Re: Would You Buy A Used Bike From A Shop?

Postby dwgknz on Wed 6/Aug/14 8:39am

happybaboon wrote:The specialized-are-douches argument against them is the most valid. That company treats the little guys like crap. They're bullies and should be ignored.

:withstupid:
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Wed 6/Aug/14 9:35am

Velocipedestrian wrote:There is a non-durable 2006 Enduro with snapped drive-side chainstay in our house, next to a Horst-link 2005 5pot in fine condition.

Ha. I know that 2005 5 Spot and did many happy 1000s of km of trails on it. The 2009 frame I replaced it with broke :( but they replaced it for me under warranty :) I totally broke my own rule of never buying the first generation of a bike design!!

Durability of Specialized bikes is on par with other big bike manufacturers in my experience.

The bigger question is do you want a 29er when for that style of bike most of the industry (including Specialized) have jumped on the 650B bandwagon?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby yellotrace on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:05am

Trail wrote:The bigger question is do you want a 29er when for that style of bike most of the industry (including Specialized) have jumped on the 650B bandwagon?

Should I be concerned with the bandwagon? The wheel size is one of the factors for my hesitation, but for a different reason.
I'm about 175cm in height with shorter legs and longer torso*(edited not arm). The standover on that enduro is quite tight for me. I'd be barely clearing the top tube when i'm wearing bike shoes (with a pair of converse, my balls are having intimate conversation with the cold tube).

Also the short test run made it feel like I'm riding on it, not riding it. The spongy brakes may have made that feeling worse.
I didn't find it hard to maneuver though. I don't really plan on racing, and I'm just looking for a fun bike. I'm wondering if small wheel size is better for my purpose and fit.
Last edited by yellotrace on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.
yellotrace
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:07am

sounds like it rode/fit like arse tbh

dont buy it
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:07am

yellotrace wrote: I'm wondering if small wheel size is better for my purpose and fit.

Probably.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:31am

My experience of wheel size - smaller wheels feel more playful on flow type tracks - having said that they are not quite so stable in the rough stuff. Bigger wheels do seem to hold speed better but are more of a handful in tight twisty stuff.

That aside - get a bike that is the right fit for you. Even if you get an awesome deal you will be kicking yourself if the fit aint good. Double so if you end up nutting yourself cos you do not have the stand over.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:41am

wachtourak wrote:Also, judging any brand just because "you've seen a broken frame" from that brand is stupid. Everything breaks. I've seen broken frames from pretty much every brand. Yes, even Turner Mr Velocipedestrian.

Or like Mr Cruise says, judging something now from how a brand was 10 years ago is also dumb. There is nothing wrong with Specialized's quality of manufacture I'm sure.

Totes agree, Mr Wachtourak.

Just illustrating the described circumstances with a pair of frames in my house that match the discussed criteria.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 6/Aug/14 10:48am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Also, judging any brand just because "you've seen a broken frame" from that brand is stupid. Everything breaks. I've seen broken frames from pretty much every brand. Yes, even Turner Mr Velocipedestrian.

Or like Mr Cruise says, judging something now from how a brand was 10 years ago is also dumb. There is nothing wrong with Specialized's quality of manufacture I'm sure.

Just illustrating the described circumstances with a pair of frames in my house that match the discussed criteria.

yeah, and i was just sayin' about the Enduros cos those 2005/2006 models ALL seemed to break. Wasnt implying ALL speshies broke.

And as for the frame not fitting / your balls touching the top tube?? DONT BUY IT!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 7/Aug/14 10:10pm

swtchbckr wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

yeah, and i was just sayin' about the Enduros cos those 2005/2006 models ALL seemed to break. Wasnt implying ALL speshies broke.

And as for the frame not fitting / your balls touching the top tube?? DONT BUY IT!

:withstupid:
enough questions already. the answer is obvious (and I'm a bit of a specialized bitch)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 7/Aug/14 10:10pm

What if your balls touch the top tube because they're extra dangly?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 7/Aug/14 10:18pm

happybaboon wrote:What if your balls touch the top tube because they're extra dangly?

as this is a purely hypothetical question, a well fitted bra should fix the problem.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby gumby on Fri 8/Aug/14 1:57pm

If they're plain huge and you've got some spare cash...

gumby
Member for: 5 years 3 months

Cycling - Latest Posts