Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby happybaboon on Tue 17/Nov/09 6:45pm

danose wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Can anyone reccomend a good head covering thing? Something that'll keep the sweat out of my eyes, but also something that evaporates the sweat well 'cos otherwise stuff tends to end up a sopping sweaty mess, which then gets cold in the breeze and gets super cold and give me kind of an ice cream headache in my forehead :(

since this is the mechanics thread I'd guess the answer would be to coat your head liberally with copper anti-seize, and torque the wingnuts to spec

seriously though, I swear by using a Buff(tm) - does all the things you want

I'ma look into one of them. Today I tried pinning an arm warmer together lengthways... I was concerned it would be too hot, but not so. Once it got a drenching in sweat it moderated temperatures nicely. Sadly though it felt kind of like wearing a compression stocking on my head :blink:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 21 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 17/Nov/09 6:50pm

Mr_Bob wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Hi guys
Can someone track down the price for an X9 rear mech bolt?
Part number: 11.7515.009.000

Cheers

Can't find that exact number listed,
but for a part listed as:
07 X9 RD hanger bolt $49
Or 2006 X7/X9/DD27 RD hanger bolt:$45
(Rrp)

Dang
Hoped it wouldn't be that much

Cheers though :)
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 20 years 5 months

Postby ratrod on Tue 17/Nov/09 6:52pm

I might have one. I'll have a look a bit later. After dinner.
ratrod
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 17/Nov/09 7:44pm

:thumbsup:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 20 years 5 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 19/Nov/09 11:32am

Just pulled my forks apart to give them a service for the for first time since ive owned them and I have a feeling that I am missing a spacer on the damper assembly.

It is a set of 2006 fox van r's that I am running at 130mm but initially came as 100mm forks. The change over was done before I bought them.

I have attached a picture to show the spacers that it has been running. If it turns out I am missing a spacer where would I be able to get a replacement from?

cheers :thumbsup:
DSC02402.JPG
Bob_Jones
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 19/Nov/09 12:13pm

What part of the country are you in? Any shop should be able to get one. I can't remember how many spacers those forks need, does the spring+spacer on the damper look shorter than the spring + spacer on the other side? The damper will always be sitting slightly in to its travel when the fork is assembled
JohnnyC
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 19/Nov/09 12:15pm

Actually, they look like they may be missing a spacer from onto of the spring stack also.

Having said that, the only literature I have on the spacer configuration is for a 125mm travel fork. So the damper and nuetral assy may be different. Did you measure the travel before disassembly?
Chickenman
Member for: 20 years 8 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 19/Nov/09 12:32pm

I think I might have the same info as you chickenman, I wasnt able to find anything on the 130mm fork specifically either. Um but I do know there was 130mm of stanchion showing so im assuming they were 130mm travel?

And JohnnyC, the damper definitely wasnt sitting in to its travel, I have never pulled the fork apart but I could always hear something rattling in the damper side which must of been the damper spring that had room to move due to the lack of a spacer.

So does anyone have any idea what spacers I should ask for at the bike shop or should I just bring the whole lot in and let them work it out. The fork is in bits though which could make it awkward.

But thanks for the help
Bob_Jones

Postby danose on Thu 19/Nov/09 1:15pm

Bob_Jones wrote:And JohnnyC, the damper definitely wasnt sitting in to its travel, I have never pulled the fork apart but I could always hear something rattling in the damper side which must of been the damper spring that had room to move due to the lack of a spacer.

So does anyone have any idea what spacers I should ask for at the bike shop or should I just bring the whole lot in and let them work it out. The fork is in bits though which could make it awkward.

I've got an OEM 05 van and like you had it travel changed to 130mm - meant sourcing the missing spacer (which Andre at HQ took car of :thumbsup: ).

According the to the manual, the spacer config for 130mm is to have a spacer above the assist spring on the damper side (trouble is with OEM 100mm forks you don't get that spacer). I'd presume it's 30mm long (they don't tell in the manual). Your non-damper side looks correct (in 100mm that spacer is down the bottom - it just gets moved to the top for the 130mm mode). Johnny's thinking of the pre-05 vans which has 80/100/125mm options and hence more spacers to move around.

other option is to run with NO assist spring on the damper side - standard trick for those 'between a soft/med' riders
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 19/Nov/09 1:22pm

danose wrote:
Bob_Jones wrote:And JohnnyC, the damper definitely wasnt sitting in to its travel, I have never pulled the fork apart but I could always hear something rattling in the damper side which must of been the damper spring that had room to move due to the lack of a spacer.

I've got an OEM 05 van and like you had it travel changed to 130mm - meant sourcing the missing spacer (which Andre at HQ took car of :thumbsup: ).

According the to the manual, the spacer config for 130mm is to have a spacer above the assist spring on the damper side (trouble is with OEM 100mm forks you don't get that spacer). I'd presume it's 30mm long (they don't tell in the manual).

other option is to run with NO assist spring on the damper side - standard trick for those 'between a soft/med' riders

So you would think that I would only be missing the single spacer? Because that would be easy enough to sort out. I definitely want to source the spacer as I have felt that the fork has been riding a bit soft so would be good to see if installing the spacer helped that out. Is it the same diameter spacer as the one on the coil side?
Bob_Jones

Postby danose on Thu 19/Nov/09 1:32pm

Bob_Jones wrote:So you would think that I would only be missing the single spacer? Because that would be easy enough to sort out. I definitely want to source the spacer as I have felt that the fork has been riding a bit soft so would be good to see if installing the spacer helped that out. Is it the same diameter spacer as the one on the coil side?

without it the fork would only 'ride' soft in the first 30mm - so if it's felt soft thru the whole travel it may be you need to go to the next spring up (indeed next spring up plus no assist might be just right)

according to the parts list, the damper side spacer is 30mm, but a different part number to the spring side spacer and quite different diams (both inside diam to match the shaft, and outside)

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... 0_rev2.pdf
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... 1_rev2.pdf
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 19/Nov/09 1:42pm

danose wrote:
Bob_Jones wrote:So you would think that I would only be missing the single spacer? Because that would be easy enough to sort out. I definitely want to source the spacer as I have felt that the fork has been riding a bit soft so would be good to see if installing the spacer helped that out. Is it the same diameter spacer as the one on the coil side?

without it the fork would only 'ride' soft in the first 30mm - so if it's felt soft thru the whole travel it may be you need to go to the next spring up (indeed next spring up plus no assist might be just right)

according to the parts list, the damper side spacer is 30mm, but a different part number to the spring side spacer and quite different diams (both inside diam to match the shaft, and outside)

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... 0_rev2.pdf
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... 1_rev2.pdf

Thats exactly it, The fork always seemed to have excessive sag but then I wouldn't bottom it excessively so I figured I was on the correct spring weight. I have emailed Rick so hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the whole situation. Thanks alot for the help :thumbsup:
Bob_Jones

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 19/Nov/09 1:55pm

Oh and one more thing, Im changing the seals at the same time and on the enduro site it suggests using super slick grease when installing the new seals. I have got a tube of "rock and roll" red devil grease, will that have the same effect?
Bob_Jones

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 19/Nov/09 3:42pm

Nooooooooooooo track down some manitou prep M, Rock Shox military grease or Rock N Roll Super Slick. There are others around but not as easy to get hold of
JohnnyC
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 19/Nov/09 10:35pm

Anyone know where I can track down a pair of ano red or purple chainring bolts? :paranoid:
I'm after a set of 4
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts