Re: Top 10 Mtb Rides In Nz

Postby phunk on Tue 16/Mar/10 12:51pm

Woodhill is only good for a sifty ride when riverhead is too wet. I havnt been out there for two years...
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 16/Mar/10 7:20pm

I did a sifty lap of peaking ridge last thursday and it was awesome. Dry, clear and possibly in the best condition I've ever seen it. But on the weekend I rode a trail that shall not be named in a national park in the tasman district that was even better...
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Thu 21/Apr/11 6:28pm

Colin wrote:Rata Ridge

Wakamarina

McKerrow Ridge

A day on the shuttles at Rotovegas

Dunn Mountain - Dew Lakes

Boobies - Three Sisters

Peaking Ridge

Croesus

Dopey Bull

That single track jungle ride I haven't done yet

#1 - rode that 2 or 3 weeks ago
#6 - rode Three sisters with Ho Chi Mihn rather than Boobies last week-end
#3 - did that again today
#4 - expect to that over Easter
#7 - good chance I'll be able to ride that in about two weeks

Some good riding going down right now.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Your Top 10 Mtb Rides In Nz

Postby Sparrow on Wed 29/Feb/12 10:55am

Looking for guidance as to the best MTB descent off McKerrow ridge heading South.
Is it down the McKerrow ridge or the Clay Ridge track that ducks off to the right back to Catchpool.
Also does one start at Sunny Grove off Hine St Wainui on the Whakanui track or is there an alternative route in via 4WD that some people talk about.
I checked Tracks.org but it does not mention any 4WD access nor make suggestions as to the best MTB route.Plan is to do it tonight before the rain whilst its dry. :cool:
Sparrow

Postby jo on Wed 29/Feb/12 11:04am

Crikey.
From memory thats not bike friendly at all, or permitted.
jo
"Windy"

Postby UZUMATI on Wed 29/Feb/12 11:20am

McKerrow Advice - Running shoes - you may enjoy it that way - the climb up from Sunny Grove is a little steep...a light might be useful, you maybe some time packing a bike...
UZUMATI
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 29/Feb/12 12:09pm

swtchbckr wrote:10 in no particular order...
craigieburn
wharfdale
b rude not to, billy t, gunna gotta, etc etc etc ie, rotorua
makara
porthills chch - fav's marleys, greenwood, castlerock
nelson surrounds, eg peaking
wakamarina
whites bay
wanaka forest
whirinaki

in particular - ANY benched native bush singletrack.

I would now add to this, (because i've done them since previous post...)
Croesus
Brittania
And add Involution to Nelson surrounds
Rameka plus Project
add Packhorse to port hills trails
and the BLOWHARD - it rulez
and parts of Kirwans.

But that makes more than 10... :( :blush:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Colin on Wed 29/Feb/12 6:50pm

Sparrow wrote:Looking for guidance as to the best MTB descent off McKerrow ridge heading South.
Is it down the McKerrow ridge or the Clay Ridge track that ducks off to the right back to Catchpool.
Also does one start at Sunny Grove off Hine St Wainui on the Whakanui track or is there an alternative route in via 4WD that some people talk about.
I checked Tracks.org but it does not mention any 4WD access nor make suggestions as to the best MTB route.Plan is to do it tonight before the rain whilst its dry. :cool:

Not an approved bike track. Someone in a the know has always got permission from ?Doc? the couple of times I've ridden it.

And that has only been granted on a non week-end or public holiday to avoid conflict with 'normal' users.

Yeah, somewhere around Hine Street from memory. And out to Catchpool. Lots of pushing and carrying up. And some of the down too.
Colin

Postby Sparrow on Thu 1/Mar/12 9:22am

For the record it took just about 4 hrs of which 2.5hrs was pushing or carrying.
DOC permission was sought.It was a mid-week evening.
The descent down Clay ridge was steep in parts but pretty dry which was essential for riding.
There was no road in. Just started at end of Hine St... rode as much uphill as we could but its too sustained to continue for long.
As for top 10 rating ...it simply does not compare with Peaking Ridge which is 90% rideable beech ridge and no bogs. This has bogs ,reeds ,trees down... in short jungle riding for those that like it tough.
One of our party cleaned the downhill under lights even though parts were steeper than any track in Welly area.
The Top Ten is a great idea but we need categories otherwise its meaningless.
The bush on this is outstanding. It's mainly not benched techo root riding on a ridge, but not flowing and access is tough.
Sparrow

Postby onyabike on Thu 1/Mar/12 2:59pm

onyabike wrote:Croesus Track.
Browning.
Peaking Ridge.
Kil Devil.
Wakamarina.
Hot X Buns.
Kanerie Water race.
Mount Greenland.
Penzance/Elaine Bay loop.

Just adding Mount Starveal - at the expense of...ummm...Greenland.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Thu 1/Mar/12 4:09pm

Starveal is good, but a bit of a mission to get to the top!

I must go back and ride it again. It was pissing down last time.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 1/Mar/12 4:38pm

Trail wrote:Starveal is good, but a bit of a mission to get to the top!

I must go back and ride it again. It was pissing down last time.

they heli dropped it... much easier to get up
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby trancemaster on Mon 8/Apr/13 10:40am

Pureora 85 makes the top 10,
its not hardcore - but sweet, long, tram downhill grade, flowing, all abilities, virgin forest, & history - all bump it right up
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby sanspareil on Mon 8/Apr/13 11:25am

The very underused lakes Block circuit in Eastern Harbour (Welly) Regional Park. You can do around 40k of gut busting climbs, awesome descents, good formed track and with scenery to die for. :D
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Sparrow on Mon 8/Apr/13 12:29pm

In Nelson area I will back 629 and Peaking Ridge for the top 10 but don't think Mt Starveall cuts it . It is an interesting 4-5 hr epic ( I think presently with access blocked via the forest but probably ok by Heli) but the exit via forestry road wastes what could be a good descent in beech forest.

An interesting one in Welly is Makara Saddle to Titahi Bay. Takes about 5.5 hrs.After summiting Mt Kau Kau you head to the Old Coach Rd, pass the pony outfit on the Makara Rd then go via Spicers forest to Colonial Knob then down to Elsdon and bush wack behind Porirua till you hit the sewerage farm and work your way via tracks on the coast just South of Titahi Bay to Titahi Bay.
The hardest to find is a connection in the tracks backing into Porirua housing.If you get bush wacked you just bust out to a street and keep heading West till you see a waste area with a few car wrecks on your left then head into that and it leads to a track that heads up to the sewer farm overlooking the coast.
Sparrow

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts