Re: Your Photography

Postby PhilterNZ on Fri 20/Nov/09 7:59am

if the 40d is in good condition - It would be a better purchase, the 450d is a great little camera though.

what lenses come with them ?
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby RJD on Fri 20/Nov/09 8:34am

40D is orsome, good fps, great screen, great handling, decent fast af (if not many points), only 10mp and no video but thats not too big an issue, and I think a great IQ compared to others.

I'd take one over a 450d in a shot.
RJD
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby UK_Exile on Fri 20/Nov/09 1:12pm

I've had a 40D for about 18mths. Great camera. One of reasons we brought it was more robust and far better battery life compared to 400D, 450D etc. The 6.5 frame per second is great for biking shots. Press and hold !
UK_Exile
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby woodsy on Fri 20/Nov/09 2:33pm

WH wrote:More or less on-topic... I recently noticed some dust spots on my pics, which I assumed was dust on the sensor. The sensor looks clean though (to the naked eye, anyway), so I looked at my lens... I swear there's about half a ton of dust in there, mostly on the inside of one of the outer-most lens elements (Nikon 18-200mm VR). I can only assume it got sucked in there when the lens has been extended for zooming and the internal volume increases, drawing air in. It obviously needs to be serviced/cleaned, the question is 'where?'.

I live in Tauranga and the only decent camera shop I know is Carters here in town. Has anyone had any experience with them, or would you recommend somewhere else? (I'm thinking no further than say Hamilton or Rotorua, if I need to drop it off) And can anyone shed any light on how much lighter my wallet will be for a lens clean?

At some point I will take the lens into Carters and get a quote, but I thought I'd post on here to prepare myself for the answer...

Cheers.

wouldnt worry about it. the inside of the lens elements are wet coated (thats why dust sticks to surface)
and to clean them they have to take lens apart then clean lenses in a negative ion enviroment ,re coat then reasemble
and calibrate = lots of folding stuff .easyer to depending on software create a profile that automaticly removes spots on import
i have about 4 profiles for diffrent bodys and lenses
and just how bad it can be heres my 100-400mm. but it still produces a good photo (sample a few pages back ). dust just reduces the amount of light hitting sensor if its on frontal elements. if on rear it will cast a spot
and what rjd said
-2374.jpg
crop-2374.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby cauld on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:12pm

PhilterNZ wrote:if the 40d is in good condition - It would be a better purchase, the 450d is a great little camera though.

what lenses come with them ?

I'd be inclined to take the hand 40D over the 450D.

I'm a big fan of the lower end bodies as long as you get them body only... The kit lenses are rubbish and you'll become annoyed with them very quickly.

40D + 24-105 F4 L is a great starting setup... I organised one of these for a friends wife recently and she was stoked.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby thelivo on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:15pm

Got a 7D yet Chris? I'm jonesing for one, but income is not what it was.....
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby cauld on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:28pm

thelivo wrote:Got a 7D yet Chris? I'm jonesing for one, but income is not what it was.....

I might get myself a 7D for Christmas if I'm feeling extra indulge and my Nov bonus is anything like my Oct bonus :-)

I've been to Colin Kirk and played with one a bunch.

Got an ST-E2 Flash controller last week on tardme so 7D plus my two 580 EX IIs will make a great MTB photo setup this summer. Have a wedding to shoot Jan 9 too and could use a new spare body (to replace the 20D)
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"

Postby thelivo on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:35pm

cauld wrote:
thelivo wrote:Got a 7D yet Chris? I'm jonesing for one, but income is not what it was.....

I might get myself a 7D for Christmas if I'm feeling extra indulge and my Nov bonus is anything like my Oct bonus :-)

I've been to Colin Kirk and played with one a bunch.

Got an ST-E2 Flash controller last week on tardme so 7D plus my two 580 EX IIs will make a great MTB photo setup this summer. Have a wedding to shoot Jan 9 too and could use a new spare body (to replace the 20D)

You dont need the flash controller with the 7D do you? Isnt it built in?
I played with one when i was in sydney, seeing as i shoot sport almost exclusively i REALLY liked it.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby RJD on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:54pm

Yep its built in, its still optical though and limited range and angle, and still fires a little bit even if you set the body flash to not fire.

So it has its limits and wouldnt replace the seprate controllers completly.
RJD

Postby cauld on Fri 20/Nov/09 3:56pm

RJD wrote:Yep its built in, its still optical though and limited range and angle, and still fires a little bit even if you set the body flash to not fire.

So it has its limits and wouldnt replace the seprate controllers completly.

Yea... based on my playing around it's not a match for the ST-E2 or a 5xx series on the body.

WOuld like a pair of Radio Poppers at some point... but not sure they've quite got their new model right yet.
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"

Postby Tugboat on Fri 20/Nov/09 8:25pm

Stoked... I just scored a Canon EF300 f4 L for a nice price on Tardme. :)
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby RJD on Fri 20/Nov/09 9:03pm

Hahaha I almost bid against you, realy after a 400/5.6 so I didnt...

Gratz, ace lens!
RJD

Postby spiderweb on Fri 20/Nov/09 9:07pm

that is twice I have posted in a thread at same time as someone else and it not listed grrrr

how do you tell what is a genuine product vs parallel import on tardme or do people just snap the bargain priced parallel imports and hope for best given that the warranty is a bit sus with parallel import goods. Interested to hear opinions
spiderweb
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Fri 20/Nov/09 9:11pm

RJD wrote:Hahaha I almost bid against you, realy after a 400/5.6 so I didnt...

Gratz, ace lens!

:lol:

I'd thought about the 400/5.6 but decided to go 300/4 as I then have the option to add a 1.4x extender which will give 420/5.6. And the IS is a bonus on the 300 for me as I shoot a lot of sailing as well from on the water.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby Tugboat on Fri 20/Nov/09 9:14pm

spiderweb wrote:that is twice I have posted in a thread at same time as someone else and it not listed grrrr

how do you tell what is a genuine product vs parallel import on tardme or do people just snap the bargain priced parallel imports and hope for best given that the warranty is a bit sus with parallel import goods. Interested to hear opinions

A lot of the guys who sell a lot of brand new camera gear on tardme (Bartman for example) drop ship direct from China/Hong Kong.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts