Re: Top 10 Mtb Rides In Nz

Postby Oli on Thu 11/Feb/10 8:11pm

All of it? :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Thu 11/Feb/10 8:28pm

Oli wrote:All of it? :crazy:

Yeh, it is so good that people are still out there enjoying it and making comments like "happy as a bug in custard" :lol:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby NZBound on Fri 12/Feb/10 4:35pm

Mine would have to be -

Mt Lowry (wicked)
Belmont Trig (either detour down the shingle shot (epic) or original route)
491/Spoonhill
Little Red Riding Huck (i think) in Vegas
K-loop
Napier Tracks, dont remember names but had a great time.

All North Island and most Welly.
NZBound
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Focker on Fri 12/Feb/10 9:16pm

K-gorge + Mt K + dubbo 96
Tuhotu Ariki /Vegas
Whirinaki
Eskdale
Sticky forest Wanaka
Wharfdale
Naseby
QCW
Craters
Mt Te Aroha/Kaimais
Te Miro
Riverhead (when dry as Stylie has mentioned)
Whangamata

Crikey I can't count....bit more than 10.
Focker
"Watching you watching me..."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby malcs on Sat 13/Feb/10 6:37pm

Ok I have analyzed the rides mentioned so far, and the number of times mentioned and here is my conclusion:

#9 - Four way split:
- Tuhoto Ariki
- 42 Traverse
- Craigieburn
- Makara / Deliverance

#5 - Four way split
- Boobies / 3 Sisters
- Rata Ridge / Mt Lowry
- Wakamarina
- White's Bay

#3 - Tie
- Croesus
- Queen Charlotte

#2 - Rotorua Redwoods

#1 - Peaking Ridge
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby trancemaster on Mon 15/Mar/10 10:14am

just did Moerangi clockwise 72km loop, rates the best in NZ for scenery, best for remote back country through about 4 mtn ranges , VG challenge trail. best with 3 hut & 3 camp options. Beats all in the S Is sorry, cheers DOC.
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Mar/10 10:22am

trancemaster wrote:just did Moerangi clockwise 72km loop, rates the best in NZ for scenery, best for remote back country through about 4 mtn ranges , VG challenge trail. best with 3 hut & 3 camp options. Beats all in the S Is sorry, cheers DOC.

I know others in the Sth Island that beat that for
remote back country
mountains
huts and camp options

They may not be currently stamped as "Mountain bike rides" by DOC tho :sly:
Trail

Postby richardg on Mon 15/Mar/10 12:43pm

I've ridden a fair bit of the Moerangi loop over the years, and from what I've heard since DOC "upgraded it" there is now lots of parts that make you cry when you see the mint old track has been bypassed by the digger which upgraded it to make it suitable for mtb use. That said I haven't been there myself, though I have seen similar things elsewhere. (Wakamarina and Whites bay) I think I should vote, just becuase although Peaking ridge is good I can't let it be counted as the best. In terms of influence on me. Kinda lost for 8,9 there but nevermind

1 Riverhead in the wet - thats my home, where I started biking, which means they are always the best tracks.
2 Rad to the power of sick - Its changed the way I ride
3 Queen Charlotte - Made me see that I'd completly missed the point of biking after many years of racing it was the positive straw that broke the camels back.
4 Riverhead in the dry - always a treat. Had my annualish ride there yesterday, Tjebbe is the man, new tracks of the classic riverhead style = wide not particularly steep, with motobike rut berms everywhere. More fun than you can shake a stick at
5 Te Iringa - the kaimanawa hike a bike, mint, so fun, and there is more. Had to name the Boy after it
6 Nydia bay the uphill from Tennyson is the best uphill ever, and its part of a mint ride. Named the girl after it.
7 Wakamarina - too good not to write that in
10? ok this is maybe a -10,000 or something- Dunedin national XC course in 97 or 98, at a pony club, absolutely terrible, the day after an incredible DH they had a XC race at a pony club. That was the negitive straw that told me no way, the lark racing is nonsence, as if the splitting expert into pro elite and expert and stupid age groups didn't enough to prove it.
richardg
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby snr_merv on Mon 15/Mar/10 12:57pm

Hmmmm.... Reading this list I am very close to not going to my lectures and just going riding this afternoon...
snr_merv
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Mon 15/Mar/10 12:59pm

snr_merv wrote:Hmmmm.... Reading this list I am very close to not going to my lectures and just going riding this afternoon...

Fark, if I had that option I would be out riding my bike!!

In fact when I was at Uni, I frequently took that option!!
Trail

Postby malcs on Mon 15/Mar/10 8:35pm

What a bombshell from richardg!

Not only does he take time to slag off Moerangi - now ranked 9th equal in the top ten - but he votes for Riverhead twice!

Nice to see Te Iringa and Nydia Bay getting another vote each, quite a lack of mention of those two considering how good they are reported to be. I think due to a lack of people having actually ridden them, including me. Also so far a lack of rides from the deep south and also from Auckland area being mentioned. Most seem to be Northern South Island or Wellington area.
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby tiffiney1 on Tue 16/Mar/10 10:20am

snr_merv wrote:Hmmmm.... Reading this list I am very close to not going to my lectures and just going riding this afternoon...

Agreed!

Some of my favourite rides in no special order:
- Hunua (South Auckland) - the tracks here are hidden gems. Better than Woodhill in my opinion.
- Craigieburn Ranges
- Rameka
- 42nd Traverse

Rode at Oropi Grove in Tauranga on the weekend - not a top 10'er but pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tracks.
tiffiney1
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby herbman on Tue 16/Mar/10 11:26am

can't say that i have a top ten because there are far to many trails out there and so many factors can change how much fun the trail is.

but here are some of my favs
the local stuff:
Wave rock, EP to Dr strange love and zanes to shit track, three of my locals. ranging from super fun to super tech.

the old man range, 1500m of vert to ride down

out of towners:

craigieburn, could ride the luge all day.

remeka, a nice relaxing ride with lots of great places for eats at the end.

flying nun, one of the best man mande tracks i ridden

and the more i think about this the less i plan on working today and the more i plan i riding this afternoon. :cool:
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby edoubled on Tue 16/Mar/10 12:15pm

malcs wrote:Also so far a lack of rides from the deep south and also from Auckland area being mentioned

tiffiney1 wrote:Hunua (South Auckland) - the tracks here are hidden gems. Better than Woodhill in my opinion.

Having lived in AKL for a year and a half now I still struggle to understand the popularity of Woodhill. #1 sand in my chain - arghh!!, #2 you have to pay to ride, #3 there are no decent hills and #4 you spend most of your time riding in circles without actually going very far. Maybe the organised nature of the place (well signed, well groomed trails, coffee shop etc.) appeals to a wider demographic. Maybe it's the structures that appeal as they are pretty unique. (I was there on Saturday and for the first time spent some time sessioning some of them which was good fun) I guess Woodhill just feels a bit artificial to me, which is why I prefer the likes of Hunua and Whitford with their roots and rocks and decent-sized hills.

There is good riding to be had here, and there is something for all tastes and abilities, but would I personally rate any of them in a NZ top-ten list? Unfortunately, I don't think so.
edoubled
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts