Postby mfw on Tue 11/Nov/08 9:54pm

speedystu wrote: Just been out doing the Bergs in Chch. How steep is Glenstrae Rd? Anyone know what % it is? It is kucfing steep when riding up it! :)

It's 0.7km shorter than Mt Pleasant road to the point where they join, and there is a small descent in it too, so yep it's kucfing steep in places :D

Maffey's is on my todo list too, mate at work reckons it's unrideable and I keep meaning to prove him wrong :satan:

So is Maffey's the steepest around Chch? The online maps don't have enough resolution for profiles of these shortish sections...
mfw
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby znomit on Tue 11/Nov/08 10:42pm

Took the day off, thought I'd go out looking for women, gorgeous women
Tui.jpg
znomit
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Tue 11/Nov/08 10:44pm

But its a hard road finding the perfect woman
Baaaaaaaa.jpg
znomit

Postby znomit on Tue 11/Nov/08 11:02pm

Ok, probably my last big ride before taupo.
Bit of a last minute thing getting the day off so no carbo loading, though I did have an extra large kebab last night.
Took things nice and easy.

Headed over the pahiatua track, then half way back up it looking for a water bottle. The turns there are really rough.
Back down and south to Eketahuna for a pie.
Took the back road through to Pongaroa for a V then over the rather large hill(500m) and down through the Makuri Gorge. Got buzzed by a couple of airforce orions near the top of the hill. Scared the shit out of me.
Was planning on going back over the track but wanted to try the legs out over the saddle road. They did fine.

215km in just over 10hrs.
znomit

Postby RJM on Wed 12/Nov/08 7:16am

Couldn't afford to do the Source to Sea this year - anyone out there do it ?
RJM
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby chchbob on Wed 12/Nov/08 8:25am

RJM wrote: Couldn't afford to do the Source to Sea this year - anyone out there do it ?

Yep and it was an awesome event, cold start in the morning, but other than that perfect. Really great ride down through there. :D :D :D still silimng about it.
chchbob
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby chchbob on Wed 12/Nov/08 8:28am

znomit wrote: But its a hard road finding the perfect woman

They must use a hell of alot of make on those Tui girls for the TV looking at THAT picture ... :D
chchbob

Postby RJM on Wed 12/Nov/08 9:19am

chchbob wrote:
RJM wrote: Couldn't afford to do the Source to Sea this year - anyone out there do it ?

Yep and it was an awesome event, cold start in the morning, but other than that perfect. Really great ride down through there. :D :D :D still silimng about it.

Can't remember much about the conditions - I'm getting old - I'm riding down that way at Xmas to visit the wife's rellies in Greymouth.

Did you drive up to St Arnauds or ride up the Wairau Valley?

Also, what way did the wind take you ?
RJM

Postby chchbob on Wed 12/Nov/08 9:31am

Drove up the St Arnaud the day before, light tailwind throught to the gorge and then a bit of a light headwind in the lower gorge .... would be a nice ride to take it easy and enjoy the scenery..
chchbob

Postby RJM on Wed 12/Nov/08 9:37am

chchbob wrote: Drove up the St Arnaud the day before, light tailwind throught to the gorge and then a bit of a light headwind in the lower gorge .... would be a nice ride to take it easy and enjoy the scenery..

Cool - thanks for that, although I was also hoping you would say that you rode up the Valley and had a howling Northeasterly at your back - such is life.
RJM

Postby chchbob on Wed 12/Nov/08 9:51am

RJM wrote:
Cool - thanks for that, although I was also hoping you would say that you rode up the Valley and had a howling Northeasterly at your back - such is life.

I live in Canterbury ... nor-easterlies and I always just go head to head .... :satan:

But there was a fricken lot of snow around for November....
chchbob

Postby brispuss on Wed 12/Nov/08 3:50pm

Wanted to explore Akatarawa Rd a bit further today.

Removed GP4000 tyres from the bike as one tyre had a small cut which appeared to be almost right through the tyre. I didn't want to risk any problem with that tyre while riding.

Replaced GP4000's with Uktra Gatorskins.

While inflating rear tyre, its tube burst . . BANG . . @#$%^&*! A good way to wake up in the morning! I think the tube was pinched while installing it which made the pinch point(s) weak point(s).

Rode to beginning of Akatarawa Rd by Fergusson Dr. Felt lacking in energy due to lack of sleep/rest. Considered turning back home, but decided to ride on anyway.

Eventually stopped just past a small bridge past Karapoti Rd. Had a rest, ate some muesli bars and headed back home.

Around Silverstream area, I heard a thump . thump . thump . sound coming from the tyre(s). Thought I had a flat or picked up some debris. This time, the front tyre tube was just starting to come out between the tyre and wheel rim and causing a slight bulge in the tyre! :0 It appeared that I didn't seat the front tyre (and/or the tube) properly before inflation! :blush:

Both tyre and tube appeared to have no damage, so I reused them. This time taking extra care seating both tyre and tube. Got home with no other dramas.

Sore groin though! Probably because I rode with underpants under the riding shorts, which caused some chafing.

Slight southerly breeze which was good for cooling, but slowed the ride back home into the wind.

64 km.
brispuss

Postby Conners on Wed 12/Nov/08 4:02pm

:pmob: If the first tube went with a bang, I dare say that tyre wasn't seated either - you won't get a tube explosion if there's nowhere for the tube to expand (either through a cut/hole or around the bead).

Sounds lucky that you caught the second one in time!

Oh - and lose the underpants. Bike shorts aren't meant to be worn with 'em ;)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby danose on Wed 12/Nov/08 4:08pm

mfw wrote:Maffey's is on my todo list too, mate at work reckons it's unrideable and I keep meaning to prove him wrong :satan:

it's 100% ridable

I still reckon merewood ave is steeper - but of course it's shorter
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Tugboat on Wed 12/Nov/08 7:53pm

Primo evening for riding in Welly tonight (it's been a long time since I've said that) so rode home from work via Makara, Mt Crawford and Mt Victoria. Felt good although was never pushing it evidenced by the 12:20 cruise up Makara Hill - a time that won't be going in the hill climb thread!! :blush:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts