Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 29/Nov/12 6:30pm

Boo!

Can always get enduro seals in that size if problem persists.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 29/Nov/12 8:32pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Boo!

Can always get enduro seals in that size if problem persists.

Its not the seal he's after, its the retainer clip that sits on top of the oil seal, but below the dust wiper
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 29/Nov/12 9:20pm

:blush:
oh ya, been a while since I opened one
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dbr18210 on Sun 2/Dec/12 4:19pm

I just bought an Anthem X 29er 3 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-nz/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.3/12446/58650/

I removed the crank (Shimano M552 24x32x42T) to replace it with an XT 2x10 crank and noticed that the sealed bearing on the drive side doesn't look like it is pressed in all the way. In the photo you can see a couple mm of black between the BB shell and the grey ring around the edge of the bearing. On the non-drive side the grey part sits flush with the BB shell.

Should I try and press the bearing the rest of the way in before installing the new crank or leave it as is?
Anthem 002.jpg
dbr18210
"I'm not crazy...My mother had me tested."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby el_booto on Tue 4/Dec/12 12:41pm

Mr_Bob wrote:Anyone got some spare 30mm marzocchi lower seal clips that fit between the oil seals?
the ones I had came out in 2 pieces :huh:

i have a set of what look to be 30mm ones
let me know if you're still after them
dbr18210 wrote:I just bought an Anthem X 29er 3 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-nz/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.3/12446/58650/

I removed the crank (Shimano M552 24x32x42T) to replace it with an XT 2x10 crank and noticed that the sealed bearing on the drive side doesn't look like it is pressed in all the way. In the photo you can see a couple mm of black between the BB shell and the grey ring around the edge of the bearing. On the non-drive side the grey part sits flush with the BB shell.

Should I try and press the bearing the rest of the way in before installing the new crank or leave it as is?

there should be a spacer between the cup and the frame on the drive side
i have had one made in the past by http://www.shockcraft.co.nz so he has the dimensions to make one for you :thumbsup:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Trail Bomber05 on Tue 4/Dec/12 7:59pm

Just curious to know if anyone has an informed opinion on which tire Company has the 'softest/stickiest' rubber compound??
I.E . . .
Has anyone swaped say, a kenda 'stick-e' to a maxxis 'super tacky' and noted a diff??

My tires are nearing replacement and I want to get something glue like :p
Last edited by Trail Bomber05 on Wed 5/Dec/12 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trail Bomber05
"Lycra is only ok IF you race . . ."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 4/Dec/12 8:14pm

Trail Bomber05 wrote:Just curious to know if anyone has an informed opinion on which tire Company has the 'softest/stickiest' rubber compound??
I.E . . .
Has anyone swaped a kenda 'stick-e' to a maxxis 'super tacky' and noted a diff per say??

There is a lot more that goes into making a tyre stick like shite to carpet than just the softest stickiest rubber sunshine! :rolleyes:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 20 years 3 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 4/Dec/12 8:36pm

The spelling is "per se", it means "in itself".

IDK but try a brand famous for wearing out fast and getting cuts. None of the Continentals I have come across qualify, though they stick remarkably well considering their toughness.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Tue 4/Dec/12 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 4/Dec/12 8:48pm

Percy Pig wrote:
Trail Bomber05 wrote:Just curious to know if anyone has an informed opinion on which tire Company has the 'softest/stickiest' rubber compound??
I.E . . .
Has anyone swaped a kenda 'stick-e' to a maxxis 'super tacky' and noted a diff per say??

There is a lot more that goes into making a tyre stick like shite to carpet than just the softest stickiest rubber sunshine! :rolleyes:

Interesting reading in the fresh dirt mag with Schwalbe suggesting that pattern plays a part but for the most effective grip that a multiple compound tyre (such as MaXXis 3C) gives the best results

I suspect thats were I will head this summer for teh DH bike (MaXXis 3C)

Providing the NZ agent has what I desire in stock (2.7 and 2.5 Minion front in 3C)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby Trail Bomber05 on Wed 5/Dec/12 4:44pm

Cheers Pushbike rider, will start there :) .

And Percy P, Care to share any of that info to help my narrow down my short list?
Trail Bomber05
"Lycra is only ok IF you race . . ."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby jacks0n0 on Sat 8/Dec/12 5:14pm

danose wrote:
Philthy wrote:If you're talking about braking a tandem then a drum brake is actually heaps better than disks. All the tandem guys I've talked with say that disc brakes get too hot and the fluid boils. Cable bisks may be ok but a rear drum brake along with V-brakes front and rear seems to be the preferred option.

sounds like crap to me - workmate had the drum cook out coming down porters on a tandem - not fun at all

If they did boil discs it was most likely water contaminated fluid

Something designed for heavy use (say a hope or saint 4 pot) with a decent sized rotor (bigger surface area = more cooling) and correctly bled with decent fluid won't cook (like do you see f1 cars NOT running hydraulic discs?)

We've a bit of experience with different hydraulic brakes on the tandem. On the old tandem with only 180mm rotors we used to boil the fluid quite frequently on Hayes 9 and Dietech Anchor brakes (despite bleeding with brand new fluid more than once a year). I got very good at recognizing the squishy feeling when it is right on the edge of boiling (simmering?). As it turns out, you have a few seconds (like 3 or 4) between when they first feel squishy and when your brakes fail completely. Even these brakes were fine on everything in the North Island (except for an incident where we were trying to use only one brake on the karapoti). We only had trouble on hills down south.

We upgraded those brakes to XT, with the same rotors. They never boiled but after about a year they were buggered. They would need to be bled every month or so, and would fail suddenly when the pads got to about 3/4 wear. I reckon that getting hot so often stuffed the seals.

On the current bike we have Saints (pre ice-tech) with a Hayes 224mm rotor on the front and a Shimano 204mm rotor on the back. They have worked fine for everything, although they have never been quite as good as new since we got them very hot on Bank's Peninsula (~700m steep gravel road with just enough corners to make you brake hard as soon as you're up to speed). They're absolutely fine on any real mountain biking where you can't just head straight down the hill at 70kph (Vic park, Mt Hutt, or QT bike park are all sweet).

We also have cable disks on the road tandem. They suck.
jacks0n0
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby ryda on Tue 11/Dec/12 2:51pm

Does anybody know if there is a conversion kit to turn a XTR (M965 - I think) QR rear hub into a 142mm thru-axle type?
or if a axle & cups out of a 988 will fit into it ?

Ta
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Tue 11/Dec/12 4:43pm

I don't believe so, Ryda. The whole bearing set-up is different. I am not 100% on this, however. Maybe 85%...
Oli
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Tue 11/Dec/12 5:02pm

Oli wrote:I don't believe so, Ryda. The whole bearing set-up is different. I am not 100% on this, however. Maybe 85%...

In my world, that's still an A+ bro!
sifter
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 11/Dec/12 5:13pm

Highly doubtful
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts