Postby avantibill on Sun 4/Jan/09 7:59pm

XCrider wrote: Hey Guys

Nice photos, are most of these taking with a SLR cameras, reason being im looking at getting a SLR camera and i have never used one before. So just after some pointers on what makes them different from a normal digital camera and are they hard to figure out how to use. My current camera is just point and shoot but from what i understand a SLR camera is all manually focused and what not to get the best picture. Any brands to look for in particular.

Chuurs

My Panasonic FZ8 is NOT a DSLR but it has all the manual controls. (has auto as well) and 12X zoom. Main advantage of this is that it is relatively compact (compared to DSLRs) and has most of the functions of a DSLR without having to invest in telephoto and wide angle lenses.

The biggest drawback of my camera is the small size of the CCD, which means it is more prone to noise in low light conditions. Point and Shoot cameras can take amazing pics, but in an extreme conditions, their limitations show up.

My older Kodak P&S was handy as it was small enough to carry and take pics while riding my bike at the same time. It is not possible with my current camera.

I hope this helps you
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby TheRealHotKarl on Sun 4/Jan/09 8:01pm

My dSLR has an auto setting as well, it's just never used because Manual is better to get really nice colours etc.
TheRealHotKarl
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby radical_edward on Sun 4/Jan/09 8:25pm

If anything, point and shoots take BETTER snapshots on auto. My in laws have a new ixus, and it does perfect fill flash when a subject is back lit. If you want graat photos just by hitting a button, then a compact is for you.

If you want to make the jump to a higher level of photography then the light gathering ability and ease of control of a dSLR is a must.

But don't get too bogged down by features that a dSLR body may have. The dSLR body is relatively unimportant compared to the lenses at least as far as image quality is concerned. Over time, you will upgrade the body to get better features and control, but the glass you buy may be in your camera bag for 10 years or more.
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Sun 4/Jan/09 8:31pm

avantibill wrote:
XCrider wrote: Hey Guys

Nice photos, are most of these taking with a SLR cameras, reason being im looking at getting a SLR camera and i have never used one before. So just after some pointers on what makes them different from a normal digital camera and are they hard to figure out how to use. My current camera is just point and shoot but from what i understand a SLR camera is all manually focused and what not to get the best picture. Any brands to look for in particular.

Chuurs

My Panasonic FZ8 is NOT a DSLR but it has all the manual controls. (has auto as well) and 12X zoom. Main advantage of this is that it is relatively compact (compared to DSLRs) and has most of the functions of a DSLR without having to invest in telephoto and wide angle lenses.

The biggest drawback of my camera is the small size of the CCD, which means it is more prone to noise in low light conditions. Point and Shoot cameras can take amazing pics, but in an extreme conditions, their limitations show up.

My older Kodak P&S was handy as it was small enough to carry and take pics while riding my bike at the same time. It is not possible with my current camera.

I hope this helps you

Yeah the FZ8 looks pretty sweet! There is also the Canon powershot G10 and even the A590 Xcwife is using has manual controls I believe? A good point and shoot will be around 800 dollars and an entry level dSLR like a Canon 1000D is a bit over a grand. 90% of the time something like the Fz8 will take fantastic photos so unless you really want to invest in decent lenses etc. I tihnk the FZ8 actually has a a damn good range of zoom anyway

*Edit* I was thinking of the FZ28, is the FZ8 much different?
JohnnyC
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby woodsy on Mon 5/Jan/09 12:20pm

couple others
insect repellant-6664672.jpg
me and my shadow-6664794.jpg
wheres zippy bungl george-6665335.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 0 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 5/Jan/09 6:18pm

Great shot of the little birdy there Woodsy!!
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby avantibill on Mon 5/Jan/09 8:23pm

I like the silhouette of the tree Woodsy.

Here are some pics I took earlier today. These are taken within 2km from my place as the black backed gull flies (about 3km via mtn bike)
P1020042.jpg
Not Scotland, Highcliff
P1020044.jpg
Gull
P1020047.jpg
Gull & cliff
P1020048.jpg
waves crashing
P1020049.jpg
wider view
avantibill

Postby woodsy on Tue 6/Jan/09 12:09pm

and a couple more
-6664554.jpg
-6664576.jpg
-6664679.jpg
-6665454.jpg
woodsy

Postby jo on Tue 6/Jan/09 12:13pm

Love the little waxeye! :love:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby avantibill on Tue 6/Jan/09 12:18pm

Excellent pics there.

Last year I was at Nicol's Creek trying to take a pic of a wood pidgeon. Every time I got near it, I would aim my camera and pre focus (in auto P&S mode) and the damn thing would fly off to another tree. I must have chased it around for about 10 minutes and I still didn't manage to get a photo.
avantibill

Postby woodsy on Tue 6/Jan/09 1:20pm

avantibill wrote: Excellent pics there.

Last year I was at Nicol's Creek trying to take a pic of a wood pidgeon. Every time I got near it, I would aim my camera and pre focus (in auto P&S mode) and the damn thing would fly off to another tree. I must have chased it around for about 10 minutes and I still didn't manage to get a photo.

i was lucky that this year /last year there is heaps of food round so they werent to keen on flying to much very fat (the down side is there lots of food for stoats and rats)
fatty kfc-6664687.jpg
woodsy

Postby cauld on Wed 7/Jan/09 11:31am

cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 7/Jan/09 10:39pm

Nothing flash, just tickled my fancy. On the back of a VX220.

Mint.
M01A0731.JPG
Malcy
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 8/Jan/09 4:32am

Malcy wrote: Nothing flash, just tickled my fancy. On the back of a VX220.

Mint.

I gots one of them :thumbsup:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Re:

Postby XCwife on Fri 9/Jan/09 12:57pm

radical_edward wrote:If anything, point and shoots take BETTER snapshots on auto. My in laws have a new ixus, and it does perfect fill flash when a subject is back lit. If you want graat photos just by hitting a button, then a compact is for you.

If you want to make the jump to a higher level of photography then the light gathering ability and ease of control of a dSLR is a must.

But don't get too bogged down by features that a dSLR body may have. The dSLR body is relatively unimportant compared to the lenses at least as far as image quality is concerned. Over time, you will upgrade the body to get better features and control, but the glass you buy may be in your camera bag for 10 years or more.

The main advantage for me having a dSLR is to be able to vary the depth of field. I like to be able to take photos with a blurred background.
XCwife
"sunny side up"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts