Re: Your Photography

Postby RJD on Fri 23/Oct/09 12:34pm

woodsy wrote:hmmm i feel a upgrade coming soon http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09102001canon1d4.asp
only if theres no problems like the mk 3

I'm sure Rob Galbraith will find some issue, everyone else/ not so sure.

I'm in for a 7D soon, no way can I afford a 1D.
RJD
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 23/Oct/09 10:46pm

jamieinauckland wrote:Ohakune
Have you posted that photo before?
I'm sure that I have seen it before. Cool photo
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby jnumbaz on Sat 24/Oct/09 1:13pm

Wakka wakka wakka
IMG_9484.JPG
jnumbaz
"high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby woodsy on Sun 25/Oct/09 12:06pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Ig59zgQkM&NR=1

ok so they used dollys and a redrock but not bad for avalible light

(canon have removed it from vincents web im picking to create more interest)
redrock_dslr_rig.jpg
redrock
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Sun 25/Oct/09 2:52pm

Nocturn looks good, but not sure it looks any different to what the 5DmkII or 7D coud have produced?
RJD

Postby jnumbaz on Sun 25/Oct/09 10:01pm

:)
IMG_2547.jpg
jnumbaz
"high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 26/Oct/09 6:34am

Thought I'd take a look at the sun setting over the South Island from Kapiti last night. These are just straight from the camera, no touching up (yet).
October 09 058.JPG

October 09 064.JPG
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Mr_GTR on Tue 27/Oct/09 11:54am

Nice. I love the west coast sunsets. Waitarere a bit further up has put on some good shows for me too.
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby ShortStuff on Tue 27/Oct/09 4:01pm

jnumbaz wrote::)

who let the cat out of the bag!?!?
ShortStuff
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 28/Oct/09 7:06am

Sunset last night was a good 'un...
IMG_4229.JPG
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 28/Oct/09 5:46pm

Indeed it was. I looked at it several times, but couldn't be arsed walking the 20 feet or so to get my camera! :)
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Wed 28/Oct/09 6:31pm

Ok, I know this will be a grossly overgeneralised post - but I'm going to make it anyway :blush:
I'm starting to look for a DSLR, it will be my first. I don't have tonnes of cash, probably looking at around the $1500 mark. Always liked the look of Canons, lots of people seem to have them which I figure must be a good thing.
Looking at their range I guess I'm somewhere around the 1000D twin lens kit or 450D kit price range. Are the twin lens kits worth going for, or are there better lenses to throw my money at? Would a twin lens kit lenses be pretty good for starting out with - or something I'd end up never using down the track?

With the lower end DSLRs what are the features (or lack of) worth looking out for? Is it similar to bikes where you get to a price point where features really start being worth something (I'm thinking about how much better a $4k trail fully is comapred to a $2k trail fully here), and then another price point where you're just throwing money away (like a $7k trail fully for example :D ).

As you may know I like the video side of things and am interested to see a lot of DSLRs now coming with HD capability. I've always thought that a camera (still or video) should be used for it's intended purpose. And another separate camera used for the other job. But are the video capabilities of a DSLR now up to a point where I really could kill two birds with one stone? I'm not entirely sold on the form factor of a DSLR for shooting video - but that's an experience thing I guess. I really love depth of field photography, something which I'd like to play with more in a video sense - but is fairly limited with a consumer video camera these days...

Any solid recommendations for brands/models/features etc (including things to stay away from) would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby ArjanH on Wed 28/Oct/09 7:06pm

IMHO steer away from the twin lens kits ... I bought a set like that and have been dissapointed ... sure they allow you to take images but I have never been impressed with their clarity/sharpness. My suggestion would be to get the 450D (I have a much older model 350D) and start of with a good 35 or 50 MM prime lens. Then save up your dollars and cents and get proper lenses.

As far as I know and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong the main difference between the more expensive and lower end models is the rate/way/speed at which images are processed and the way the different models are made. When you get to the really expensive stuff the image sensor gets larger too allowing for larger prints .... larger than A1. Those are the main difference as far as I know.
ArjanH
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Wed 28/Oct/09 8:52pm

I have a 350D too. Getting a 7D soon I think.

I#ll also 2nd getting a 30-35 or 50mm prime. The 50f1.8 is super cheap (as things go).

If you get a 1000D or 450D get the IS kit lens if you can, else dont get a kit lens. The IS kit lens is very good for the money. Also the 55-250IS is a good lens, not the 55-200.

1000D is a pretty decent all rounder, downsides are 1.5fps in RAW for sports (does 3 for jpg) and a (350d like) iffy 7 point autofocus.

450D can do 3.5 fps in RAW and has a better 9 point AF.

You have to step up to the 500D for video, which is very good (unlike nikons), but it doesnt get you a whole lot more.

Theres realy not a whole lot you cant do with a 1000d/450D, so long as you have the lens(es) to do it, thats the most important (and expensive) thing, checkout my blog, www.zarphag.com , all taken with a 350D..
RJD

Postby ArjanH on Wed 28/Oct/09 10:09pm

Nice stuff RJD ... with images like that I might just stop blaming my camera and start working on my skills hahahaha :)
ArjanH
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts