Re: Wrc Rally In Trouble For 2006

Postby XCgeek on Mon 9/Jan/06 4:48pm

Malcy wrote:
Dougal wrote:Bring back Group B I say.

Amen.

Audi, Lancia, Big Testicles, it's all good!

Not if you want numbers competing. Better off with something like super 1600
XCgeek
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Steve-O on Tue 10/Jan/06 7:14pm

Super 1600 is a bit boring in many aspects of rallying, all front wheel drive = minimal slide which goes against the herritage of rallying. Group B was popular as manufacturers were not restricted by anything except imagination, there was more interest from companies at that time, now that the rules are incredibly tight the amount of manufacturers who can participate with a base road car is limited.

After watching the WRC cars, even seeing group N was incredibly boring.
Steve-O
"Only the Finns go truly sideways..."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 10/Jan/06 10:16pm

Steve-O wrote:Super 1600 is a bit boring in many aspects of rallying, all front wheel drive = minimal slide which goes against the herritage of rallying. Group B was popular as manufacturers were not restricted by anything except imagination, there was more interest from companies at that time, now that the rules are incredibly tight the amount of manufacturers who can participate with a base road car is limited.

After watching the WRC cars, even seeing group N was incredibly boring.
The super 1600 doesn't go against the herritage of rallying. The idea is to get around the corner as fast as possible while carring as much speed as you can, all the while being kindish to your tyres. Its harder than you think buddy.

Group B was dropped for the reason that it was getting to dangerous. And they wont bring it in now because of the expense of the Group and People wont be able to relate to the cars they drive ;)
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Steve-O on Tue 10/Jan/06 10:24pm

Group B wasnt canned because it was getting too dangerous, 3 drivers within the WRC championship were killed, Jean Ragnotti first, Ari Vatanen almost died, and then the death of Henri Toivonen in a Lancia delta S4 was what canned group B.
Burned to death in France after puncturing te fuel tanks as he rolled down a hillside.

Look back to where rallying originated, Finland is the birthplace of rally. Why do all the scandinavians drive tail happy, they invented the "scandinavian flick" how WRC cars used to set up for corners. Take a look back through history of rallying, everything was done with a large slide and heaps of opposite lock. Thats why Ari vatanen signed a photo for me with the comment "Rally drivers do it sideways". tyre preserving is a issue on certain rallies, although when you are only running 2 special stages, sometimes 3 in between service, its not usually an issue, longer distance take a harder compound tyre without comprimising too much grip resulting in loss of time.

I know they wont bring back group B, although im sure if you have seen rally NZ you will admit that put group N up against even privateer WRC cars and the WRC cars make group N look like pedal carts. Very Boring
Steve-O

Postby Datsane on Tue 10/Jan/06 10:37pm

Steve-O wrote:Group B wasnt canned because it was getting too dangerous, 3 drivers within the WRC championship were killed, Jean Ragnotti first, Ari Vatanen almost died, and then the death of Henri Toivonen in a Lancia delta S4 was what canned group B.
Burned to death in France after puncturing te fuel tanks as he rolled down a hillside.
Umm that sounds dangerous to me :eh: and you forgot the people watching that also got killed which I think was more the reason for canning it.

Steve-O wrote:Look back to where rallying originated, Finland is the birthplace of rally. Why do all the scandinavians drive tail happy, they invented the "scandinavian flick" how WRC cars used to set up for corners. Take a look back through history of rallying, everything was done with a large slide and heaps of opposite lock. Thats why Ari vatanen signed a photo for me with the comment "Rally drivers do it sideways". tyre preserving is a issue on certain rallies, although when you are only running 2 special stages, sometimes 3 in between service, its not usually an issue, longer distance take a harder compound tyre without comprimising too much grip resulting in loss of time.
Because its the fast way around a corner on gravel. Because your carrying more speed though the corner.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Steve-O on Tue 10/Jan/06 10:45pm

Group B was dangerous from the first time the cars were debuted. The spectators were getting hurt because they were morons, standing in middle of road and moving a second or 2 before the car arrived. It was their own fault if they got hit, shouldnt be standing in places where there is a possibility of a car going off. The Peugeot 205t16 rally cars of the group B era were flared at the back cheese grater styled air intakes, when they arrived back in service the mechanics would often flick fingers out of the air intakes as people would have competitions to try and touch the car as it went past, often resulted in loss of fingers in the air intakes, Pretty gross.

Technically sliding tail happy isnt the fastest way around a corner, but the scandinavians love it, sliding scrubs off speed, as does being airborne, faster to not leave the ground - Phil Mills, Petter Solberg's co-driver said so on Shakedown Finland.
Steve-O

Postby Datsane on Tue 10/Jan/06 10:55pm

Umm I give up
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby 3N16M4 on Sat 14/Jan/06 11:33pm

Fraser wrote:This is a Rally Cross car I like an Audi 2,3l 20v turbo, 730hp/740Nm 6 speed sq 4x4 , those are 10/18'' rims which the guy is selling it with 3 sets of wheels/tyres for 70k Euros.

I know the question you want to know could you fit a bike rack to it? :satan:

Uh, I have a video about that car (granted, it's in swedish or something so, i don't understand it) but what i gather from it is, it's not a rally cross car. not with the minimal ground clearnace and full slicks. and it was hauling around a tarmac track during testing, not dirt.

Group B was canned because of driver deaths. Audi and Ford pulled out of racing in '87 i think because there was no crowd control.

WRC cars nowadays are just as fast as the group B cars of back in the day thanks to technological improvements but if we brought back a group b style class of rallying, you could have 2 litre turbo engines pumping out 1000 Hp+ (the cars then were virtually unrestricted). Don't believe me? 80's F1 cars were biturbo V6's displacing 1.5 litres and pushing 900 hp on race trim. :crazy:
3N16M4
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby mullbags on Sun 15/Jan/06 3:46am

Mybe Media has something to do with it, nobody in North America really cares about rally apart from a few die hards and know what real offroad racing is about. More Media sponsorship more incentive for the european guys to race cuase, clearly Aus and NZ don't want to spend any money on getting involved.
mullbags
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Waatz on Sun 15/Jan/06 7:52am

Ive kinda been waiting for WRC to kick the bucket, every year a team or two seems to take a breather for development, Mitsi took a break about 3 or 4 years ago to develop, they finaly come back with a semi worx team and ther are off again. PS (ive sat in a Mitsi WRC reccy car and it was so very sexual)

The rally is great fun to watch but it's not real motorracing, its more like a whole bunch of time trials, I like seeing cars nudging each other trying to get around a corner. Bring on the V8 Supercar season! Woot Woot
Waatz
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 15/Jan/06 10:32am

Waatz wrote:The rally is great fun to watch but it's not real motorracing, its more like a whole bunch of time trials, I like seeing cars nudging each other trying to get around a corner. Bring on the V8 Supercar season! Woot Woot
Thats liike saying that stockcars arn't real motorsport or Targa for that matter :crazy:

I love all the form of motorsport some are just more boring then others. Hopefully I get to go watch the Rally this year :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Waatz on Sun 15/Jan/06 11:33am

Datsane wrote:
Waatz wrote:The rally is great fun to watch but it's not real motorracing, its more like a whole bunch of time trials, I like seeing cars nudging each other trying to get around a corner. Bring on the V8 Supercar season! Woot Woot
Thats liike saying that stockcars arn't real motorsport or Targa for that matter :crazy:

I love all the form of motorsport some are just more boring then others. Hopefully I get to go watch the Rally this year :thumbsup:

when I said "real" motorracing, I was meaning it like this, Evander "the real deal" Holifield, he dosnt mean any other deals arent real just the fact that in his own opinion his "Deal" is more "Real" :eh:
Waatz

Postby Datsane on Sun 15/Jan/06 11:37am

Ah I see.
You like grid formats not the timed stuff :D

I like both but the grids tends to be more interesting. They could do that with the WRC could be interesting
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Waatz on Sun 15/Jan/06 11:59am

Datsane wrote:Ah I see.
You like grid formats not the timed stuff :D

I like both but the grids tends to be more interesting. They could do that with the WRC could be interesting

Yeah to me the WRC is an awesome spectical, but as far as motor"sport" goes I like it to be more a sport than a race if you know what i mean.
Waatz

Postby Steve-O on Sun 15/Jan/06 4:05pm

I have a question for all you racing buff out there, some stupid fool was trying to tell me the other day the "motorsport" is not a "sport". What do you all think? Should I be bashing this fool across the head with a cake mixing machine or does he have a point? In my opinion motorsport is 100% a sport, training, mental planning and strategies are used, drivers are pushed to extremes both mentally and physically(in cyprus rally it hit 48 celsius inside the rallycars).

What are your opinions?
Steve-O

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts