Postby jeremyb on Thu 10/Jun/04 9:26am

This'd wet your bed if you just bought Xandros! From /. today...

http://www.xandros.com/products/home/de ... intro.html
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:15pm

jeremyb wrote:I would have to disagree with AgrAde, linux will only work on crappy machine if you don't install gnome or kde, but without those it is a little pointless on the desktop, both my linux boxes at home have no X on them at all, it's shell access only and they rock, but it's not exactly suitable for beginners.

Last distro I installed was Redhat 9, gnome ran slow as shit on my pc, PIII 600 w/256Mb, whereas XP runs rockingly fast, I couldn't get apps to do half the stuff I wanted to do and found that nothing compared to the apps I normally use on windows.... plus my soundcard wouldn't work...

I have a Knoppix live cd if I wanna play with linux on the desktop or show people it, can't see myself switching completely ever again, I just get frustrated and go back to windows.

maybe the newer versions are slower, i havn't had any experience with them. i installed redhat 7.3 with KDE on an old 133 with 32mb of ram and 4mb video card, 2gb hdd etc and it ran beautifully. browsing folders/interwebby/panels etc was just as snappy as my 1ghz thunderbird with win2k. some progs were somewhat slower but for most things the machine ran great. did my word processing and internet browsing on it for a time because i preferred it over my main rig.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby jeremyb on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:18pm

Yep, the newer versions are quite resource hungry, you need real grunt to run the new versions of Gnome & KDE.
jeremyb

Postby AgrAde on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:21pm

can you turn off virtually all the interface features like you could with my RH 7.3, making it not too shabby?

sucks, i was wanting to get redhat 9 or something similar for an older machine.
AgrAde

Postby jeremyb on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:22pm

Just install the older versions :)
jeremyb

Postby Clarky on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:23pm

wachtourak wrote:
Oh, and:

<rant>

Clarkster do you ever say anything remotely to do with or ever contribute to the threads you post in?

Stop being such a tard.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets pissed off when they open a serious thread and see your pointless bullshit spread throughout.

</rant>

Sorry wachy :(

No more tarding. Please feel free to ignore the posts though. ;)
Clarky
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Clarky on Thu 10/Jun/04 12:37pm

I do put some relevant posts up though....

http://www.vorb.org.nz/postp187988.html#187988

http://www.vorb.org.nz/postp187914.html#187914

...if it helps your blood pressure. ;)
Clarky
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 10/Jun/04 6:18pm

jeremyb wrote:This'd wet your bed if you just bought Xandros! From /. today...

http://www.xandros.com/products/home/de ... intro.html

The free release doesn't include the windows compatibility. So the free version wouldn't do any more for me than a standard linux distribution. :sly:
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby jeremyb on Thu 10/Jun/04 6:20pm

Phew!

I always get pissy when things go on sale just after you buy them etc..
jeremyb

Postby Clarky_Jnr on Thu 10/Jun/04 6:29pm

Clarkster wrote:
wachtourak wrote:
Oh, and:

<rant>

Clarkster do you ever say anything remotely to do with or ever contribute to the threads you post in?

Stop being such a tard.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets pissed off when they open a serious thread and see your pointless bullshit spread throughout.

</rant>

Sorry wachy :(

No more tarding. Please feel free to ignore the posts though. ;)

Haha, LMFAO. Watchy, isnt vorb all about posting pointless bullshit throughout! Whenever I check up on vorb all I see in the last 6 active posts is pointless bullshit! It is amusing to see that a whore like yourself is complaining about it when it is clearly obvious that you are more interested in increasing the number of your own posts than posting something worthwhile.
Clarky_Jnr
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 10/Jun/04 8:11pm

jeremyb wrote:Just install the older versions :)

how do todays linux disros compare to say the rh 7.3 that i used in ease of setup, ease of use, n00b learning curve etc?

i have only dabbled with the rh 7.3 for a short while and still need instructions to do a lot of things past the routine.
AgrAde

Postby Vinnie on Thu 10/Jun/04 9:45pm

AgrAde wrote:

how do todays linux disros compare to say the rh 7.3 that i used in ease of setup, ease of use, n00b learning curve etc?

i have only dabbled with the rh 7.3 for a short while and still need instructions to do a lot of things past the routine.

Seriously, check out Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org).

The emerge system for installing apps is fan-diddle*-tastic, takes all the hassle out and most stuff works straight away with little pissing around. The forums on the website are full of really helpful users and the whole system is free. The setup instructions (particularly the Gentoo Handbook) step you through everything as you go along which is great, and you get a good feel for the OS as you have to do some building yourself. If you are a n00b then do a Stage 3 Install and follow the directions exactly as in the handbook and the install works.

You can also choose how much you want to optimize the system for your comp. If you're not going to run Gnome or KDE or one and not the other then you can turn off compile support for the programs for when you use emerge which allows you to compile stuff faster.

You can also choose to use pre-compiled packages (just like a Mandrake install) or compile stuff yourself from scratch (KDE takes about 2 days on a 950Mhz machine with the OS running in a Virtual Machine in windows, so probably around a day and a little bit for a 950Mhz normally).

I :love: Gentoo

*I said diddle :paranoid:
Vinnie
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby jeremyb on Fri 11/Jun/04 8:33am

'Linux is getting fat', posted on /. today

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7324
jeremyb

Postby AgrAde on Fri 11/Jun/04 6:37pm

Vinnie wrote:
AgrAde wrote:

...fan-diddle*-tastic...

you have convinced me to try gentoo. i will download it as soon as i get my 40gb hard drive. i was going to use my old 20 for backup purposes but now i know it's destiny :blush:
AgrAde

Sifting - Latest Posts