Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby yellotrace on Tue 5/Aug/14 9:37am

There is a specialized enduro 29 that was supposedly returned by the previous owner for wrong sizing.
There are some cosmetic damage on the fork(lower leg, probably scratched by rocks I assume).
I've test ridden it, other than spongy front brake, and bit of a squeak from the front rotor(?? i'm not sure)..
I think it's ok, but I'm not sure. The bike is just a bit dirty with mud stuck in odd places.
The shop will give me full warranty on the bike as the original owner.
I'm interested, but I'm a bit wary.
I would love to hear some wise comments regarding what I should look out for, ask the shop to check, and so forth.

I'm contemplating whether to wait for 2015 Kona Process, or to get this.
yellotrace
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby phunk on Tue 5/Aug/14 10:04am

With a full warrantee whats not to like? Assuming its reasonably priced as a second hand bike.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby Colin on Tue 5/Aug/14 10:56am

Generally yes.

But in this case it would still be a Specialized.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:02am

:D
great uncle bulgaria
User avatar
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby happybaboon on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:15am

More than anything else it'll come down to the reputation of the shop. If they're GC's with a history of looking after you/your friends when things go wrong with products then it's likely a safe enough purchase. If there's reports of douchery then GTFO maing.

Posting the name of the store on here may generate some useful information and/or start an amusing bitter argument.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby yellotrace on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:23am

Colin wrote:Generally yes.

But in this case it would still be a Specialized.


I guess some people really don't like Specialized :o
The shop is iRide in Wellington. It seems to be catered more to road bikes.
But they do have plenty of Specialized mountain bikes.
yellotrace
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby dwgknz on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:34am

would it be a manufacturers or a shop warranty? an how would that affect the frame warranty
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby dyl on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:39am

The ironic thing with iRide is they are next door to Surgical Obesity Services. Maybe they should just put an arrow in the front door pointing to iRide, job done :D
dyl
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby yellotrace on Tue 5/Aug/14 11:41am

dwgknz wrote:would it be a manufacturers or a shop warranty? an how would that affect the frame warranty


I'm guessing, that's what I should ask? I was told it was lifetime warranty on the frame. I'd imagine it'd be by manufacturer?
yellotrace
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 5/Aug/14 12:33pm

Lifetime = "projected lifetime of the bike" = 1-5 years, or right up until you bust it.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby Trail on Tue 5/Aug/14 3:36pm

If they are offering you the same deal as buying a new bike with warranty etc but at a good price then that is good. If the bike is what you want and the price is right for you, then go for it.

I would make sure that are giving you a good deal because they will be wanting to move the Enduo 29ers along. The reason for this is that after a couple of years of Specialised saying "We are not going to do a 650B enduro because we think the specialized enduro is optimised in 29er wheel size and going to 650B would be step backwards".

They have just recently changed their tune and released a new 650B Specialized Enduro and are saying "Best bike evaaar! - 29ers that we were saying were the best bike ever are no longer the best - these new 650B ones are!!"

I don't like the way Specialized do business - putting their competition out of business with huge lawsuits (google it). I have no experience of owning one to comment on how they ride, longevity, warranty issues etc.
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby el_booto on Tue 5/Aug/14 4:17pm

Trail wrote:If they are offering you the same deal as buying a new bike with warranty etc but at a good price then that is good. If the bike is what you want and the price is right for you, then go for it.

I would make sure that are giving you a good deal because they will be wanting to move the Enduo 29ers along. The reason for this is that after a couple of years of Specialised saying "We are not going to do a 650B enduro because we think the specialized enduro is optimised in 29er wheel size and going to 650B would be step backwards".

They have just recently changed their tune and released a new 650B Specialized Enduro and are saying "Best bike evaaar! - 29ers that we were saying were the best bike ever are no longer the best - these new 650B ones are!!"

I don't like the way Specialized do business - putting their competition out of business with huge lawsuits (google it). I have no experience of owning one to comment on how they ride, longevity, warranty issues etc.



dont let Dougal hear you say that :o
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 5/Aug/14 4:23pm

el_booto wrote:
Trail wrote:If they are offering you the same deal as buying a new bike with warranty etc but at a good price then that is good. If the bike is what you want and the price is right for you, then go for it.

I would make sure that are giving you a good deal because they will be wanting to move the Enduo 29ers along. The reason for this is that after a couple of years of Specialised saying "We are not going to do a 650B enduro because we think the specialized enduro is optimised in 29er wheel size and going to 650B would be step backwards".

They have just recently changed their tune and released a new 650B Specialized Enduro and are saying "Best bike evaaar! - 29ers that we were saying were the best bike ever are no longer the best - these new 650B ones are!!"

I don't like the way Specialized do business - putting their competition out of business with huge lawsuits (google it). I have no experience of owning one to comment on how they ride, longevity, warranty issues etc.



dont let Dougal hear you say that :o


which bit? there's so much to choose from...
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 5/Aug/14 4:27pm

Trail wrote:If they are offering you the same deal as buying a new bike with warranty etc but at a good price then that is good. If the bike is what you want and the price is right for you, then go for it.


This :withstupid:
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby Trail on Tue 5/Aug/14 4:29pm

I was talking to Dougal on Friday. The "S" word never crossed my lips. :lol:
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

48 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop