Wtb: Winter Sleeping Bag

Postby AgrAde on Sat 18/Jun/16 9:37pm

This might be a long shot. Want a down bag that's still cozy at -5C, not too heavy, good loft. I'm 5'11" so ideally would be a standard length mummy bag. Budget is 300ish.

Cheers!
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Wtb: Winter Sleeping Bag

Postby Sims on Wed 22/Jun/16 9:51am

[unrequested advice] Check out the exped bags from bivouac.co.nz - They're pretty nice and reasonably priced. I always think you're better off getting bag slightly warmer than what you think. You can always put on more clothes if you're cold, but steaming hot sleeping bag isn't very fun - And it won't get used.

My favourite bag is a macpac 500g fill ultralight bag. Packs down tiny - great for huts. Probably wouldn't use in a tent in winter - But you certainly wouldn't die. Its size is such that you'd toss it in your pack as a survival tool/backup. [/unrequested advice]
Sims
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 22/Jun/16 6:06pm

Advice appreciated. Unfortunately my heat output is next to nothing at night. I have two summer bags with a 5C "comfort limit" rating and at 5C I'll have one inside the other with a silk liner, on my high R sleeping pad, with the bags pulled tight around my face, with my wooly socks and long thermals at the ready for when I wake up at 3AM freezing my nuts off :(

Having the summer bag(s) means that I don't have to worry about getting something that'll also work in the warmer months.

I do like the idea of a bit of a safety factor with a winter bag without having to rely on extra clothing that could be wet/frozen/torn/lost - I'd rather unzip on the warm nights and use it like a quilt and have the knowledge that if I get into a shitty situation then my sleeping bag will be a bro and I'll be able to get warm. Not that I'd go out in the middle of winter and purposely lose everything but my sleeping bag and then fall in a river, but, you never know.
AgrAde

Postby phantasim on Wed 22/Jun/16 8:25pm

This? Only threefiddy if you're a club member..

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7SL ... eeping-bag
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 22/Jun/16 9:49pm

I can get a Deuter -10C at a similar price so I'll probably go for that if nothing else shows up. Thanks though. They've had that one on special for $249 before which is actually a pretty good deal.

Hanging out for something with higher loft and better water resistance/treated down, the Deuter and Torpeno aren't perfect in those respects.
AgrAde

Postby AgrAde on Sun 26/Jun/16 11:35am

Bump. Deuter out of stock :(
AgrAde

Postby AgrAde on Mon 27/Jun/16 4:18pm

Ended up with a dirty dirty macpac. Couldn't resist the bright orange of the epic series. Only weighs a bit over a kilo so I can pack more thermals for when I find out that it's not as warm as it says it is :blush:
AgrAde

Classifieds - Latest Posts