Postby woodsy on Fri 25/Jul/08 10:24pm

Malcy wrote: Hey, while there's some geeky photo speak happening, I have a 400D, with a 70-300mm Ultrasonic lens. The normal kit lens that it comes with.

Seems that unless the light is primo, all my pics come out dark using that lens. Is it me, or is the lens to narrow to let the right light in?

Am a bit of a noob with photography.

change iso speed ( higher ) or aperture wider or slow shutter and or use exposure compensastion

depending on what you are shooting

and heres a pic of trees across from where i live
i havent changed the sky it just happens i live near hockey grounds and some nights the
light reflects off fake grass and makes a cool green glow of clouds
green tree.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby Malcy on Sat 26/Jul/08 12:26am

I've tried both manual and auto modes.

If you see the pics of Warbirds I took in some other thread here.... you'll see what I mean.

But even taking action shots, for instance taking a pic of my mate at the Wgtn Marathon, it was just rubbish.
Malcy
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby Malcy on Sat 26/Jul/08 12:27am

I should add that it's sweet as with the little 18-25 lens.
Malcy
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Sat 26/Jul/08 12:35pm

Try setting rhe camera to iso 100 and f8 and take the same picture with both lenses as close to the same focal length as possible and see if there is any difference, record the speed of the image, it should be the same. if the focal length is close and the speed the same the image should be pretty similar.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby free_rider21 on Sat 26/Jul/08 12:57pm

What camera body is better out of a 10d and 350d?
free_rider21
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby PhilterNZ on Sat 26/Jul/08 1:59pm

Broadly speaking - and I am open to being corrected.

350d is newer with higher megapixels - though megapixels are not that important really. 350d is probably lighter to carry and faster to use.

The 10d was the better camera but an older model, but would probabyl last longer than the 350d.
PhilterNZ

Postby Mr_GTR on Sat 26/Jul/08 2:25pm

woodsy wrote:
Malcy wrote: Hey, while there's some geeky photo speak happening, I have a 400D, with a 70-300mm Ultrasonic lens. The normal kit lens that it comes with.

Seems that unless the light is primo, all my pics come out dark using that lens. Is it me, or is the lens to narrow to let the right light in?

Am a bit of a noob with photography.

change iso speed ( higher ) or aperture wider or slow shutter and or use exposure compensastion

depending on what you are shooting

and heres a pic of trees across from where i live
i havent changed the sky it just happens i live near hockey grounds and some nights the
light reflects off fake grass and makes a cool green glow of clouds

Thats preeeeeety sweet. :thumbsup:
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby WH on Sat 26/Jul/08 4:15pm

mr_gtr wrote: And waiting, wishing for some decent weather for some photo taking. Pity they aren't waterproof. But yeah, my camera doesnt take good photos sitting in a box in my room. Fingers crossed ...

Or ... Is there anything worthwhile practising on INdoors where it doesn't rain?

You can still go out in the rain... take advantage of the streams and rivers being full and get some water shots... I've just been out for an hour or two playing with my ND4 filter, got these shots which I'm quite pleased with :) I was waterproofed up to the eyeballs, and took a big umbrella to hold over the camera & tripod when it was out of its bag.
DSC_2182small.jpg
Kaiate Falls
DSC_2183small.jpg
Kaiate Falls
WH
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Sat 26/Jul/08 4:19pm

Nice Wh - where abouts aer these ? really like the first image.

it is so windy now I wont be going shooting until at least tomorrow.
PhilterNZ

Postby lubie on Sat 26/Jul/08 5:08pm

Hey Woodsy, that green tree is WICKED.
lubie
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby WH on Sat 26/Jul/08 7:05pm

Cheers PhilterNZ. They're shots of the lower end of the Kaiate Falls just outside Tauranga. I couldn't shoot the main falls as there was so much spray in the air, which is a shame because they looked awesome with the amount of water flowing over today. Luckily being down in the gulley at the bottom I didn't have much of a problem with the wind.
WH

Postby Mr_GTR on Sat 26/Jul/08 10:11pm

WH, loving the steps in the first one. What shutter speed is that? 1 or 2 seconds?
Mr_GTR
"Who, me?"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby WH on Sun 27/Jul/08 3:54am

mr_gtr... 15secs! The second pic was a 30 sec exposure. It was pretty gloomy in that gulley, combined with the ND filter it was perfect for long exposures.
WH

Lightning Storm

Postby Steve-O on Sun 27/Jul/08 11:26pm

Some pretty intense lightning just 20 mins ago over Tokyo. Got out the camera and snapped off some photos and got a few nice ones. Not the clearest but best I could manage...
dscf3796jn3.jpg
dscf3776hn9.jpg
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby dented on Mon 28/Jul/08 4:23am

Whoa! thats cool
dented
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts