Your Top 10 Mtb Rides In Nz

Postby malcs on Sun 31/Jan/10 11:20am

Getting tired of reading about motorists and Hummers so thought I'd post my top 10 rides in NZ. Feel free to post your top ten and / or comment on mine.
10. White's Bay
10 whites.jpg
Emma at White's Bay

9. Browning Hut
09 browning.jpg
Colin on the way to Browning Hut

8. Croesus
08 croesus.jpg
Ben descending Croesus

7. Craigieburn
07 craigieburn.jpg
Emma at Craigieburn

6. Worsley's to Taylor's - Christchurch Port Hills
06 worsleys.jpg
Nick descending to Taylor's Mistake

5. Coppermine Saddle
05 coppermine.jpg
Graham on the way to Coppermine Saddle

4. Tuhoto Ariki - Rotorua
04 tuhoto ariki.jpg

3. Kirwan's
03 kirwans.jpg
Duane descending Kirwan's

2. Wakamarina
02 wakamarina.jpg
Mel on the Wakamarina

1. Peaking Ridge
01 peaking.jpg
Nick on Peaking Ridge

malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Top 10 Mtb Rides In Nz

Postby Tugboat on Sun 31/Jan/10 11:27am

South Island centric much? :eh:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby malcs on Sun 31/Jan/10 11:39am

Tugboat wrote:South Island centric much? :eh:

Yeah, I live in Chch so can't help it. I thought I could only really put in rides I have done!
malcs

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 31/Jan/10 3:14pm

Nice set of photos, I've only done the rotovagas one, always wanted to try peaking ridge, would definetly test me. And good idea to post a positive thread, as yet, no one is ranting. :hmmm:
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Colin on Sun 31/Jan/10 8:51pm

Rata Ridge

Wakamarina

McKerrow Ridge

A day on the shuttles at Rotovegas

Dunn Mountain - Dew Lakes

Boobies - Three Sisters

Peaking Ridge

Croesus

Dopey Bull

That single track jungle ride I haven't done yet
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Sun 31/Jan/10 8:56pm

Nice, this is why I joined Vorb - thanks for cool pics, looking forward to the Worsley one some weekend soon.
Did a bit in Akaroa in the weekend, but went roading and did Akaroa to Onuku & back on the Coiler with 2.35's + tarmac = Speights when I got back

Cool
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Sun 31/Jan/10 9:00pm

I haven't done any of malcs' rides... :cry: (except maybe #6...)
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby edoubled on Sun 31/Jan/10 9:16pm

There are so many still on the to-do list (like most of the Sth Island...) that I couldn't do a definitive ten, however from those I've done:

Tuhoto Ariki - that is my favourite Vegas trail! So different to all the rest with its roots and bogs and sloppy jungly goodness. And so quiet, being way up at the top of the forest where most punters don't dare venture. Love it :thumbsup:

Boobies/Three Sisters - only got chance to do them the once (cheers Colin :thumbsup:) but hell, that's some primo kiwi jungle riding right there.

The grand loop at Makara Peak - you tend to take it for granted when you live there and ride all the time, but can you remember the first time you did it? Awesome!

42 Traverse - that first descent has to be some of the most grin-inducing downhill I've ever done. Make sure you leave a gap in front so you can get your flow on :D

Queen Charlotte Walkway - 75kms. All singletrack. What more needs to be said?
edoubled
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby inzane on Sun 31/Jan/10 9:17pm

My favourites. Very South Island centric as well, because the South Island has the sort of riding that I really like!!

Nydia Bay
Croesus
Wakamarina
Craigieburn/Hamilton/Cass
Kirwans
Mt Oxford
Mt Thomas
Hacket/Browning

Lots of photos and write-up on my blog http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby malcs on Sun 31/Jan/10 10:18pm

Colin wrote:Rata Ridge
McKerrow Ridge
Boobies - Three Sisters
Dopey Bull

Colin you have done heaps of riding I haven't even heard of! Where are the above? More to add to the "to do" list...
malcs

Postby malcs on Sun 31/Jan/10 10:24pm

edoubled wrote:The grand loop at Makara Peak - you tend to take it for granted when you live there and ride all the time, but can you remember the first time you did it? Awesome!

42 Traverse - that first descent has to be some of the most grin-inducing downhill I've ever done. Make sure you leave a gap in front so you can get your flow on :D

Queen Charlotte Walkway - 75kms. All singletrack. What more needs to be said?

I'd love to ride Makara Peak sometime... I wonder if I can sneak my bike on the plane for our up coming weekend in Wellington and leave my family with my parents ;)

I've only done the 42 Traverse once 10 years ago and it was amazing. My memory is too foggy for it to surface for the above top 10! Like to try it again - or other exploring in that area

Going to spend Easter (plus a few days) at Te Mahia so hope to get Queen Charlotte and Nydia Bay done then... could be a reshuffle of my top 10!?
malcs

Postby Colin on Sun 31/Jan/10 10:34pm

malcs wrote:
Colin wrote:Rata Ridge
McKerrow Ridge
Boobies - Three Sisters
Dopey Bull

Colin you have done heaps of riding I haven't even heard of! Where are the above? More to add to the "to do" list...

All Welli

Rata Ridge also known as Mt Lowry. On the hills on the western side of Wellington harbour and dropping down into Wainuiomata

McKerrow Ridge is further west. Climb out the western side of Wainuiomata and drop down to the Catchpool entrance to the Rimutaka Forest Park. Not normally open to bikes but been lucky enough to ride it a couple of times with DOC approval.

Boobies, Three Sisters and Dopey Bull are all jungle rides in the Akatarawa. Not really hidden but need to be shown where they are.

Give me a yell if you are wanting to ride Welli sometime.

You all have lots of riding down south that is on my to do list. And my do again list. Been managing a couple of riding trips south each of the last few years. Hope to get back before the end of summer.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby malcs on Sun 31/Jan/10 10:41pm

zephyrheaven wrote:Nice, this is why I joined Vorb - thanks for cool pics, looking forward to the Worsley one some weekend soon.
Did a bit in Akaroa in the weekend, but went roading and did Akaroa to Onuku & back on the Coiler with 2.35's + tarmac = Speights when I got back

Cool

OK you deserve a Speights for dragging a Coiler to Onuku and back! I haven't found any good mountainbiking in Akaroa, which is a real shame considering the altitude available and the landscape. I did the "Mt Fitzgerald - Double Fenceline" ride described in Kennet Bros once which was good fun, would like to try it in the opposite direction. Is there anything else good / legal out Akaroa way? I think I could easily live in Akaroa if some of the potential out there was utilized. Of course if you lived out there you may be able to get on side with a local landowner... maybe...?
malcs

Postby pedalhed on Sun 31/Jan/10 10:45pm

Great Post !!!
This is the sort of thing I like to read on Vorb
pedalhed
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby kaiteri on Sun 31/Jan/10 11:11pm

Very nice pics.
Of the 7/10 I've done, absolutely no argument from me. Can I include the Canaan Loop, Rameka and Great Expectations combined as one primo ride that provides just about everything you could want in a Top o' the South ride..?
The 42nd Traverse on a crisp dry day lingers well in my memory.
And soon Barron Flat will be legal!
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts