Postby ThingOne on Mon 15/Sep/08 9:45am

m-r-h wrote:
ThingOne wrote:
m-r-h wrote: Hooked up with a social bunch of riders on Sat am and rode two laps of Short Bays backwards.

Pretty munted on the second climb outa Govs Bay !

Noticed after 6 months back on the bike ( last rode in 1984 :crazy: B4 half you buggas even born :cool: ) my endurance is increasing fast but my climbing speed is still slow :hmmm:
Managed 19min SOK and 9:40 Evans 3 months ago and haven't really improved since ?

Any ideas on traing for some more climbing speed without blowing a sprocket in the process ? Started at 93Kg now down to 85Kg so was hoping that may have helped !

Hill Reps, find a hill that will take about 10 minutes to climb and start off doing sets of 2 and move up to doing sets of 4, concentrate on making sure the other sets are at the same intensisty as the first, ie dont blow up on your first take it slower so you can complete the other sets.
Do this for 2-3 times per week for 6 months, after this your 10 minute hill will be an 8 minute hill :)

Kool thnks for that,
How long between reps should I have for recovery ?
Should the recovery be some slow time on the flat then into the next rep ?

I normally have about 5 mins between reps, That can include the time down from the top. ( dont just freewheel down spin your legs on the descent as well.)
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby neels on Mon 15/Sep/08 10:37am

Neub wrote:
neels wrote: I think I need to get a roadie hemet, after having my cheap old mtb helmet trying to remove my head going down dyers pass. :D

Other roadies will think you're a mountain biker on a road bike and won't talk to you with a peak on your helmet :D

OK, so far I've been told I shouldn't buy a bike with a triple chainring or roadies won't talk to me, and if I've got a peak on my helmet roadies won't talk to me.

Any other obscure rules of roadie riding I should know about before I attempt to be sociable with the people that are passing me? ;)
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby ThingOne on Mon 15/Sep/08 10:42am

neels wrote:
Neub wrote:
neels wrote: I think I need to get a roadie hemet, after having my cheap old mtb helmet trying to remove my head going down dyers pass. :D

Other roadies will think you're a mountain biker on a road bike and won't talk to you with a peak on your helmet :D

OK, so far I've been told I shouldn't buy a bike with a triple chainring or roadies won't talk to me, and if I've got a peak on my helmet roadies won't talk to me.

Any other obscure rules of roadie riding I should know about before I attempt to be sociable with the people that are passing me? ;)

No camelbaks.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Mon 15/Sep/08 10:45am

Why would you want to talk to a roadie?
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 15/Sep/08 10:52am

No MTB shoes.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 15/Sep/08 10:56am

No fluoro either.

On that note, I'm gonna head out for a sifty recovery ride :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 19 years 6 months

Postby brockman on Mon 15/Sep/08 11:32am

No Baggies. Small saddle bag, with only enough room for Latte' money.
brockman
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Lozz on Mon 15/Sep/08 11:43am

rest day today yaaaaaay

485km last week :thumbsup:

goal for season: beat jono gee

plan of attack: feed him up on heaps of kfc
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 15/Sep/08 11:55am

brockman wrote: No Baggies. Small saddle bag, with only enough room for Latte' money.

Pffft to the saddle bag... if it doesn't fit in the pockets of your jersey (that match your bibs and helmet of course) it doesn't come on the ride.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby OnnoG on Mon 15/Sep/08 12:33pm

Lozz wrote: rest day today yaaaaaay

485km last week :thumbsup:

goal for season: beat jono gee

plan of attack: feed him up on heaps of kfc

Hmm kfc so good am I dead already :eh:

You don’t wanna beat me with you 485k weeks I’m just a nobody in the peloton like Bart Simpson. I think I know who you wanna beat in A grade will be good to watch when you back in chch, Ill give you the hell lead out :)

Not hard to kill me now bro I got nothing and riding timetable has been messed up I have to ride in the afternoon two days a week :crazy:
OnnoG
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Neub on Mon 15/Sep/08 1:20pm

Tugboat wrote:
brockman wrote: No Baggies. Small saddle bag, with only enough room for Latte' money.

Pffft to the saddle bag... if it doesn't fit in the pockets of your jersey (that match your bibs and helmet of course) it doesn't come on the ride.

Exactly... I feel the need for a new thread...."Saddle bags on road bikes"
I saw a roadie last week had the biggest saddle bag ever but that wasn't enough he had not one but two more saddle bags tied on!!! :crazy: I was going to take a photo to post on Vorb but it was looking like it would end in fisty cuffs after I laughted and pointed without realising he was drinking his coffee watching me :blush:
Neub

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 15/Sep/08 1:25pm

neels wrote:Any other obscure rules of roadie riding I should know about before I attempt to be sociable with the people that are passing me? ;)

those roadies who act holier than thou over obscure fashion slips like triple rings usually aren't worth listening to in the first place.

forget them and enjoy cycling. let your legs and lungs speak for you :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby danose on Mon 15/Sep/08 1:32pm

istepinyards wrote:I hope I get some fitness soon because its not fun riding a bike at the moment.

you need some evil old fart cracking the whip on you :satan:

remember the 'cruisy flat ride' we took you and slim on mid-winter :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby danose on Mon 15/Sep/08 1:36pm

psychavoc wrote: No fluoro either.

unless of course it's proper retro-team fluro (so my old Aki strip is ok, wheras a hi viz jacket is mega uncool)

actually I guess euskatel strip counts as fluro too - but it's definitely :cool:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Neub on Mon 15/Sep/08 2:05pm

:D
The_Big_Ass_Pack.jpg
Neub

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts