Postby Beeker on Wed 23/Apr/08 12:21pm

Beautiful blue sky day in CHCH. I'm on the afternoon shift at the gym today, so instead of wasting my morning surfing Vorb, I decided to get amongst it. Did the City - Sumner - Cashmere - City loop just as a casual spin but still felt rubbish (on antibiotics which I don't think is helping - blastard STI Joel gave me....).

Very hairy moment through Redcliffs when I was sitting as far right in the bike lane as I could coming past all the parked cars when a dump truck decided to pass me sitting as far left as he could. Given that he centred up in his lane after passing me I suspect that he was playing silly buggers :hmmm:

Driver Mong observation of the morning: ever notice the number of drivers who stop at an intersection when they have a green arrow but then try to pull away when the straight through traffic gets the green & they get a red arrow? Saw that twice this morning. And I think it illustrates how mongish these people actually are... and how blind. I mean they do actually have to look at the traffic lights to see the solid red, but some how miss the nice bright hi-vis arrow next to it. Then you can measure their reaction time when the lights change & they attempt to go on the solid green, then realise there is actually an arrow & oh fuck it, it's gone red?? :eh: :blink: And we are bickering on Vorb about whether drivers will see us more in hi-vis vests when they can't even see pretty coloured lights that they look directly at. :huh:
Image014.jpg
On the way to Sumner, looking over the Estuary
Image016.jpg
Sumner Bay up on the Esplanade
Beeker
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby tricks121 on Wed 23/Apr/08 1:42pm

Sometimes I see pictures like that and I think gosh i'd love to give in Chch. Then I remember how much more I hate the cold and think winters ... no thanks!!1 ;)
tricks121

Postby rochie on Wed 23/Apr/08 3:18pm

It's obviously "National Skive off at Lunchtime for a Ride Day" here in Chch - went for a nice spin out to Tai Tapu (would have been nicer if I didn't have to do 2x10km reps!! Thanks coach!).

Lots of roadies out. Everybody waved. They must have liked my violent yellow jersey. No mongish motorists (they know they're on notice). All good. Bit of a Southerly tailwind home just topped it off nicely.
rochie
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 23/Apr/08 4:20pm

Around the bays, got inspired by beekers shots to take some of my own, but the phone camera is very average. :huh:
Scotty
Member for: 20 years 6 months

Postby dezalfittar on Wed 23/Apr/08 8:20pm

F@#k me it was cold going to work at 630 today :cry: .Then to see the sun come out and not being able to get out of work till 5 when its getting cold again,But still went for a guick blat down to Sumner :thumbsup:
dezalfittar

Postby Al_Bushman on Wed 23/Apr/08 8:31pm

Beeker wrote: Very hairy moment through Redcliffs when I was sitting as far right in the bike lane as I could coming past all the parked cars when a dump truck decided to pass me sitting as far left as he could. Given that he centred up in his lane after passing me I suspect that he was playing silly buggers :hmmm:

I've had a dumptruck do that to me on the same stretch of road and suspect it's the same guy. There can't be too many dumptrucks going there aye.

Good ride to Tai Tapu tonight with Neub and a couple of others. Good hard ride back with attacks going in at every opportunity :)
Al_Bushman
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Beeker on Wed 23/Apr/08 8:34pm

Life would change really fucking quickly if road bikes came fitted with sidewinder missiles as standard... I'd happily live with the weight penalty - after all, it isn't rotating weight. :blink:
Beeker

Postby m-r-h on Wed 23/Apr/08 10:09pm

Snuck outa work today at 3:30 so managed to have my first attempt at short bays in 24 years..

Pretty slow ride ( 1hr from btm Hackthorn to btm Evans) but enjoyed the ride in the sunshine :)
m-r-h
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 23/Apr/08 10:28pm

Thats not too shabby. When I get back to doing Bays I expect to be round the 1hr 5min mark.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 23/Apr/08 10:53pm

A lap around the bays tonight. Funny, testosterone, and blokes riding.

So I passed this dude, I was out for a chilled ride, two guys passed me, then the three of them took off at light speed!! So funny.....

I sat back and watched the two dudes smash the loner. Nice. :lol:
Malcy
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby Fergie on Thu 24/Apr/08 8:16am

YES I AM WORLD CHAMPION OFnothing!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Neub on Thu 24/Apr/08 12:03pm

Fergie wrote: YES I AM WORLD CHAMPION OFnothing!

I've got the world champion socks, they make me feel fast :thumbsup: Just need to avoid Hayden Godfrey :paranoid:
Neub
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 25/Apr/08 10:55am

Coolish day for my first ride in 4 weeks. By the time I got to Summner (13km) the legs were empty so stopped at Coffee Culture to fuel up. Fortuntely the Benchmark Homes team were doing the same so had a nice bunch to follow back into town.
Fergie

Postby Beeker on Fri 25/Apr/08 3:46pm

Rode the Old Tai Tap road with Mrs Beeker today in 30 sec blocks :alien: ... and got chicked on most of the efforts :blush: Oh well... all for a good cause.

Definitely a chilly day out. Largely uneventful until back in the city when some numpty did a mongtastic maneuver coming out of the South City carpark on Colombo st. By rights he should have made a compulsory left hand turn out of the carpark & the dirty big traffic island in front of him opposite Bike Biz should have prevented a right hand turn... except that this dickhead thought he would just turn right into our lane & drive on the wrong side of the road toward us :angry: Luckily for us, I could see this coming a mile off - you could see what he did - he looked left to see that nothing was coming that way, looked right - DIDN'T SEE ANY CARS & CLEARLY DIDN'T SEE (or want to see) ANY BIKES EITHER, and headed straight for us. By the time he passed us, my water bottle was already heading in his direction. Half full & thrown with enough force to put a nice dent in his drivers door :thumbsup: He got a hell of a fright when it hit. He obviously didn't even know we were there, despite the fact that we "take the lane" coming through that piece of road.

Righto, off to have a look in the mirror & check for bite marks in the neck in case I am truly invisible.

:eh:
Beeker

Postby m-r-h on Fri 25/Apr/08 10:02pm

Beeker wrote:By the time he passed us, my water bottle was already heading in his direction. Half full & thrown with enough force to put a nice dent in his drivers door :thumbsup: He got a hell of a fright when it hit. He obviously didn't even know we were there, despite the fact that we "take the lane" coming through that piece of road.

Righto, off to have a look in the mirror & check for bite marks in the neck in case I am truly invisible.

:eh:

Good shot :satan:

Had a go at Long Bays today, started and finished on the Causeway, grovelled around in 2:40.

Can't believe I didn't see a single bike until top of Evans outa Lytt !!!
Was hoping to get caught by a bunch or couple of riders to ease the headwind outa TT.
Gave something a tweak on last climb behind right knee, seems OK now but was worried coming outa sumner :crazy:
m-r-h
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts