Postby avantibill on Thu 10/Jul/08 6:32pm

That water shot is awesome! I have taken a few myself, but mine looks like crap compared to Phil's :thumbsup:
100_0427.jpg
Lindsay Creek, Bethunes Gully 2005
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby free_rider21 on Thu 10/Jul/08 6:57pm

Like the short depth of field
free_rider21
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Fri 11/Jul/08 5:14pm

Thanks :) - nothing wrong with yours AB .

being compared to Craig Potton is like being compared to Sam Hill !!! - thanks
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby tyred on Fri 11/Jul/08 5:30pm

AB, nice shot, DoF is sweet.

Hot tip for waterfall shots. Since you are opening up the lens for longer, and letting more light in(to get the blur), it can be easy to 'burn' or blow out the white water (as has happened in your pic).

I've found the best way to combat this is to take waterfall shots early in the morning, late in the day, or any time that light levels are naturally low.

I know a great photographer to takes all his water shots when it is almost dark, with a tripod and really long exposure. Works great:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphoto-/s ... 922439427/

and:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphoto-/s ... 922436739/
tyred
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Fri 11/Jul/08 7:42pm

Thanks Tyred - nice link

This guy is pretty good as well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael07/sets/72157601660336660/
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby avantibill on Fri 11/Jul/08 8:07pm

Thanks for the positive comments :) I had my camera mounted on a mini tripod, pic not of a waterfall but a close- up of water flowing over a rock in the creek. I guess the low angle perspective gives it a feel of a waterfall and a shallow DoF. Pic was taken in the afternoon (2sec exposure I think) luckily there was heaps of shade, so pic wasn't over exposed. My other pics of water shots were posted about 10 pages into this thread, was reasonably sunny, so it was slightly over exposed, but I thought it was worth posting. http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopic-74101-day ... c-150.html
Last edited by avantibill on Fri 11/Jul/08 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 11/Jul/08 8:16pm

NZsquigg wrote: Awesome pics vert, curses for only having a point and shoot camera :angry:

anyway heres a few of the semi decent pictures I have.

Also, what does ISO stand for? I want to take photography next year so I need to learn these things
For a point and shoot camera you seem to be doing fine.
90% of photography is having the eye for a good shot and the other 10% is the equipment.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 11/Jul/08 8:21pm

PhilterNZ wrote: Thanks :) - nothing wrong with yours AB .

being compared to Craig Potton is like being compared to Sam Hill !!! - thanks
I have a Craig Potton photo in my lounge :0
Phil I'd say yours would be just as good IMHO

With the amount of high quality photos in here a calander comp fundraiser would be great.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby avantibill on Fri 11/Jul/08 8:31pm

Datsane wrote:
NZsquigg wrote: Awesome pics vert, curses for only having a point and shoot camera :angry:

anyway heres a few of the semi decent pictures I have.

Also, what does ISO stand for? I want to take photography next year so I need to learn these things
For a point and shoot camera you seem to be doing fine.
90% of photography is having the eye for a good shot and the other 10% is the equipment.


Just had another look at the previous page, I agree with Datsane, you have the eye for the shot! ISO means International Standards Organisation (I think) basically the higher the number, the faster the film is; i.e. great for capturing action shots in low light. the big disadvantage of this, more "grain" on film cameras and more "noise" ( horrible speckles) on digital cameras
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby woodsy on Sat 12/Jul/08 12:52pm

tyred wrote: AB, nice shot, DoF is sweet.

Hot tip for waterfall shots. Since you are opening up the lens for longer, and letting more light in(to get the blur), it can be easy to 'burn' or blow out the white water (as has happened in your pic).

I've found the best way to combat this is to take waterfall shots early in the morning, late in the day, or any time that light levels are naturally low.

I know a great photographer to takes all his water shots when it is almost dark, with a tripod and really long exposure. Works great:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphoto-/s ... 922439427/

and:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphoto-/s ... 922436739/



or throw on a nd 8 filter

and anther good nz river andforest photographer is http://www.andrisapse.com/galleryview.p ... rs&image=8

(and excuse the blurry pic just to show what a nd 8 does in direct sunlight shame i didnt haul in tripod )
bc.jpg
woodsy
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Sat 12/Jul/08 2:56pm

Nice Woodsy.

I use an ND filter for my shots as well, I find the longer exposure and the ND filter just gives it that extra oomph, especially to the greens.

Nice bit of bush there as well.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby avantibill on Sat 12/Jul/08 5:13pm

You know, "60 seconds" will remove the moss from those rocks nicely :p


Great pic Woodsy :thumbsup:
avantibill
User avatar
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby WH on Sat 12/Jul/08 6:53pm

Awesome thread! Here are a few of my efforts...
_sunrise1.JPG
Sunrise from the 'burbs of Mt Maunganui.
_sunrise2.JPG
Sunrise from the 'burbs of Mt Maunganui.
_sunrise3.jpg
The Hertfordshire Alps (UK) at dawn.
_Tauranga_pano2.jpg
View from Matapihi on my commute home.
_Tauranga_pano.jpg
Tauranga & The Mount from the rail bridge.
_zanzibike.jpg
Singlespeeder on the beach on Zanzibar!
_St Pancras pano.jpg
The (now not-so-) new St Pancras International, London Village.
_Kilimanjaro.JPG
The view of Uhuru from the foot of Mawenzi, Kilimanjaro.
_bigbud.JPG
The big ol' Buddha, HK.
_moss.JPG
Some moss.
WH
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 13/Jul/08 11:24am

Whats an "ND" filter?

I like those shots of the mount WH :thumbsup:
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Steve-O on Sun 13/Jul/08 2:56pm

A little mix of this and that.

1. Metal Mulisha's newest recruit...

2. Drift car dwarfed by Fuji TV building in Tokyo...

3. Munchi's Ford Rally NZ 07...

4. Sebastien Pourcel, 2007 Japan MX World championships...

All pics shot off a Fuji Finepix
dscf2272nb0.jpg
Taka...
dscf2221ps6.jpg
dscf0376ah4.jpg
dscf4543me3.jpg
Steve-O
User avatar
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

120 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 118 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop

cron