like a push, would seem to balance by itself." said Dr Schwab.
Dr Schwab explained: "Using our equation we can simulate the motion of a bike and predict whether it will remain stable or not."

Tape this to their handlebars as a reminder or for quick reference should they ask. 'Daaad...why did I fall off?'

awesome. That result's clearly more intuitive than it looks!
sifter
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 24/Jun/10 5:46pm

Fraser wrote:Simply print out this formula below.

That's really awesome - I can't understand how so many people ever managed to ride bikes without this.

Do you think it would be considered bike-doping if TdF riders had this on their handlebars?
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 24/Jun/10 10:03pm

fatwombat wrote:
Fraser wrote:Simply print out this formula below.

That's really awesome - I can't understand how so many people ever managed to ride bikes without this.

Do you think it would be considered bike-doping if TdF riders had this on their handlebars?

To busy concealing the use of the on off switch to their hidden motors and not enough room on the bars.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 25/Jun/10 12:49pm

Whew, I think I have reached that stage called 'Acceptance' about my son's Autism. I've stopped worrying about the future and what's not going to be, which is good because the road to get here has been very hard. Now I can enjoy being a Dad again. :thumbsup:
This is my son James. He doesn't talk, and perhaps he never will but he can ride a bike
mail.jpg
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Jun/10 12:54pm

Good stuff, bro! How is the new system working so far?
Oli
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Colin on Fri 25/Jun/10 12:58pm

:thumbsup:
Colin
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby dented on Fri 25/Jun/10 1:16pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
dented
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 25/Jun/10 2:11pm

Fraser wrote:It took 3 countries and a bunch loads of people with PHD's and 200 years of cycling. But they have found the formula for riding a bike. :thumbsup:

Quality, that should be available on a tee shirt...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 25/Jun/10 2:17pm

Oli wrote:Good stuff, bro! How is the new system working so far?

All go, started this week! Very exciting. We have about five people involved in the ABA tutoring including the programme supervisor, two of our friends unprompted quit their jobs and took pay cuts to become his part-time teachers.

This is what its about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_behavior_analysis but basically an effective way to teach people with learning difficulties.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 1/Jul/10 9:04am

Hello dads!

For those with younguns, I'm wanting some buggy advice. Am looking at the Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle or the Phil and Teds Sport. Any one got opinions about which is better for off-roadability (4wd tracks, gravel, beach, that sort of thing)? Other things to take into consideration, etc?

Ta in advance :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby psychavoc on Thu 1/Jul/10 9:14am

nostromo wrote:
Oli wrote:Good stuff, bro! How is the new system working so far?

All go, started this week! Very exciting. We have about five people involved in the ABA tutoring including the programme supervisor, two of our friends unprompted quit their jobs and took pay cuts to become his part-time teachers.

This is what its about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_behavior_analysis but basically an effective way to teach people with learning difficulties.

I was part of a team that did a review of the ABA research for autistic spectrum disorders for the Ministry of Ed/Health a couple of years ago - the programmes and interventions look very promising :) http://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publ ... on/61210/1
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Sifting - Latest Posts