Postby sifter on Wed 2/Sep/09 11:20am

Yikes!

They're not pedalling :0
sifter
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Yikebike

Postby Tinkerbell on Wed 2/Sep/09 11:21am

:lol:

they both look like they've got something holding them in place like Mr Garison :lol:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 2/Sep/09 11:37am

Tinkerbell wrote::lol:

they both look like they've got something holding them in place like Mr Garison :lol:

\
judging by their uncomfortable smiles i would agree
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby gregw207 on Wed 2/Sep/09 12:12pm

gregw207
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 2/Sep/09 2:08pm

Tinkerbell wrote::lol:

:lol:

Awesome South park reference. :love:
Scotty
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 2/Sep/09 4:54pm

so its an electric "bike" that you cant pedal when the battery is flat, that requires you to adopt a very strange and unnatural (and it looks like difficult to balance) sitting position, its made of CF so implies expensive, and only capable of riding on smooth asphalt?

and the wheels look anything but quick release: i.e. when you get a puncture you're stuffed. unless the tyres are CF or filled with mousse* or something.

Its almost as cool as a segway.

and segways are not cool.

I would like to take one for a thrash but will not be an early adopter its fair to say.

*chocolate is my favourite
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby Colin on Wed 2/Sep/09 5:14pm

Injected plastic rather than CF. But still an indicative price of three and a half pound aint cheap.

There is a video in the gallery section of the launch party. Shows what appear to be a bunch of randoms jumping on for a spin around a warehouse (smooth floor). Doesn't look that hard to master the balance thing. I would wonder about stability in the wind.

8 kilometre range seems handy. 20kph.

Interesting. Wont be getting my $ but I'd happily take one for a fang.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby MattV on Wed 2/Sep/09 5:36pm

I'd love to see what happens when they come to an abrupt halt :butbut:
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Moke on Wed 2/Sep/09 5:39pm

I can assure you that at least the main frame and front wheel "guards/covers" are made from 100% aero-space grade carbon fibre pre-preg. That is because I made them. Didn't make the rest so can't say what they are but they should also be CRP.

It is an interesting concept. I think it would be will be better suited for European and American cities than New Zealand, where there is a mass transport system into the city and then you ride the Yikebike to your office. Hence the price in euro not NZ$ and launching in Germany not Chch.
Moke

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 2/Sep/09 6:55pm

Moke wrote:I can assure you that at least the main frame and front wheel "guards/covers" are made from 100% aero-space grade carbon fibre pre-preg. That is because I made them. Didn't make the rest so can't say what they are but they should also be CRP.

It is an interesting concept. I think it would be will be better suited for European and American cities than New Zealand, where there is a mass transport system into the city and then you ride the Yikebike to your office. Hence the price in euro not NZ$ and launching in Germany not Chch.

have you taken one for a spin?

and blimey
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby bigJIMMY on Wed 2/Sep/09 7:08pm

MattV wrote:I'd love to see what happens when they come to an abrupt halt :butbut:

2nd.

i want a car to pull out infront of them and see them stop in a hurry
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby iodi on Wed 2/Sep/09 7:21pm

TV3 News did a segment on them tonight. Estimated cost of $7000 severely limits the potential target market. Also looked quite unstable, with plenty of potential for a face plant if the front wheel hit a bump.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 2/Sep/09 7:28pm

Just what the Doctor ordered in an obesity crisis.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Moke on Wed 2/Sep/09 7:53pm

@Henry Dorset Case

No, no ride. Up until today I'd never seen one together, didn't even know how the parts fitted together. We are based in Auckland and they are in Christchurch.
Moke

Cycling | Post Your Bike | Road Cycling - Latest Posts