Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby Gavatron on Sun 3/May/09 6:03pm

87km bunch ride today at 30.7 average in cool conditions with an occasional shower. Needed it as have only done spin classes and the gym this week. Went out to Bridge Pa, up Whakapirau Rd, down Torrins Hill, back along Raukawa Rd and back to Taradale for a coffee and a scone. Very pleasant sitting and chatting but hard getting going again to ride home. Racing the Whakapirau/Raukawa circuit next Saturday. Looking forward to it after several flat races recently.
Gavatron
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Monolith on Sun 3/May/09 7:42pm

I managed to get out for a good wee ride yesterday before work. Met a decent bunch in Thorndon to head round the bays. I hadn't ridden in a bunch since the last BP race (6 months?!) so took it easy and behaved. Climbed up to the prison, waited for the bunch to regroup, then got dropped on the way down to Worser bay - saw everyone else at Seatoun Wharf as I got to the bottom of the hill... smashed it to get back on in Lyall Bay, had a wee rest then smashed it up Happy Valley.

Had lots of fun and got a few "How do you stop?" questions :D
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Sun 3/May/09 8:04pm

cycled home from work friday night, up SH2 and over the akas. tailwind was a bit swirly but helped overall I guess. Got to the aka about 6pm so it was already dark. My light was inadequate. My legs were leaden. Getting near staglands my light started flickering on and off in time to the bumps in the road. The clouds cleared abit and the crescent moon lit the road better than my light. It was pretty cold.

Descending from the top with a dodgy light and cold fingers was suitably scary ('specially since this was only the second time over the akas since the kapiti cycle challenge, when I went over the edge!). I thought it was one of the scariest cycling I'd ever done, until two logging trucks just north of Waikanae reminded me what cycling along SH1 was normally like.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 3/May/09 8:21pm

Another outstanding day in Wellywood. Great ride from Tylersdads place to grays road, smashed the hill that beat me last time I tried which I was stoked with, met up with Flynnster coming round the bays on Grays Rd. Then 5 of us heading up Paekak hill quickly caught another 3, so the 8 of us road together to the top. Re-grouped then smashed it back down. I took corners faster than I ever have before and was feeling for more comfortable on the bike at this speed than ever before.
I had put the seat up by about 2cm the yesterday, and it was really comfortable, was hte first ride with my new GR8RAK bib longs and they were awesome too.
On the way down the passed about 3-4 bunches of Tarbabies coming up, there must have been over 100 of them, and then we passed a few more bunches that seemed less organised and were all over the road holding up traffic. At one point they were drifting into the wrong lane they were taking up so much room. I came around the corner at 65 and there would have been about 50cm between me and a rider coming the other way....if I had have been a car it would have been all over for them!!!
Note - these last groups clearly were not the Tarbabies. They were all very well behaved!!

If you know of the other groups heading up there this morning it would be good to pass on the note that they need to stick to the road rules, cyclists don't own the road (unfortunately).

Just to show how good we were......there are 7 riders in front of me here.
Paekak Ride 001.JPG

Here's the view from the top today
Paekak Ride 008.JPG

75k's all up. Awesome day to be out and a great ride. Now I'm enjoying some yummy ice cream. nom nom nom.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."

Postby tylersdad on Sun 3/May/09 10:04pm

The tarbabies were not 'that good'. towards the top as we hammered it back down we came round a corner and the tarbabies were about 4 wide, causing a black commododre to come over into the downhill lane, leaving 2 of us about 1m of space. riding in our lane at 50kph round a corner to be faced with a sudden 1.5m reduction was not good. hate to see what would have happened if we were actually a car???? kaboompha!!!!!

if any tarbabies were in that front bunch, yes that was me screaming at the car. it could have waited for you to consolidate to get past.

while it is a quiet road, i think people still need to obey the 2 abreast rule.

but yes, as nzmatto said, a great 75km ride, with a wonderful drift by me on the last bend of Grays Rd as my rear tire deflated.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby JohnDH on Mon 4/May/09 10:21am

Fantastic day for a ride yeasterday. I borrowed a mate's bike and rode from Naenae to Khandallah, joined the Tarbabies ride to Gloaming Hill in Titahi Bay, Greys Road, top of Paekakariki hill, then back through Tawa and J'ville to Khandallah. About 110 km all up.

Had the same experience as you nzmatto where I was coming down Pakakariki hill and came around a corner and there was a bunch (not Tarbabies!) racing up the hill. A couple of dicks were on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner. Surely they would have seen how many cyclists were descending. I was riding conservatively, it could have been a nasty combined speed of 80+ kph old school Butch James/Ma'a Nonu style tackle. Or if I was one of the Jeremy Clarkson wannabes who like to test their 'driving skill' over the hill road. 'Oh ho ho now this is a fantastic machine the cornering is superb' (bang! mows down riders on wrong side of road).

Agree about 2 abreast Tylersdad. The Tarbabies started off split into groups of about 12 or 15 according to speed, but there can be merging of groups from time to time where a bunch briefly forms before sorting itself out and going back to 2 abreast/single file. That Commodore driver was a dick, driving recklessly. But I'll pass your comment on to the ride organisers.
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby pm on Mon 4/May/09 10:39am

JohnDH wrote:Fantastic day for a ride yeasterday. I borrowed a mate's bike and rode from Naenae to Khandallah, joined the Tarbabies ride to Gloaming Hill in Titahi Bay, Greys Road, top of Paekakariki hill, then back through Tawa and J'ville to Khandallah. About 110 km all up.

Had the same experience as you nzmatto where I was coming down Pakakariki hill and came around a corner and there was a bunch (not Tarbabies!) racing up the hill. A couple of dicks were on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner. Surely they would have seen how many cyclists were descending. I was riding conservatively, it could have been a nasty combined speed of 80+ kph old school Butch James/Ma'a Nonu style tackle. Or if I was one of the Jeremy Clarkson wannabes who like to test their 'driving skill' over the hill road. 'Oh ho ho now this is a fantastic machine the cornering is superb' (bang! mows down riders on wrong side of road).

Agree about 2 abreast Tylersdad. The Tarbabies started off split into groups of about 12 or 15 according to speed, but there can be merging of groups from time to time where a bunch briefly forms before sorting itself out and going back to 2 abreast/single file. That Commodore driver was a dick, driving recklessly. But I'll pass your comment on to the ride organisers.

i was out with the 9am thorndon bunch doing haywards, paekak, haywards - probably 20-30 of us. we were heading up paekak as the tarbabies were coming down, certainly were a lot of them. that group tends to treat climbs as a race and you do get the occasional rider thinking that its an important enough race to cut corners up and down hills. i don't recall anyone being silly about it yesterday but wouldn't be entirely surprised...

great day for a ride anyway :) can't beat wellington on a good day, hopefully we'll keep on getting a few of them!
pm
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby JohnDH on Mon 4/May/09 10:59am

Agree, here's to more great days like that -- and there was definitely pain and intensity on faces in that 9am bunch :thumbsup:
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby tylersdad on Mon 4/May/09 10:07pm

cheers guys.

i could not believe how many people were cycling up there.

i can envisage if everyone departed from the top at the same time we would of had a real TDF peleton. would of certainly made a good photoshoot.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby jimmymic on Tue 5/May/09 6:31am

Back in the land of cycling and so just to make you wish you were here, maybe

Friday: 76k's, 1722m - cut short at 8pm when it started to get dark on me.

Road 30-04-2009, Elevation - Distance.png

Saturday: 118k's, 2862m - starts off with a 20k climb, followed by another 7 odd k's at 8.5% average.....

Imported 1-05-2009, Elevation - Distance.png

Monday: Rest day, 800m, 40k's

But, best thing is - Saturday is Giro time :-) Off to the TTT in Venice :-) Yippy yippy yay yay
jimmymic
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 5/May/09 7:47am

:) Up 4.15AM this morning.
Wheel, lights and mudguards back on SS etc and off.
Did 43km in the damp and some rain.
Thankfully it waited until I got home to rain heavily :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby nzmatto on Tue 5/May/09 12:36pm

so It seems like there were at least 3 groups all running bunch rides on the paekak rd on Sunday. Awesome! Twas seriously cool to be in the front one, descending whilst everyone else was still doing the hard work!!! This Saturday it's the Aka's for me.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 7/May/09 6:47pm

:) Up at 4.15AM for my 43kms ride around the block...but had a little 'trouble' with the steed at 16kms and limped home.
:hmmm: Bother!
I could've grabbed another bike and finished the journey but I wasn't in a mood to.
;) I crept into bed with my wife in all my cycling gear - ok, I took my shoes and helmet off...
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"

Postby OliverBendix on Fri 8/May/09 12:04pm

Took the day off for my birthday yesterday, and rode the Akatarawa loop. 110 km return from my place in just under 4 hours. Despite the sun shining, it was pretty cold descending into Waikanae - my toes didn't thaw out again till I was halfway up Paekak hill!
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Flynnster on Fri 8/May/09 11:19pm

OliverBendix wrote:Took the day off for my birthday yesterday, and rode the Akatarawa loop. 110 km return from my place in just under 4 hours. Despite the sun shining, it was pretty cold descending into Waikanae - my toes didn't thaw out again till I was halfway up Paekak hill!

Happy birthday 4 yesterday :thumbsup:
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts