Re: World Heritage Status Could Be Lost!

Postby ryda on Fri 20/Jul/12 1:20pm

ok I'm lost then....(nothing unusual)
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Yogi on Fri 20/Jul/12 2:04pm

punkture wrote:
The environmental effects of increased bus numbers in Glenorchy, including noise and air pollution is also of concern. And this is also the case for the Holyford Valley, one of the last true wilderness roads. 15 years of construction equipment, including fuel, fumes and noise would be rather significant. The reason that it looks like there are no other significant environmental effects is because the Milford Dart proposal has not given the full detailed engineering and building plan! There could be huge environmental affects on the Holyford if avalanche control and snow clearing such as is carried out on the Milford Road was needed to keep it open in winter. And what happens if the company runs out of money half way through, or is affected by flooding or even major earthquakes? It is Fiordland.

But besides these, surely the greatest single environmental effect of this proposal is the precedent that would be set by allowing it to go ahead. It contravenes the National Park Management Plans and the whole reason national parks were created.If it can go ahead then other applications for development will be more likely, such as a Gondola in the Greenstone Valley. I do not know the details but it is purported that a clause exists in DOCs agreement with Nghai Tahu about allowing the Gondola to go ahead if other developments do.

Noise and air pollution from buses surely would be less if the distances they travel have been dramatically reduced, even if there is an increase in traffic. Construction pollution wouldn't be any worse than any other large scale development and to argue against this you would have to argue against all large scale development anywhere as they too will be increasing air pollution. Even though there hasn't been a full detailed engineering and building plan doesn't mean people could safely estimate the negative effects... but as far as I can tell there really aren't that many. Unless no one has bothered to make them public.

I agree that being in a National Park makes it less attractive though. But as Thorg points out, it's nothing new.
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Yogi on Fri 20/Jul/12 2:13pm

Richie_D wrote: It is basically a chance to divert traffic off a public road (the long way around) on to a private road and capture a rent from that. It's not going to generate any additional tourism, and in fact it might harm it.

It may harm it, it may not. Has any work been done on this?

Richie_D wrote: Afterall there are plenty of nice mountains in the Northern Hemisphere that have tunnels through them. They're OK to look at/visit but not a patch on the NZ mountains for outdoor recreation, hence 000s of tourists travel to NZ to visit places that are unmodified. I think the World Heritage Status is recognising this.

There are also some pretty amazing mountains in Europe that have roads, trains, cable cars, gondala's, walking tracks, mountain biking tracks, bolted climbing routes, etc. going up them that attract 000's of tourists.
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Tramping - Latest Posts