I'll give them 5 years
6%
I'll give them 10 years
6%
I'll give them 15 years
6%
I'll give them 20 years
No votes
I'll think about buying one when they are shown to be reliable as a Toyota, Subaru or Mazda
34%
I'll think about buying them when they hit the second hand market as they'll be dirt cheap
3%
I'll never buy a Chinese car for political reasons
9%
I'll never buy a Chinese car because I'm too cool
16%
I bought a Lada so will never need another car
6%

Total voters : 32

Re: Would You Buy A Chinese Car/ Ute?

Postby Spyder on Mon 31/Aug/09 8:59pm

Oli - it's more that they are just starting to develop their own* cars/style. Most of the older stuff was things like old VW Santanas/Passats made under license or just old gear flogged off to them. They are also now realising that with the demise of the cheap and shitty eastern-european cars (Dacia, Lada, Yugo etc), there's a ready and willing market for cheap and shitty cars from the other East.

* That is their own style is to copy something from the West and make it uglier.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Iseneye on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:00pm

j2hyde wrote:When Macpac moved their manufacturing offshore did their gear get significantly cheaper - like sweatshop cheaper? No. It did not.

How much for a set of sweatshop made Nike shoes? Way more than the $10 they are worth.

I have nothing useful to add except for the following Flight of the Conchord Lyrics:

Oohh, come on, sont zootka they`re turning kids into slaves
They`re turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers
But what`s the real cost, `cause the sneakers don`t seem that much cheaper
Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got little kid slaves making them
What are your overheads?
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:01pm

I'd buy one. If it came with a full five year or 100000km warranty. :)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:02pm

Spyder wrote:Oli - it's more that they are just starting to develop their own* cars/style. Most of the older stuff was things like old VW Santanas/Passats made under license or just old gear flogged off to them. They are also now realising that with the demise of the cheap and shitty eastern-european cars (Dacia, Lada, Yugo etc), there's a ready and willing market for cheap and shitty cars from the other East.

* That is their own style is to copy something from the West and make it uglier.
Cheers, Spyder - that makes sense. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby CrustyPVC on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:04pm

The Chinese manufacturers of vehicles have tended to purchase designs of old vehicles from the big boys and make their own tweaks. A key thing in making a car for the world's biggest prospective market, where safety is not so important is price. While there are rich Chinese in China. There are a heck of a lot more that are not so rich.
However the safety of a new Chinese car is likely to be comparable to that of a second hand vehicle of a similar price, And you get that new car smell....
CrustyPVC
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby avantibill on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:30pm

Spyder wrote:Oli - it's more that they are just starting to develop their own* cars/style. Most of the older stuff was things like old VW Santanas/Passats made under license or just old gear flogged off to them. They are also now realising that with the demise of the cheap and shitty eastern-european cars (Dacia, Lada, Yugo etc), there's a ready and willing market for cheap and shitty cars from the other East.

That was like the Hyundai of the mid-eighties that had Cortina running gear and if you look further back, Nissan's of the of the fifties were basically Austins made under licence (from my memory - don't quote me on that)
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:44pm

My only experience with chinese made vehicles was as "Bus" in Laos, that was a chinese made ripoff of a russian flatbed army truck. It sucked. But like dirt poor people everywhere the locals were just happy to have something to save them more backbreaking labour - even if it didn't work half the time.

I'm glad I wasn't born in some developing country and resigned to grinding poverty. And to celebrate this masterful stroke of luck I'm going to ensure I never buy a chinese made POS peasant car. :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Spyder on Mon 31/Aug/09 9:46pm

Not sure if they still are, but they were making "new" Hillman Hunters in Iran until recently and I think you can buy "new" Morris Oxfords in India. Not that buying someone's old designs is necessarily bad - the first BMW cars were rebadged Austins - and it hasn't worked out too badly for them.

You might get that new car smell with a GWM ute/car, but boy will you get smacked with some righteous depreciation when you try to sell it. Will be like the early Korean days, the only ones who give who a half decent amount will be the same franchise dealers and then only if you sign up for a newer model......
Spyder

Postby Tama on Tue 1/Sep/09 8:58am

The Dog & Lemon Guide reviews the Great Wall utes: http://dogandlemon.com/site/2009/07/10/ ... -vehicles/ (PDF of full review here: http://dogandlemon.com/site/wp-content/ ... urrent.pdf )

And in 2006 they wrote...

http://dogandlemon.com/media/General%20 ... hinese.pdf wrote:We predict that over the next ten years the American, Japanese and European carmakers are going to be bloodied by the Chinese automotive business community. No sooner will a new car plant spring up than the Chinese will build one around the corner that makes the same or a similar model costing a third less.

When the Western nations protest the Chinese government will make consoling noises and there will be a number of high-profile raids and factory closures, but nothing will really change under the surface.

In ten years’ time the Chinese will have copied enough technology to be able to make cars without the Western carmakers at all, and then the Chinese will become Asia’s dominant vehicle exporter as well.

The difference between China and all the other countries that have happily (or unhappily) Westernised their economies in the hope of newfound wealth is that the Chinese are:

1) Too big to push around, and

2) The Chinese have a virtually limitless home market. Unlike any other Asian country, China, in the long term, does not need to export in order to survive and prosper. When you have one quarter of the world’s population as a domestic market, you don’t need the rest of the world. It doesn’t matter if the rest of the world puts an economic blockade around China in ten years time.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Tue 1/Sep/09 9:32am

Tama wrote:The Dog & Lemon Guide reviews the Great Wall utes: http://dogandlemon.com/site/2009/07/10/ ... -vehicles/ (PDF of full review here: http://dogandlemon.com/site/wp-content/ ... urrent.pdf )

Wow, under reliability they say dodgy ( with 'probably' in MUCH smaller text ), see "what goes wrong". Under "what goes wrong" they say too soon to tell. . . .

Safety have scathing reviews because it lacks 3point centre rear belts and airbags. they grudgingly admit it meets all safety regs it is required to, but that is hidden in long text. . .

bias much?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 1/Sep/09 12:54pm

Spyder wrote:Pretty sure that Rhys Millen is doing the drift thing in the US in one of these!

I think I saw a clip of him doing pikes peak in one the otheday on the idiot box :)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 1/Sep/09 1:15pm

I think the dog and lemon guide is a bunch of B.S. It's been wrong about every car I've owned.
Having said that, I wouldn't buy a Chinese car without alot of research into its safety (or lack of).

Although, having said THAT, I do drive a Hyundai, so...
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 1/Sep/09 1:39pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Although, having said THAT, I do drive a Hyundai, so...

Just so long as you won it, or didn't have any choice in the matter ;)
Spyder

Postby pissface on Tue 1/Sep/09 1:54pm

thorg wrote:... they grudgingly admit it meets all safety regs it is required to, but that is hidden in long text. . .

bias much?

yeah, weren't hondas equally crappy re safety? I mean, just meeting the required standards and certainly not exceeding them? I'm talking those late 80's/early 90's accords, civics, etc. Plenty of people driving the damn things though.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby neels on Tue 1/Sep/09 2:32pm

The dog and lemon guide hates every car I've ever owned, so I must have been very very lucky and bought one of the good ones every time.

If you followed the advice in that book you wouldn't buy a diesel, a 4wd, anything turbo, anything european, or anything that's not a fwd sedan from a Toyota factory.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts