Re: Your Photography

Postby TalkieT on Mon 16/Feb/09 1:00pm

Several things...

1) Radio slaves for Canon flashes...

Pocketwizards - Most reliable, great range, most expensive, MANUAL ONLY - you need to preset flash levels or play with many flashes to remotely set them from a handheld flash.

Radiopoppers - New, seems excellent, enables you to shoot ETTL still... Cons: requires a flash on the camera (or wireless flash transmitter) in ADDITION to the radiopopper sender unit. Not strictly available in NZ but that shouldn't be hard to work around.

Generic manual radio triggers... These vary in quality and price. I had a set of Gadget Infinity triggers (Often called Ebay triggers) and they worked ok but had bad range and awful build quality. I upgraded to Flashwaves. EXCELLENT build quality and about half the price of pocket wizards for similar functionality (but range not as good).

You can also use Canon's own multiple flash system but it requires a 550EX or 580EX on camera, and a similar (or 420/430ex) remote flash. Since it uses IR and visible light to work, you need line of sight between flashes and camera, and it can fail to work in bright sunlight.... BIG upside is that you can control everything from the camera and use ETTL.

2) 1.4x and 2.0x extenders

I bought 3 off brand 1.4x extenders for Canon (a sigma EX, then a Tamron and finally a Kenko Pro)... I used them all exactly ONCE before onselling them. They affected sharpness and focus accuracy noticably. However the chance of a 1.4x telephoto adaptor is too hard to resist so I finally gave in and bought the Canon 1.4x extender NEW (The ONLY bit of equipment I have bought new except a 50mm1.8 and the flash triggers!) with the intention of using it for one specific event and reselling it... However when I looked at the images I cannot tell which are taken with and without the extender so I had to keep it.

Sigma / Tamron etc make some very fine lenses (I have owned / own both and there are some gems) but for me, there is no good alternative to the Canon 1.4x extender.

I haven't owned a 2x extender but I know two Chch based photographers that have and use them (on everything from a 70-200 F2.8, through a 100-400L, to a 400 F2.8L, and they both love their 1.4x, and almost grudgingly mount the 2.0x when there's no other way to get the shot. The 2.0x is a big compromise and I'd rather crop to get the result.

Personally I use my Canon 1.4x on my 70-200 F2.8L (Non-IS) and my 300 F4L and I NEVER have any doubts or concerns about the results.

3) Flashes

The Canon 430EX and 580EX (either the original or II versions) are both great... If you think you might be using multiple flashes at some stage, try and get the 580 first.

However, IF you are only going to use flashes for interesting off camera stuff with a manual flash trigger (like PW), then scour trademe for a non-EX flash, or even a non Canon flash. You only need a flash that has a manual power output adjustment (like a Canon 540EZ)... They are giving them away on trademe and do all you need for remote flashing (which I use heaps on my MTB stuff)

4) Wide lenses

Depends on the body, but I think 10d was mentioned... Biggest regret I have in selling equipment was that I sold the Sigma 15-30EX I used on my 10d years ago. It was sharp, fast to focus and hilariously wide.

I not have a 16-35 F2.8L, but I never use it at F2.8, and for MTB stuff or any landscapes I'm usually at F5.6 - F11, so the 15-30 would be been fine.

If you can find a Sigma 15-30 for under about $700 (they come up occasionally), grab it before I do.

Other options are the Wide Canon L's (17-35, 16-35, 17-40 F4L) and for a 1.6 crop camera, the Canon 10-22 EFs is just stunning. I don't know about the other brand ultrawide zooms.

Anyway - there are some hints from me - feel free to ask anything else..

Cheers -- N
www.nzsnaps.com
TalkieT
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby woodsy on Mon 16/Feb/09 1:58pm

cauld wrote:Anyone had much experience with the Canon extenders?

Looking at either the 1.4 or 2x extender for my 70-200 f2.8 L

Would love some feeback particulary from someone who has tried both... currently leaning towards the longer option...


a couple of samples shot on a 1dmkIIn using 2x with 70-200 mm non is all hand held if mono pod or tripod had been used
sharpness would have been better. things that are close to the lens dont lose edge sharpness as bad

with your 5dmkII croping might be a better option but none of these have had any sharpening done
70-200mm 2x 1-2000sec f5.6 iso400 2-3 und crop-6660063-6660063.jpg
70-200mm 2x 1-2000sec f5.6 iso400 2-3 und-6660063-6660063.jpg
240mm (120x2) 1-640secf9 iso100-6662849warbirds-6662849.jpg
400mm 1-1250sec@f6.6 iso 400 70-200mm x2-6663106warbirds-6663106.jpg
400mm 1-1250sec@f6.6 iso 400 70-200mm x2 crop-6663106warbirds-6663106.jpg
370mm 1-320sec@f9 iso  70-200mm 2x-6662965warbirds-6662965.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 16/Feb/09 6:10pm

Went for a drive today :)
sutil channel 2.JPG
sutil channel.JPG
Bigfoot
User avatar
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby cauld on Mon 16/Feb/09 6:51pm

re: Radios and Wide Lenses

Rumours of a new Sigma 10-20 F2.8- probably a crop sensor lens though
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... enses-cr2/

Pocket Wizards have some new stuff out shortly
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... he-corner/
cauld
User avatar
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 16/Feb/09 8:54pm

cauld wrote:re: Radios and Wide Lenses

Rumours of a new Sigma 10-20 F2.8- probably a crop sensor lens though
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... enses-cr2/

Pocket Wizards have some new stuff out shortly
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... he-corner/



:0 Cool, I'll be interested to see pricing on both of them, sounds good!

Canon's EFs lenses would be nice but they don't fit the 10D :(
JohnnyC
User avatar
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby cauld on Mon 16/Feb/09 9:50pm

JohnnyC wrote:
cauld wrote:re: Radios and Wide Lenses

Rumours of a new Sigma 10-20 F2.8- probably a crop sensor lens though
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... enses-cr2/

Pocket Wizards have some new stuff out shortly
http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/02/new- ... he-corner/



:0 Cool, I'll be interested to see pricing on both of them, sounds good!

Canon's EFs lenses would be nice but they don't fit the 10D :(


Yea.. the Canon 10-22 lens is just fantastic.

I really want the Radio Poppers... but @ NZ$500 EACH end!!!! Youch!
cauld
User avatar
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby nzmatto on Thu 19/Feb/09 10:16pm

Hi all,
I was out doing a supervision job tonight, and took my Camera. Were at a park with absolutely nothing interesting happening, until I looked at the sun. Seriously cool, there was a ring the whole way around it!!! I don't know what causes it or what it is called, but here you go....
Sun Rings 001b.jpg
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby nzmatto on Thu 19/Feb/09 10:22pm

A few minutes later the clouds seemed to change a little and create another couple of reflections. I swear this is not from the lens, but is as I saw it! There's an eye in the sky watching you!!!
Sun Rings 012b.jpg
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby znomit on Thu 19/Feb/09 11:01pm

nzmatto wrote:A few minutes later the clouds seemed to change a little and create another couple of reflections. I swear this is not from the lens, but is as I saw it!

Good spotting
Its a sun dog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby nzmatto on Fri 20/Feb/09 6:32am

znomit wrote:
nzmatto wrote:A few minutes later the clouds seemed to change a little and create another couple of reflections. I swear this is not from the lens, but is as I saw it!

Good spotting
Its a sun dog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog


Sweet. Thanks! I thought it was pretty cool, didn't realize it was, but realized I was seeing something special.
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby woodsy on Fri 20/Feb/09 12:52pm

nzmatto wrote:Hi all,
I was out doing a supervision job tonight, and took my Camera. Were at a park with absolutely nothing interesting happening, until I looked at the sun. Seriously cool, there was a ring the whole way around it!!! I don't know what causes it or what it is called, but here you go....
Sun Rings 001b.jpg



it means the weathers bout to turn to shite (miousture high up moving ahead of a cold wet front)
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby nzmatto on Fri 20/Feb/09 12:58pm

woodsy wrote:
nzmatto wrote:Hi all,
I was out doing a supervision job tonight, and took my Camera. Were at a park with absolutely nothing interesting happening, until I looked at the sun. Seriously cool, there was a ring the whole way around it!!! I don't know what causes it or what it is called, but here you go....
Sun Rings 001b.jpg



it means the weathers bout to turn to shite (miousture high up moving ahead of a cold wet front)


..............and it was right!
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby woodsy on Sat 21/Feb/09 5:29pm

Fatal error: Call to undefined function vote_get_attachment_score() in /var/www/vhosts/vorb/includes/functions_content.php on line 854

hmm doesnt want to play
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby avantibill on Wed 25/Feb/09 8:51pm

Not the best picture, but I think the title is quite amusing
P1020188.jpg
Two Shags a Shaggin'
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Re: Your Photography

Postby crazychris on Thu 26/Feb/09 9:54am

Warning: photography can be a expensive hobby!
BMX Dudes
crazychris
User avatar
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

83 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 82 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle