Postby Waatz on Sun 15/Jan/06 4:42pm

Yeah it's a sport
Waatz
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 15/Jan/06 10:10pm

Beat him to death :D
Theres alot of other sports that arn't sporting, but are still called sports. Chess is one :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby 3N16M4 on Sun 15/Jan/06 10:31pm

Motorsport is soo a sport. Hence the "sport" part of "motorsport". It's both physically and mentally demanding. F1 drivers have a heart rate somewhere in the region of 160-180bpm throughout the race if i'm not wrong. plus, they have to think fast, react to the reaction of the car on the road on the limit, and then, they have to watch out for other cars. Plus, they get kicked around int he car alot. race tracks might look smooth but they're far from it. imagine the bruises you get from indoor karts and multiply the forces by two (or more) and the speed factor by about 6 (assuming the karts can do 50kph). Definitely a sport.
3N16M4
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby propster on Sun 15/Jan/06 10:33pm

3N16M4 wrote:Motorsport is soo a sport. Hence the "sport" part of "motorsport". It's both physically and mentally demanding. F1 drivers have a heart rate somewhere in the region of 160-180bpm throughout the race if i'm not wrong. plus, they have to think fast, react to the reaction of the car on the road on the limit, and then, they have to watch out for other cars. Plus, they get kicked around int he car alot. race tracks might look smooth but they're far from it. imagine the bruises you get from indoor karts and multiply the forces by two (or more) and the speed factor by about 6 (assuming the karts can do 50kph). Definitely a sport.

fittipaldi himself said with regards to an f1 race in brazil he lost 5KG during the race because it was so hot and demanding during the race.
propster
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 16/Jan/06 12:57am

It's a little sad that Marko Martin has called it a day. He is a God to the Estonians. When I mean god it is in the scale of Jesus driving a Rally Car and beating the Finns who are their neighbours at a sport they dominate.
Hard decision but mentally more baggage than just a crash by yourself or taking out a stranger I suppose.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Mon 16/Jan/06 7:05am

Steve-O wrote:I have a question for all you racing buff out there, some stupid fool was trying to tell me the other day the "motorsport" is not a "sport". What do you all think? Should I be bashing this fool across the head with a cake mixing machine or does he have a point? In my opinion motorsport is 100% a sport, training, mental planning and strategies are used, drivers are pushed to extremes both mentally and physically(in cyprus rally it hit 48 celsius inside the rallycars).

What are your opinions?

In New Zealand, all motor sprot is now classified as 'sport' and eligable for sports foundation funding (as of 2003-4 I think :eh: ). As well as those Helberg thingies. I mean, if yachting is a sport . . . . . why not car racing :)

AND it has nothing to do with fitness required or heart rates etc etc, I mean FFS, THINK about it. If it was about those sorts of things ballet would be a sport, and so would chess :lol:
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby Steve-O on Mon 16/Jan/06 9:12am

Glad to see im not the only one who would beat him!
I think its more the physical training, demands that are put on the driver outside the car and the work that is done inside the car to finish up with the end result.
The WRC driver usually go for a run in the morning, physio @ about 10am. They then have a hour of mental training, strategy and tactician training. Observing footage of other driver and their lines. Eating balanced meals and if they are with the team then there is actual training inside the rally car.

This was one of Tommi Makinen's days where he is preparing for a WRC event, as i read in a Speedsport magazine.
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 16/Jan/06 8:01pm

thorg wrote:So would chess :lol:
It already is :cry: It even has ESPN backing in the States :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Steve-O on Mon 16/Jan/06 11:41pm

Thats sick! who the hell would want to see that crap!!!!!
Steve-O

Postby Dazzle on Tue 17/Jan/06 1:43am

Steve-O wrote:I have a question for all you racing buff out there, some stupid fool was trying to tell me the other day the "motorsport" is not a "sport". What do you all think? Should I be bashing this fool across the head with a cake mixing machine or does he have a point? In my opinion motorsport is 100% a sport, training, mental planning and strategies are used, drivers are pushed to extremes both mentally and physically(in cyprus rally it hit 48 celsius inside the rallycars).

What are your opinions?

You just described my previous job, which also carried a high risk of death. Does that make it a sport?

thorg wrote:AND it has nothing to do with fitness required or heart rates etc etc, I mean FFS, THINK about it. If it was about those sorts of things ballet would be a sport, and so would chess :lol:
Ballroom dancing and gymnastics are Olypmic 'sports'. It those cases its a degree of physcial ability but a high degree of discipline, concentration and 'artistic interpretation'.

To resume one of my regular rants. Anything where you have to smile should be removed from the olympics.

On a particularly bad mood day I would advocate all team sports and anything with judges should be removed from the olympics. Make it purely about beating the other people in your field, person to person.
Dazzle
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Steve-O on Tue 17/Jan/06 9:26am

I like your thinking! and its not about winning or loosing its about how much blood you leave on the pitch! :sly: :satan:
Steve-O

Postby Fraser on Mon 23/Jan/06 8:54am

Monte Carlo had a few thrills & spills, there is a cold snap in Europe at the moment. So the Rally of Sweden should be fun. By cold they mean -47.2 deg C in Lapland yes MINUS FORTY TWO!!!! Lower down in Scandinavia in the cities its a balmy :cool: -20deg C Hi and a overnight low of -32deg C. My Mrs isn't to keen on going to Sweden for the Rally. Spectating has been ruled out. I have been in -15deg C and that was difficult. My eye lids and nostrils freezing shut as I was breathing. :eh: Another 20 degrees must focus the mind.
Fraser

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 23/Jan/06 9:08am

thats not too bad... they only close schools in northern bc when its -37... friends of mine often used to say it was windchill of over -80 :p

-15 is lovely weather! nice and brisk, dont even need much of a jacket!

over -20 starts getting too nippy.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 23/Jan/06 9:50am

Spare a thought for the mechanics though.

Punters just stand around fires and drink beer. It's surprising how cold you can sift in.
Fraser

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 23/Jan/06 10:00am

Dazzle wrote:

What are your opinions?

You just described my previous job, which also carried a high risk of death. Does that make it a sport?

But you were a professional cyclist dazzle
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts