Postby Mr_GTR on Mon 28/Jul/08 7:45am

WH wrote: mr_gtr... 15secs! The second pic was a 30 sec exposure. It was pretty gloomy in that gulley, combined with the ND filter it was perfect for long exposures.

Wow, 15 & 30 seconds. Was that to get sufficient light? A mate of mine and I went out yesterday to get some pics and we got some goodies of some water, and I found even 205 seconds works well. I'll post em up when I get them sorted! This afternoon/evening most probably.
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Mr_GTR on Mon 28/Jul/08 7:45am

And that lightnind is sweet! I like how the whole sky is purple, albeit subtly.
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 28/Jul/08 4:00pm

Not my best, but I am bored... those were taken about 6 mins ago... :p
clouds small.jpg
rainbow 1 small.jpg
rainbow 2 small.jpg
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Mon 28/Jul/08 4:01pm

Love the middle one!
Oli
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 28/Jul/08 4:03pm

:music: do do doo lookin out my backdoor.

thanks oli!
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby WH on Mon 28/Jul/08 5:58pm

mr_gtr wrote:
WH wrote: mr_gtr... 15secs! The second pic was a 30 sec exposure. It was pretty gloomy in that gulley, combined with the ND filter it was perfect for long exposures.

Wow, 15 & 30 seconds. Was that to get sufficient light? A mate of mine and I went out yesterday to get some pics and we got some goodies of some water, and I found even 205 seconds works well. I'll post em up when I get them sorted! This afternoon/evening most probably.

For the first shot I used aperture priority and closed it up as much as possible, which worked out at about 2-3 sec exposures, which didn't give a smooth enough effect on the water for my liking, so I stuck an ND4 on and got exposures up to 10 secs but they were coming out a bit dark. I played around with exposure length until it looked bright enough, 15 secs was about right. There was a bit more tree cover for the second one so it needed a longer exposure.

Steve-O, awesome lightning shots! I see they're 4 sec exposures, were you just taking shot after shot and hoping for a lightning strike? I wish we had more lightning storms round here!
WH
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Mr_GTR on Mon 28/Jul/08 6:16pm

WH wrote:
mr_gtr wrote:

For the first shot I used aperture priority and closed it up as much as possible, which worked out at about 2-3 sec exposures, which didn't give a smooth enough effect on the water for my liking, so I stuck an ND4 on and got exposures up to 10 secs but they were coming out a bit dark. I played around with exposure length until it looked bright enough, 15 secs was about right. There was a bit more tree cover for the second one so it needed a longer exposure.

Steve-O, awesome lightning shots! I see they're 4 sec exposures, were you just taking shot after shot and hoping for a lightning strike? I wish we had more lightning storms round here!

Aaaah, Just spotted a mistake in my post: 205 seconds is meant to be 2-5 seconds.
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"

Postby Steve-O on Tue 29/Jul/08 1:16am

WH wrote:
mr_gtr wrote:

WH, thanks!

Yeah they are 4 second exposures. I started with random snapping although the storm would make a massive bright fork inside the clouds which always lead to a set of forks under the clouds, was 'semi' easy to read at times giving me the photos I got. I was suprised as the camera is only a fixed lens Fuji Finepix S9100...
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby woodsy on Tue 29/Jul/08 1:41pm

how to upset a big rottweiler

:D
bloody cat my bed not his.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby onyabike on Tue 29/Jul/08 2:01pm

this aint arty or anything.
but the manmade colour against natures background is interesting.
rw&b.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby VERT on Tue 29/Jul/08 2:52pm

Malcy wrote: Hey, while there's some geeky photo speak happening, I have a 400D, with a 70-300mm Ultrasonic lens. The normal kit lens that it comes with.

Seems that unless the light is primo, all my pics come out dark using that lens. Is it me, or is the lens to narrow to let the right light in?

Am a bit of a noob with photography.

This is going to sound harsh but the 70-300mm kit lens is a very crap lens, throw it in the bin and get something else

you can pick up a Canon 50mm F/1.8 on TM brand new for around $160, this is an excellent and very sharp lens
VERT
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:01pm

I agree with Pete, the 70-300 is highly average, I have one, and occasionally use it - through lack of choice.

I do recomend the 50 mm as well, I do not use it as much as I should, but it is a fine lens, and the cheapest camera upgrade you can get. It is also an interesting challenge using a fixed focal length lens, you makes you think a lot more about the shot.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby VERT on Tue 29/Jul/08 9:23pm

bought a point and click the other day :0

I bought an Olympus 1030SW to take with me on tramping trips, mountainbiking, Kayaking and Alpine stuff as the 10D is just too big

the 1030SW is also rated pretty well as shock proof, freeze proof and water proof. So I gave it a good thrashing in the crazy blizzard conditions we had Tramping up MT Ruapehu on Saturday. There were times when I had the camera out and it was totally encrusted in snow and ice but it still kept on working.

The Camera in no way compares to an SLR in image quality but seems to do an ok Job, here are a couple of picks from the weekend and a couple from this morning.

ps if you are wondering what we are doing in the 2nd pic we are building an igloo, 5th pic is inside the snow cave we built too
2705185615_d4855f7ee0.jpg
2706004564_b4bf0a2a44.jpg
2713529990_1d1af23992.jpg
2713530022_e5eb1461a4.jpg
2706005160_fa6b55bf6f.jpg
VERT
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Tue 29/Jul/08 9:30pm

Nice Pete - good to see that "it's not about the camera"...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 29/Jul/08 10:00pm

onyabike wrote: this aint arty or anything.
but the manmade colour against natures background is interesting.

Very nice :D

Felt a little wierd wearing that kit when EVERY one else was riding in hoodie and jeans, but hey I know how photographers love bright kit :thumbsup:
JohnnyC
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts