Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 12/Apr/10 11:16am

I don't know why, but I never used to be much of a hot-rod fan. I always preferred original classics or muscle car, but lately, I've been admiring them more and more.


Saw a new Jaguar XF in the flesh the other day. Very nice green, but it also proved just 'cos your rich, doesn't mean you can park.
XF1.jpg
ShoreBoy
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Colin on Mon 12/Apr/10 11:41am

ShoreBoy wrote:I don't know why, but I never used to be much of a hot-rod fan. I always preferred original classics or muscle car, but lately, I've been admiring them more and more.


Saw a new Jaguar XF in the flesh the other day. Very nice green, but it also proved just 'cos your rich, doesn't mean you can park.


It's Perfectly parked !!!!

Over the back of the car park. End of the row. Big as gap to the next park so any lame brain in a jap import shit-box or Korean eco-crappier-car with no respect for anyone esles property (expecially someone who has acheived something in their life and can afford nice things) doesn't bash their doors against the shiney.

I use exactly that parking technique all the time.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby ShoreBoy on Mon 12/Apr/10 11:53am

That actually makes an awful lot of sense!

I forgot to mention I met up with a few other Lotus 7 replica owners from the club at Easter:

Blue = Westfield SE1 - 1600 Ford X flow
Green/Yellow = Chevron - 13b Rotary
Silver/Green = Tui 7 - 1600 Ford X-flow
Yellow = my Lynx - Toyota 2TG-EU 1600 DOHC

I have plans for my one in Winter, along the lines of fabricating some cycle guards & mounts for the front wheels, and experimenting with making an aero screen for track-days. :thumbsup:
lotus7club1.jpg
lotus7club2.jpg
lotus7club3.jpg
ShoreBoy
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 12/Apr/10 12:20pm

Colin wrote:
ShoreBoy wrote:I don't know why, but I never used to be much of a hot-rod fan. I always preferred original classics or muscle car, but lately, I've been admiring them more and more.


Saw a new Jaguar XF in the flesh the other day. Very nice green, but it also proved just 'cos your rich, doesn't mean you can park.


It's Perfectly parked !!!!

Over the back of the car park. End of the row. Big as gap to the next park so any lame brain in a jap import shit-box or Korean eco-crappier-car with no respect for anyone esles property (expecially someone who has acheived something in their life and can afford nice things) doesn't bash their doors against the shiney.

I use exactly that parking technique all the time.


CONCUR.

also, I am the guy you will see taking up FOUR carparks if they are available (parked in the centre of the "Cross" if it is a double row)
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 12/Apr/10 12:21pm

ryda wrote:on the wharf and the boat on the weekend

I beleive the pre 49 nats were in Christchurch


indeed.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby cooper770 on Tue 13/Apr/10 8:23am

ShoreBoy wrote:I don't know why, but I never used to be much of a hot-rod fan. I always preferred original classics or muscle car, but lately, I've been admiring them more and more.


Saw a new Jaguar XF in the flesh the other day. Very nice green, but it also proved just 'cos your rich, doesn't mean you can park.


ditto, admire the skill and engineering that go's into rods, but always been into the cars that bring back memories of going to the races with my dad when I was a kid. Don't really get into the whole Aussie V8 thing, unless its watching the masters series that they have in Aussie, especially when the Kiwi Muscle and Central Muscle cars boys go over and race with them.

Theres a classic meeting coming up at Manfeild on the 9th of May which should be good fun.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 13/Apr/10 11:09am

Over the back of the car park. End of the row. Big as gap to the next park so any lame brain in a jap import shit-box or Korean eco-crappier-car with no respect for anyone esles property (expecially someone who has acheived something in their life and can afford nice things) doesn't bash their doors against the shiney.

When I see new Jags I usually think of a boss I had a few years ago (I resigned) who had a new green Jag coupe.
He was a little ratbag who had achieved little in life apart from owning a business and a flash Harry car, so given the opportunity I’d park my ” a jap import shit-box or Korean eco-crappier-car” real close to one :D
Sadly the opportunity never rears it’s head.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Spyder on Wed 14/Apr/10 12:19pm

Some interesting machinery in the next Turners "Classic" auction (some dross as well though). http://www.turners.co.nz/Auctions/Pages/Auctions-Details.aspx?scope=Products&view=VehicleCatalogue&AuctionId=16547

Nice looking 308GTB, interesting BMW race car, cheap 928S4, early Brock Commodore, Escort Cossie, GTR
Spyder
User avatar
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby cooper770 on Wed 14/Apr/10 2:35pm

Spyder wrote:Some interesting machinery in the next Turners "Classic" auction (some dross as well though). http://www.turners.co.nz/Auctions/Pages/Auctions-Details.aspx?scope=Products&view=VehicleCatalogue&AuctionId=16547

Nice looking 308GTB, interesting BMW race car, cheap 928S4, early Brock Commodore, Escort Cossie, GTR


shame about the cossie....can't be vinned in NZ...best place for it is in classic rally/Targa and as it can't be registered its limited.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby jeyboi on Wed 14/Apr/10 4:25pm

What does the legislation say in regards to "classic" vehicles?

I remember when the frontal impact law was introduced, it knocked out anything pre 1996 - things like R32 Skylines, FC RX7s, BG Familias, etc... but I remember something about cars being classed as "classic" once they reached a certain age. For some reason I though it was 20 years, but perhaps it's longer? Anywho, once they reach this age they can be imported/vinned as they're "classic" and exempt from frontal impact laws. IIRC...
jeyboi
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 14/Apr/10 4:34pm

wonder what the Cossie is worth as a track day/clubmans car?
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 14/Apr/10 4:48pm

shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Datsane on Wed 14/Apr/10 4:55pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Colin wrote:
ShoreBoy wrote:I don't know why, but I never used to be much of a hot-rod fan. I always preferred original classics or muscle car, but lately, I've been admiring them more and more.


Saw a new Jaguar XF in the flesh the other day. Very nice green, but it also proved just 'cos your rich, doesn't mean you can park.


It's Perfectly parked !!!!

Over the back of the car park. End of the row. Big as gap to the next park so any lame brain in a jap import shit-box or Korean eco-crappier-car with no respect for anyone esles property (expecially someone who has acheived something in their life and can afford nice things) doesn't bash their doors against the shiney.

I use exactly that parking technique all the time.


CONCUR.

also, I am the guy you will see taking up FOUR carparks if they are available (parked in the centre of the "Cross" if it is a double row)
Parking like a retard you are more likely to have someone do something to it on purpose. Like parking super close as to make it hard for person to get in.
Or more drastic option is to park next to it (if you'll fit in the bay) then ringing the tow company to have it towed :p
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby cooper770 on Wed 14/Apr/10 5:33pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:wonder what the Cossie is worth as a track day/clubmans car?



ex rally car from down south sold about 18 months ago for 18K....mind you it had only been driven on Sundays.... :rolleyes:

I'd say based on no rego, and even given the potential under a classic status as mentioned above, it would be a minefield of red tape getting it legal it can't be worth more than a road legal fully set up Rally car, in fact I'd say at least 1/2. So my pick would be 10-12k tops on a very good day.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby cooper770 on Wed 14/Apr/10 9:53pm

skimming through some photos of old found this one from IMM in 1994.
25260_117865178228581_100000152992775_298516_809531_n.jpg
Yes it is...
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

110 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 109 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles