Postby Beeker on Sat 25/Aug/07 6:12pm

Swapped ladies day to today as the legs are still trashed from Thursday in the gym (that will learn me to have a couple of weeks off!). City - Sumner - Heathcote - Cashmere - Coffee with ESG.com World Domination group - Home. No PB, but did finish first!! Planning an assault on Moncks Spur tomorrow.

Inflicted winter legs on the world today. Very bright!!
Beeker
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 25/Aug/07 6:42pm

Up Mt Pleasant first time on new bike. Had to lower saddle a tad and have shortened stem 10mm. Still creeping. Could measure my time up there with a calendar. Bike descends well.

Hope everyone got out in the sunshine.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby DirtDiva on Sat 25/Aug/07 6:46pm

Hackthorne - Dyers - Summit - Evans - round the water to Linwood Ave. What a mint day we had in Chch today.

Hey Ferg - that was me you sold the Vixen+ to today. :) Have just put two and two together about your vorb identity.
Summit Road.JPG
DirtDiva
"Yeah. I totally meant to do that."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Beeker on Sat 25/Aug/07 6:48pm

You never get sick of that road!
Beeker

Postby dhr001 on Sat 25/Aug/07 7:02pm

DirtDiva wrote: Hackthorne - Dyers - Summit - Evans - round the water to Linwood Ave. What a mint day we had in Chch today.

Hey Ferg - that was me you sold the Vixen+ to today. :) Have just put two and two together about your vorb identity.

Hey did I see you snapping that Kodak moment today?

I did Halswell downs, old Taitap rd - Mot-Gebbies- Bastrad-Summit-SOTK-Dyers - Gov Bay - man there was a thermocline going into gov bay where it dropped 10 degrees - then did Lyt-Evan mt Pleasant etc. What a cracker day!!!

Is the Amberly bunch on tomorrow does anybody know? Last time I went nobody turned up? It was only minus 2!
dhr001
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 25/Aug/07 7:47pm

It was actually Saskia but I'm told that from 100km away we look quite alike.

Enjoy your bike. Sure you will join the masses who pass me on the hills. Rode to Mt Pleasant Rd with Saskia, Tristan and Andrew and they all took off at the bottom.

Just dowloaded the file. 31mins up to the top, 9.4kph and 238 watts. Urrrgggghhhhhhh how the average has become more average.

Still okay on the flat. The guy in a SUV I followed down Evans went really slow on purpose so I sat on 50kph into Sumner following him.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby porschenut on Sat 25/Aug/07 8:05pm

Sorry bout that Fergie, I thought you were coming with us but obviously you wouldn't know where Saskia's house is. We ended up goig up mt unpleasant, down into sumner, up monks spur, down, and back up to Tristan and Saskia's place up Mt pleasant- then back home for me.

Was a cool ride, had gone riding with Mr Methven in the morning so ended up doing 90km today- can't wait for monday, out to port levy hopefully at a painful pace. Anyone who feels like it is welcome to come along. :)
porschenut
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 25/Aug/07 8:34pm

Monks Spur???

Dude, I was down to 6kph in places going up Mt Pleasant with a 36 x 27.
Fergie

Postby porschenut on Sat 25/Aug/07 9:03pm

Its steeper than i expected- last weekend I rode down it with Craig, in a reckless moment hit 80km/hr before the right hand bend.

The road up to Saskia's house is even steeper! I haven't ridden up it, but it would be hard. Might do that tomorrow.
porschenut
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby DirtDiva on Sat 25/Aug/07 10:58pm

dhr001 wrote: Hey did I see you snapping that Kodak moment today?
Possibly. Or you may have seen me texting my Mum... :p

Fergie wrote: It was actually Saskia but I'm told that from 100km away we look quite alike.
Heh. "You lot" was what I meant to say. My fingers don't always listen to my brain when I'm typing... :huh:

Fergie wrote:Enjoy your bike. Sure you will join the masses who pass me on the hills. Rode to Mt Pleasant Rd with Saskia, Tristan and Andrew and they all took off at the bottom.

Just dowloaded the file. 31mins up to the top, 9.4kph and 238 watts. Urrrgggghhhhhhh how the average has become more average.
Hey, I was just happy to get to Sign of the Kiwi in one go. I think I only managed 8.5-9.0km/hr on the steep bits, and that was only when I could bring myself to look. Average and damn proud of it. :D
DirtDiva
"Yeah. I totally meant to do that."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Ahad on Sat 25/Aug/07 11:09pm

Had a great ride today in the beautiful Canterbury sun shining on the Bay hills! Just rode to Lyttelton and back around the Bays-50k's of undulting hills in 1hr50( not quite my PB of 1hr35!). So stoked the old arse wil be completely healed in a couple of weeks though. Great to have the thighs burn on the last hill into Charteris Bay instead of the constant ache in the Gluteous Medius.
Had a hot shower and put ice on it just in case though when I got home, And got pissed to celebrate!
Definately be able to handle more than 1 2hr ride per week without 4days of inflamation. Yay!
PB in Armstrongs here I come!
Ahad
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Beeker on Sun 26/Aug/07 12:39pm

Opted out of hills today. Climbing legs are still in bed I think. Did City - Brighton - Sumner - City with a few intervals chucked in. Did a nice "flying kilo" down the causeway only to blow to bits in spectacular fashion in the ramp up into Redcliffs. Coffee & a muesli bar that had the density of the moon at CC Sumner, and I was feeling a bit more enthusiastic to hit the NW home.

There are so many riders (women in particular) that need coaching on gear selection. We passed heaps rolling a 53x14-11 into the head wind at barely 20kph.

And what is accepted as Vorber etiquette when you sit on? I get really annoyed at people who jump on the back for a free ride but never offer to pull a turn. As far as I am concerned, everyone is out to do their own ride & I would never think of gatecrashing them. What do others do? :eh:
Beeker

Postby bigjimsty on Sun 26/Aug/07 1:20pm

Beeker wrote:And what is accepted as Vorber etiquette when you sit on? I get really annoyed at people who jump on the back for a free ride but never offer to pull a turn. As far as I am concerned, everyone is out to do their own ride & I would never think of gatecrashing them. What do others do? :eh:

IMO it's just plain courtesy to try and do a few turns if you're gonna sit on someone's wheel! At least by getting front at least once you can acknowledge them and have a bit of a yarn, so yeah I always and try and do a bit of the work as to me that's only fair.
Little different if you're drafting a fast bugger, as I had a few days back! I jumped on someone's wheel and sat between 40-45kpg for about 5mins, but I didn't have the legs to a) get past him without blowing myself to pieces b) get past him and hold the speed he was going :( So although I could have made use of the free ride and sat behind him, I thought it better to fall off the back. You also don't know the frame of mind of the rider... he could have started to get pissed off, jammed his brakes on etc. Bugger that!
Know what you mean about the slow ladies using monster gears, they all seem to like frequenting the causeway on the day that you wanna rip it up at 50kph LOL :sly:
bigjimsty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby danose on Sun 26/Aug/07 1:28pm

bigjimsty wrote:
Beeker wrote:And what is accepted as Vorber etiquette when you sit on? I get really annoyed at people who jump on the back for a free ride but never offer to pull a turn. As far as I am concerned, everyone is out to do their own ride & I would never think of gatecrashing them. What do others do? :eh:

IMO it's just plain courtesy to try and do a few turns if you're gonna sit on someone's wheel!

no way - I don't mind if people want to sit in, but trying to follow the wheel of some random with unknown skills and predictability, nope, value my life too much for that

if you don't like them sitting in - drop em, don't whine if they don't do a turn (if you're that shit hot they shouldn't be catching/sitting in)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby danose on Sun 26/Aug/07 1:30pm

kiwi/gibraltar/gebbies/bays today - on top of yesterdays ride (kiwi/summit rd/evans/summit rd/kiwi) plus a quick blat on the mtb when yesterday arvo that makes for 8hrs riding and about 2000m of climbing for the weekend

now I need to work out if I've got enough left for another 1.5 hr thrash on the mtb this arvo
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts