Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Fraser on Thu 29/Apr/10 3:58am

All the best racetracks scare the shit out of you.
Fraser
User avatar
Member for: 20 years 7 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Datsane on Thu 29/Apr/10 4:26pm

nostromo wrote:
dented wrote:A lot of people lose it there in the same way, including me once. Coming up over the mountain hard in it, its a bumpy piece of track, it rolls off-camber as you get right to the outside, then you get a wheel on the grass and the back end tries to overtake the front. You get some opposite lock but by then all 4 wheels have broken traction and the car is heading on a path that takes it directly to the scene of the accident, which is the armco on the inside of the corner.

I was sitting in the grandstand just a bit further along the front straight at Pukekohe about 9 years ago when Cedric Abernethy crashed his racetruck in exactly the same way, except all the armco did was brush off a little speed. Was a terrifying crash and he was hospitalised, and vowed never to race trucks again. If not for the huge deep drain between the straight and the pitlane....who knows?

Sounds like it's f''n dangerous and should be fixed. I Remember John Osborne going off at the other end of the front straight and getting a piece of wood impaled through his thigh and all sorts of nice stuff like that, he was wrecked and in hospital for a long long time, there was all sorts of brouhaha at that time about track surface and general Puke dangerousness, I had thought the place was fixed then.
Speed limit all the cars to 50km while we are at it then.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 29/Apr/10 5:03pm

dented wrote:Its one of those things. Do we do something in spite of the danger, or precisely because of the danger?

Pukekohe is special for several reasons, it has been the same track configuration for a very long time, with many very famous people having graced it. It holds the record as being the track with the highest average speed in Australasia, higher even than Bathurst. The bumps and the lack of runoff just add to the experience IMO. Unfortunately it wont be around forever, infact its days are numbered now that Hampton Downs is all go, much is the shame.

A young man named Michael McHugh died on that very corner when his Formula Ford touched wheels with another car, and he was launched into the armco, just a few years ago. Also there was another racetruck crash not so many years ago that hit the outside armco, and resulted in the truck body separating from the chassis in the crash, driver walked away though. And does anyone remember the Porsche GT3 crash a few years ago, in the same weekend as the V8 Supercar racing, where the crash started off much the same as the one in the link above, except he caught the first couple of wild slides, before it launched over the armco and came to rest in the bottom 4 rows of the grandstand seating.

Motorsport is dangerous, but thats not news to anyone.


Pukekohe is insanely dangerous on a motorbike, I'm told.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby nostromo on Thu 29/Apr/10 6:32pm

Datsane wrote:
nostromo wrote:
dented wrote:A lot of people lose it there in the same way, including me once. Coming up over the mountain hard in it, its a bumpy piece of track, it rolls off-camber as you get right to the outside, then you get a wheel on the grass and the back end tries to overtake the front. You get some opposite lock but by then all 4 wheels have broken traction and the car is heading on a path that takes it directly to the scene of the accident, which is the armco on the inside of the corner.

I was sitting in the grandstand just a bit further along the front straight at Pukekohe about 9 years ago when Cedric Abernethy crashed his racetruck in exactly the same way, except all the armco did was brush off a little speed. Was a terrifying crash and he was hospitalised, and vowed never to race trucks again. If not for the huge deep drain between the straight and the pitlane....who knows?

Sounds like it's f''n dangerous and should be fixed. I Remember John Osborne going off at the other end of the front straight and getting a piece of wood impaled through his thigh and all sorts of nice stuff like that, he was wrecked and in hospital for a long long time, there was all sorts of brouhaha at that time about track surface and general Puke dangerousness, I had thought the place was fixed then.
Speed limit all the cars to 50km while we are at it then.

When it's unnecessarily dangerous it's stupid. Nothing wrong with tearing off into a load of plowed earth and breaking the car.
Very high speed, bumps, bad camber, no run off, its fucked IMHO for a purpose built race track to have that combination in one place. You don't need to have peoples lives in danger to have entertaining racing!
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Datsane on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:34pm

nostromo wrote:
Datsane wrote:
nostromo wrote:
dented wrote:A lot of people lose it there in the same way, including me once. Coming up over the mountain hard in it, its a bumpy piece of track, it rolls off-camber as you get right to the outside, then you get a wheel on the grass and the back end tries to overtake the front. You get some opposite lock but by then all 4 wheels have broken traction and the car is heading on a path that takes it directly to the scene of the accident, which is the armco on the inside of the corner.

I was sitting in the grandstand just a bit further along the front straight at Pukekohe about 9 years ago when Cedric Abernethy crashed his racetruck in exactly the same way, except all the armco did was brush off a little speed. Was a terrifying crash and he was hospitalised, and vowed never to race trucks again. If not for the huge deep drain between the straight and the pitlane....who knows?

Sounds like it's f''n dangerous and should be fixed. I Remember John Osborne going off at the other end of the front straight and getting a piece of wood impaled through his thigh and all sorts of nice stuff like that, he was wrecked and in hospital for a long long time, there was all sorts of brouhaha at that time about track surface and general Puke dangerousness, I had thought the place was fixed then.
Speed limit all the cars to 50km while we are at it then.

When it's unnecessarily dangerous it's stupid. Nothing wrong with tearing off into a load of plowed earth and breaking the car.
Very high speed, bumps, bad camber, no run off, its fucked IMHO for a purpose built race track to have that combination in one place. You don't need to have peoples lives in danger to have entertaining racing!

There are a bunch of race circuits like it. Any street circuit for a start, bathurst, Nurberg, plus a bunch more in Europe that I could never remember the names of.
Its racing its not like people are forced to do it. They could drive alittle slower and take more care, but its not going to happen.

Doesn't the track cease operation in 2012 or there abouts? When the lease runs out it wasn't being renewed and is why no major mods have been done to the track. It floods something wicked when it rains made worse when its high tide :lol:
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Fraser on Fri 30/Apr/10 5:02am

I love going fast and pushing the envelope of what ever I am driving. I love the buzz of riding thru the city on a bike.
ring.jpg
Fraser
User avatar
Member for: 20 years 7 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby dented on Fri 30/Apr/10 7:26am

:lol:
dented
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby ShoreBoy on Fri 30/Apr/10 3:48pm

I have spoken to a number of track0day drivers who refuse to go to Pukekohe anymore because they feel it's too dangerous. I probably won't go again, but only 'cos my car hasn't got the lungs for the style of track. When you're at top speed by 1/3 straight, it kinda takes the fun out of it.
ShoreBoy
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby its that guy on Fri 30/Apr/10 3:52pm

Hampton downs circuit is broken... Theres a bend in the straight. :hmmm:
http://clevedoncounty.co.nz/RaceTeam/wp ... IRCUIT.jpg
its that guy
User avatar
"Lurkin"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Apr/10 6:23pm

ShoreBoy wrote:I have spoken to a number of track0day drivers who refuse to go to Pukekohe anymore because they feel it's too dangerous. I probably won't go again, but only 'cos my car hasn't got the lungs for the style of track. When you're at top speed by 1/3 straight, it kinda takes the fun out of it.


It’s certainly not too fast for my MGBGT….or possibly my MGBGT is way too slow :( for it…(mainly because none of my MGs are going at the ‘mo :blush: )
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby woodsy on Sun 2/May/10 9:56pm

:)
YV8F0120.jpg
YV8F0014.jpg
YV8F0030.jpg
YV8F0047.jpg
YV8F0107.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Joshguy01 on Sun 2/May/10 10:44pm

Saw a Panther DeVille today. Panther sure knew how to balls-up
Joshguy01
User avatar
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby cooper770 on Mon 3/May/10 10:02am

Phippsy wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Specialist-cars/Gokarts/auction-279403210.htm



cool pulse jet.....

did the UK TV program "inventors" ever make it out to NZ? 2 teams of 4 compete each week, in 2 days, to make a machine based on a basic description. I.E no gear driven car. Sort of like scrap heap challenge but slightly more polished.

it was won by a team of Kiwi ex air-force boys who built an LPG powered pulse jet cart. It hit about 120mph down the drag strip at Shakespeare park raceway!
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby OliverBendix on Mon 3/May/10 10:22am

:D Love the BMW bubble car, Woodsy!
OliverBendix
User avatar
"Punter"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 3/May/10 11:42am

cooper770 wrote:
Phippsy wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Specialist-cars/Gokarts/auction-279403210.htm



cool pulse jet.....

did the UK TV program "inventors" ever make it out to NZ? 2 teams of 4 compete each week, in 2 days, to make a machine based on a basic description. I.E no gear driven car. Sort of like scrap heap challenge but slightly more polished.

it was won by a team of Kiwi ex air-force boys who built an LPG powered pulse jet cart. It hit about 120mph down the drag strip at Shakespeare park raceway!


thats a turbine not a pulse jet... HTH
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

50 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 49 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles

cron